New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 8-9-2019  (Read 159 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 8-9-2019
« on: August 09, 2019, 03:38:49 PM »
This week's adventure was a very simple one, to get a three rifles on paper. The weather was extremely hot and humid, more hot than humid, the wind was from the NW 5 - 10 mph and then mirage was medium 100 yards. All targets were shot at 100 yards except as noted.....

The first one was the 308 Colt-Cooper, 10 twist in the barrel and with a Leupld VX6 2-12X, 30mm tube sitting on top of it....I wanted to try three loads in it, one load was 168 gn Nosler BT and the other two was for the 155 gn Berger VLD....now as I have stated that this rifle has 10" RH twist in it and supposedly shoots the 165/168 the best....I have tried a six different loads with it and have not been satisfied with the 1 inch groups for 3 shots which is my normal groups, so today I am beginning to try different load and different bullets in the Colt-Cooper M2012....I search for different loads and bullets and with this specific model from Cooper....surprisingly the 150 and the 155 gn bullets kept coming up so today I thought I would try and find out what is what with this rifle.....

C-C 308 target scan 10 is from the normal C-C load that I normal shoot, the first two shots were adjustments and settle in on three shot group, not bad...The scan 11 was from the 155 Gn Berger (The Savage LE-1 load, it has 12" RH twist) and the last scan #12 is from another Cooper, it is from the Custom Cooper M54 19" Barrel also it has  12" twist in it short barrel....not bad again...

So this old dog is going to start loading up 155 gn Berger 155 VLD bullets in it from now own...

After the first initial adjustment, did not do any adjusting, I will tonight once I get a chance to think about the targets......

The first reply is all about the 22-250 Rem....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results 8-9-2019
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »
This post is about the 22-250 Rem in the XR100. I think Remington only made this rifle about 3 years or so. It is a single shot 22-250 with a Swarovski A3 4-12 scope on it...very good scope...

The first scan was with from another 22-250 Rifle, a 50 gn Nosler BT using H380 Powder, Fed210 Primer and R-P Cases....and the other two are from the same bullet, different amounts of powder with different powders used the 52 gn Sierra HPBT for both loads....did the same thing with the rifle once I got it on paper at 100 yard, then I did not adjust the scope at all....so the scope power was the same for both rifles....so load changes are coming to both rifles.....

The next reply is all about the smoke pole...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »
My main Smole Pole is a CVA Accura II with the Bergara Barrel on it, got it about 5 or 6 years ago and it has been a trouper...shot some very good 2 and 3 shot groups.....
I got a 24x17 piece of paper for the CVA and use it for the other two rifles by putting a 2" target dot on the target on the extreme corners of the target, in order to save a target of two....you will see the other two holes a set of 308 holes and a set of 22-2650 holes and then there are two 50 caliber holes in the paper at 50 yards....forgot the cleaning kit for the CVA so I fire two shots and will shot it next Wednesday....put the bore sited only tag back on the muzzle loader.....

This target was set up at 50 yards only so you can tell.....

The guy next to me was shooting a Remington Model 7, in 7mm-08, he had a Vortex Viper 5-25X scope and was shooting it only 50 yards...he had the scope set on 25X even at 50 yards, I put the spotting scope on his target and it was very good....but he gave me the once fired brass........
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
That middle target on the 22-250 looks pretty good Bo!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
nice groups bo. the loads seem to be good. that's a lot of shooting for hot nasty conditions. I hope you hydrate liberally
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:14:59 PM »
Knowing that I was going to the range within the next two days and taking the smoke pole with me and really not sure how far off it is or is not, I started looking for 17"x 24", a "C" size and found a file pocket full of them and also have it more card stock. This color is pink with a 2" yellow bulls eye stuck in the middle of it...so you will be seeing lot more yellow and pink targets for the remainder of the shooting season. I think I have more folder with regular white card stock. The reason why I like the Card Stock thickness of the paper and leave a clearer hole in the target....

Mad - Yes and thanks. I agree with you, will finish shooting the remainder 9 or 10 rounds then switch over to the 52 Gn Sierra HPBT round with H380 powder...Load Change coming....

Yari - Yes and thanks to you also. The conditions were brutal today I took the temperature in the shade and it settle down from 104.4 down to 92.7. I also grabbed my Flute Temperature Gun and shot the concrete rest and the concrete shady surfaces. Most places were reading between 97 and 100 F....started around 10:43 AM (First shot) Mirage was medium at 100 yards and I would only be guessing at 200 yards where it was pretty bad at that range!! Wind was from the NE and the range faces East with the West being at your back in the late PM....BP was steady 30.17 Hg it did not change at all while shooting...but it was hot and humid, sticky as well....

Am planning on going to the range next Wednesday 8-14....

Range Observations - Most guy under 30 showed up with their Black Rifles...the 6 guys that showed up all had their AR out.....all of them had more than one of them...

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »
Bo, just fyi - that 52 gr Sierra hpbt is what I settled on for my Ruger M77 in .223.  The best powder I found for it was Benchmark.  Not sure that will be a contender in your 22-250 given the higher case capacity but it has served me well in the Ruger (pretty slow twist at 12 or 13 if I recall correctly)
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 07:04:08 AM »
Mad - Thanks so much, Yes I have a pound or two of Benchmark that I will do some research into and the other loads in my other 22-250 are RL15 powders and the one that shot best was the RL-15 loads using 34.91 gns of it.....seat was 2.355 which is about .020" off the lans....that is quiet a "jump", but it works good on the custom 22-250 Remington with a Shilen Barrel on it...and it looks like it works for this one as well.....

Currently in the Remington XR100, single shot, in 22-250 Rem topped off with a Swarovski Habicht A3 with a 6-18X x 50mm....was set at 12X for the testing....so some load changes and more load testing will be forth coming for this rifle....
--------------------------------

One side note, was at the range this past Friday and was chatting with a guy when he brought me a case down with a blacken primer pocket...it was a 243 Win round. He said that when it was fired that is just "sounded funny".  He asked me what was wrong with it, that started a series of question from me and among the questions I asked him after I got my hand held magnifier out and l did a quick inspection or the case I told him that he had a loose primer pocket, no stress cracks on the brass and at the base of the case and the spent primer was smooth, no sighs of pressure....I asked him if he had changed primers lately and he said no. Then I asked him how many times has he reloaded the round and he did not know (he did tell me that he still uses the old balance beam for his reloads and did not want to spend the money to get into the digital world....then I showed him my boxes of ammo that I have on all of my cases, it shows how many time has it has been loaded. He just shook his head and said that he thought that he kept records on his reloads....

With Black Hills make such great ammo, I don't (have not yet in over 20 years) reload any of my 223 rounds. I check the twist in the barrels and shoot only the 75 or 77 gns rounds, but I do have the dies and save all the brass that I fire through them....just in case....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 09:37:24 PM »
My ARs have enough twist to shoot those heavy Black Hills loads but my other .223s can't cut it.  Even 55 gr rounds are tough to get a good group on.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »
Mad - I have always said let the rifle tell you what it likes...yes, when I built mine, made sure the twist was slow enough to handle the heavy bullets...form 69 to 77 gns...I have one that takes lighter bullets and I bought the rifle used from a guy (it was a good deal) who doesn't know a thing about them...I have taken it to the range one time and tried to shoot those heavier bullets but with no luck....so it going to be interesting to find out what it likes....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 09:14:18 AM »
My ARs have enough twist to shoot those heavy Black Hills loads but my other .223s can't cut it.  Even 55 gr rounds are tough to get a good group on.
I'm shooting a Model 700 ADL HB Remington in a .223 (had it at Summer Blast in KY) using a 55gn pill and shooting 1" groups at 300+ yards. I changed to a 52gn sierra pill and that tightened up the group to .5" it's a tack driver at 200 yards.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
Gut - I remember how accurate it was!! You got a good one!! I have one of the first Mossberg MVP in 223 and it shoot the 75 gn through the same hole at 100 yards....I think yours is more accurate than the Mossberg is....I will be loading up the 52 gn when these 50 gn Nosler BT OR will try another load....I got the Mossberg probably 10 years ago for yote's and other critters and always take it down with me on Work Weekend in GA......Instead of taking a AR style rifle with me.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »
Gut - I remember how accurate it was!! You got a good one!! I have one of the first Mossberg MVP in 223 and it shoot the 75 gn through the same hole at 100 yards....I think yours is more accurate than the Mossberg is....I will be loading up the 52 gn when these 50 gn Nosler BT OR will try another load....I got the Mossberg probably 10 years ago for yote's and other critters and always take it down with me on Work Weekend in GA......Instead of taking a AR style rifle with me.....
BO - I got those 52gn pills from you at the B4K auction, best auction grab since I got the TH Cornhole boards that HM really wanted.  --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 10:07:25 PM »
Gut - I was thinking that...man those 52 gn, 500 hundred of them I think it was.....yes you got them at a steal of a price...LOL....glad you could use them....LOL...I have about 200 of them left and will be loading the 22-250 with them....

Thanks....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad