New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 8-14-2019 - A day of Adjustments  (Read 86 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 8-14-2019 - A day of Adjustments
« on: August 15, 2019, 07:00:40 AM »
Have you ever had a day where you should have not gone to the range? Well, yesterday was one of those days for me....it was hot and humid again and I should have drank more water or Gatoraide....

It was dropping from 94.2 to 92.4 degrees F while we were there at the range, showed up around 4 PM, the hottest part of the day! and stayed there to almost 7 PM....

Did not know what to take with me so I grabbed several rifles that i have not shot in a while, like the Mossberg MVP in 223, or the FNH, FNAR in 308 Win, with its short 16" heavy barrel....wanted to shoot the 26 Nosler in the Nosler Liberty rifle us because it does not like the 120 grain bullets, it prefers the heavier bullets.....

Had trouble with the CVA Accura V2 last week so I did not have any targets for it, it would not open after the second round!! it was frozen stuck in the close position....took it home and worked on took it apart and tighten several screws on it that have come loose. So I did not clean it will do that this morning....

When retrieving the targets, had to stop and catch my breath, it was so hot and humid, and there was not breeze at all, yesterday. I should have drank more water....stay hydrated more!! What this shows is that all of me is subject to a better healthier me!! My vision was blurred,

There was a lot of scope adjusting going on late yesterday! I did it at the range instead of waiting to do it here.....

What is shows is the results of yesterday bad effort....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:02:15 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Range Results 8-14-2019 - A day of Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 07:32:34 AM »
Bo chasing the bull can be exhausting even when you are sitting at the bench.  --099-780 Better days ahead at the range, stay cool my friend.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 07:51:29 AM »
The 223 I plan on taking and putting on the ATV as I go from food plot to food plot....so it is mainly for yotes....other than that I don't need it. Adjust the scope on this rifle a couple of times ....The FNH in the semi-auto 308 and short 16" barrel shot much better a few years ago than it does now...or is it just me? The Nosler Liberty rifles in 26 Nosler does not like the lighter bullets, when I bought this rifle more than a year ago, there was no components for reloading this caliber, now there is (just like the 6.5 PRC, there is no components available for reloading, maybe in a year or two) but one thing for sure it does not like the 120 gn bullets! at all, both the box of 120 and 140 gn I bought when I purchased this rifle last year....just trying to shoot them up so I can have components to start my reloads for....but have about 15 more rounds to shoot up before I can start to reload for it.....

The 50 caliber Muzzle Loader was shot at 50 yards, not at 100 yards like I did last year....just don't have confidence in the rifle just yet...maybe in another trip or two to the range it will be good. Last week took it to the range and after two shots it locked closed on me...wow was I surprised, finally got this unloaded and took it apart this past week and did some basic maintenance on it and it shot good at 50 yards, but will next time I go will be at 100 yards....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:56:58 AM »
Gut - Try not to sit very long at the range bench...LOL...but try to stay on the go to chat with others at the range...but for the last two weeks have been there by myself....So it was a bad day all around.

The 26 Nosler is probably one of the most pickiest rifles that I own...it tells you quickly that it doesn't like the 140 gn pill.....

But will keep trying and it also time for the last shoot before the season starts so next week will start bring out some of my most accurate rilfe and shoot them to see how ready they are....hopefully it will cool down...but I do need to stay hydrated more.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:18:05 AM »
it's hard to concentrate when you are dehydrated. better days ahead
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Yari - You are so right. Everything starts to go, south!! Think it affects everything...so when I go down next week to help Split Toe to help get the food plots, will take frequent breaks work 30 minutes and take an hour break...just kidding....but will stay better hydrated for sure. Was zapped from the night before when I went and saw the TN Smokies and did not sleep very well the night before....trying to figure out what I was going to take to the range with me....LOL....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 02:23:27 PM »
IMO- i can't drink enough when the temps are that hot and i'm working. i know i'm in trouble if i'm not taking 'bathroom breaks'. that's my main gauge and it's worked well for me. also, start out 'super hydrated'. that way, you don't need to play catch-up

lessons learned. be careful
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
After the bad range results on the 14th. I have to re-exam all the parts of my shooting from my health, my vision, my trigger and my arthritis.....I think after setting back and replaying over and over in my mind the shots, the rifles, the targets and knowing all the rifles could have shot better except for the 6.5 PRC, because it does not like the 120 gn bullets....and looking back on all the targets that I have shot previously with those rifles and seeing the results.....it has to be me...the shooter...the bad shooter on this occasion....

Will start with more water, more time in between shots, 7 to 10 minutes for regular calibers when it hot will wait at least 15 minutes and for the mags, at least 30 minutes in between shots....find shade trees of cooler places to stay or stand and or it.......

Lesson Learned......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »
I've had a bad habit of overdoing it out in the heat over the years, finally learning to do a better job of hydrating and periodically resting.  It kind of gets into a downward spiral otherwise, and continuing to work doesn't necessarily produce worthwhile results.  I'm sure as we're all aging that's part of the problem too . . .
Hang in there Bo!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 05:10:16 AM »
Will be going for the last or next to the last time to the range with Billy S on or about the 28th of August, still plenty of hot, but that will be after a trip down to GA to work on Food Plots and to clean up camp to get it ready for the upcoming season....got lots of traps to put out and to cut the grass and the weeds around the campers...but Split Toe, Metalman, Deerhead, Cobbguy and Jap51 will also be down there to help out...but all of us are getting older and all have long time retired, except for Metalman...LOL...

But will go to the range a couple of more times before with Billy and maybe once by myself a quick run out there just to verify that what I will be using is still on....

My most accurate rifle is not one of my Coopers (they are close)  but an old Savage that I have, an LE-1 and Varmints 308, with its Accuracy Trigger and it heavy barrel and it loves the Berger 155 Gn and the Vhit 140 combo I use and the Nikon Monarch Scope 1.5-6X x 44mm...usually shoots through same hole at 100 yards....and lets don't forget the Remington LTR in 308 with it Burris Electro Dot that is always used in the rain...and take it apart and clean it there at camp and put it back together again and the sucker shoots 3/4" 3  groups all day long...it too like the 155 gn Berger...

But will stay hydrated when I am down in GA for sure, thanks Mad for the post....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 08:23:32 AM »
what kinds of traps are you putting out?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »
Yari - the big deer traps, they are like mouse traps but only bigger!!! --099-780
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 12:34:10 PM »
Yari - the big deer traps, they are like mouse traps but only bigger!!! --099-780

got it @--0--0105 I thought it was predators control or something
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 07:14:52 PM »
Will throw the Mossberg 223 bolt action on the ATV just in case I run into any predators, like yotes.....or hogs, or panthers, or even bears....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad