New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 8-1-19  (Read 215 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 8-1-19
« on: August 02, 2019, 05:41:20 AM »
It's August folks and it is Hot, Humid, Sticky and Muggy!! It was 92.4 F degrees and 61% humidity. BP was 30.19 and it was holding steady. No wind or Mirage to speak of, and the clouds was approaching. It rained for a brief period, but not enough to quit shooting. I instantly started drinking water and kept hydrated for sure. It was one of those days. When I got to the range at 4 PM yesterday I was the only one there (see pix) and after almost 3 hours, nobody, except for Billy showed up right at 5:15 PM....We were there until 6:45 PM then we found some AC and Mexican dinner - Wow all in the same spot!!

Overall it was another good day with some exceptions. Took 5 different calibers - A 260 Rem, 7x57, 308, 6.5 CM and a 6.5 PRC....tried a new load and seating depth for the 260 Rem Savage-Shilen Model 10 rifle. The load seems to work out pretty good but will need to adjust the scope down 6 clicks and to the left 2 clicks - going to "walk" the scope in see target scan pix. Also the Colt-Cooper M2012 was off a little, I know I pulled the first shot, but the group wasn't what I was expecting - see target scan.

The 7x57 Cooper M52 has always shot about 1/2 inch low and will make the adjustments on the scope this morning....The rest of the groups were fine. Tired to get them all to come in at 1/2" to 1" high at 100 yards, somewhere in that distance....The 6.5 PRC and the 6.5 CM had good groups as well....

Rest of them pix posted are just normal range shots.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results 8-1-19
« on: August 02, 2019, 05:41:20 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results 8-1-19
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 05:43:18 AM »
More Range Results and Pictures

"Empty Chamber" flags I got off of Amazon as well as the chamber indicators and put them two together, got 5 of them and gave Billy one of them last night...they are a good safety measure and even though I was there buy myself, I put on the flashing red light and put chamber flags in the barrel before I walk down range, good safety habit to get into.....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:00:56 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 05:45:16 AM »
The last post for the miscellaneous range pictures.....

Next week, it is Smoke Pole time, Will bring the CVA Accura 2 with the Bergara Barrel and the T/C Omega both in 50 caliber....

The story behind the Yellow Targets - I was working in the start up office in Nashville, (Brentwood) for about 6 to 7 months trying to work with the client in establishing a Western Tennessee office, but it did not work out...it close about 3 months after I left and headed back to the main office. While I was there, I notice that there was this 250 sheet of card stock paper that was yellow and that had been in the office a very long time, matter of fact it came from another office we had in the Midwest...and nobody was using it, so I asked the Secretary if anybody was had any interest in the pack of paper, she said no not at all, so being the nice guy that I am, I asked her if I could use some of the paper. She said yes go ahead. So slowly I started printing some targets up using the card stock paper, which is twice as thick as normal paper...so have about half of them left, you can certainly tell them at the range for sure....LOL....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:57:18 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
nice groups. you are a better man than me in that heat. nice work
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 04:35:36 PM »
Very nice.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »
Bo - for the loads you've worked up & the types of powder you're using, how much would you expect those groups to change on let's say a 40 degree day vs 90?  I would assume there could be some POI shift, but would the spread also be likely to change based on your experience? 

I know from your other posts that you're not really out there trying to push the outer envelope of muzzle velocity with your handloads, so would assume you're not likely to get into a significant overpressure situation at the hotter temps but would like to learn from your experience.

I was doing some shooting a week or two ago as well, in similar temps.  Was pretty happy with my 20" barrelled AR using Varget and 60 gr Sierra HPs, and also my Ruger M77 using Benchmark and 40 gr Nosler BTs both at 200 yds, but wondering what I'll see on a much cooler fall or winter day.  Plan to try it when the time comes but that will be a few months off I suspect.  Both of those loads are at the upper end of published recipes for Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler.  Didn't see any overpressure signs on the brass or primers, tried to keep the ammo in the shade but temps out on the deck were still in the 90+ range and I was probably only waiting 1-2 minutes between shots so there was some barrel heat too, across a half dozen shots in each rifle, three shot groups with a break in between.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 07:10:33 PM »
Mad - As you know, everything matters, from Temperature, to Elevation to Humidity to Mirage, to You.....The Temperature lost would be close to a 100 fps, this is based on just the temp spread on a 3000 fps muzzle velocity at ambient temp or 60 degrees F. The 90 degree velocity would be right at 3093 fps and the 40 degrees F would be around 2965 fps from a 24" barrel.

And you are spot on, I am a slow poke when it comes to reloading....I try to stay within the 83% to 88% load factor of any round, and inspect each round before full length or neck sizing the case and check for primer pressure signs and yet to have them. I was just resizing some 308 Win brass just yesterday and was looking at each case under the magnifying light and check the entire case before the re-sizing process starts...the first thing I look at under the mag light is the neck for cracks or pressure signs, then I flip the round around and look at the primer pocket for pressure....then if any are found at either end of any where on the case I will discard it, throw it away! have a box of fresh (Lapua) brass that I pick a piece for this and that, if I have to discard them... 

Now lets get into the difference in where I shoot at Elevation 804 Ft ASL and where I hut at which is about 421 F ASL. This makes a big difference in the BC from where I shoot at which is about 12.2% lower than where I hunt at....say I hunt with a bullet that has a BC of .539 then 12.2% less would be around .533 which makes a small difference at 400 yards. the bullet would drop about .2" more than....then we must considered the humidity and the barrel length as well....and the cold bore shot! All in all, I would say that you lose approx 200 fps on the first cold bore shot early in the morning with the humidity is high somewhere in the mountains of Colorado say about 8500 ft ASL....

I try to think of everything when it comes to shooting...once I get home and posted it, I will often crank in the velocity I get from the LabRadar and can say that muzzle velocity is not a big factor if you shoot deer at a max of 75 yards as I do, or try to do...I stop and think for a minute or two about the bullet and where and why did I hit the target where I did..was it me or the gun or a combo of both....one thing that I did notice that the first two weeks out on the range, my breathing was not in check, I was pulling the trigger and breathing at the same time, this is not good...so I started to think about the target the next day and try to replay the sequence of the shot. After that it (the groups) got better and better.....

I like a 20" heavy barrel, a short 308, now see where Bergara makes a special purpose "SP" model with a 20" short heavy barrel and they make it in 6.5 CM and a 308 Win. Did not know that until I went and picked my Bargera B14 HMR up...

My shot as about 7 minutes for regular rounds and up to 20 minutes for magnums, this is just me. Do not have a chart or anything like that but do have a Fluke Temperature Gun that I have use for years and years and will not shoot another round down the barrel until the temperature starts to drop some....that way I can walk and talk to other shooters at the range and if it was last week set on the tail gate of my truck and drink plenty of water...yes it is hot and sticky this time of the year...

Thanks for going to the range and trying to get your deer rifles sighted in...and hand loading also, it is a wonderful hobby, especially since I am retired now. I bet I spend at least 4 to 6 hours a day in the gun room....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad