New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Run Out  (Read 155 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Run Out
« on: July 30, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
Don't know if I (or Dutch or PA) has talked much about this subject - Run Out Gauge.....As most of you know I seat the bullet three times, I see how much I got to seat it then eyeball it so I can seat the bullet on 120 degree axis (1/3 at each depth then move the round another 120 degree and the final 1/3 distance and move it another 120 degree), therefore if I do this then I can reduce the error of the seating error. Hope I said it correct? This could be from you seating press or your dies or whatever....in my mind if I seat this at 120 degree three times then I know I have corrected some of the error.

I started doing this many moons ago (actually 15 to 20 years ago) and then would check them on my RCBS Run Out Gauge (see picture) I know I have reduce the normal .010   drift with the 3 stage positioning that I do I can make my round more accurate....As you also can see in the picture I am reloading with a new load (40.302 to 40.311) Gns of Winchester 760 Powder and loading up 10 rounds of 127 Gn Barnes LRX bullet for the 260 Rem., Savage-Shilen Model 10....and will seat it out farther on the lans from 2.802" to 2.820".

The 10 I loaded up had an average Run Out of .003" off center....so this load, if the powder is right, should produce a good group.....
I have found out that if you have a .002 and under your groups will be great, and from .003 to .005 the groups will be very good and above the .007 to ?? You will need to use these round as fouling shots....LOL....this is just my take on the use of the Run Out Gauge.....would like to hear from others that use a run out gauge and see what they have to say.....

Bo 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Run Out
« on: July 30, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Run Out
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 07:48:39 PM »
Bo - I think I know your answer but want to verify:  Do you crimp the necks on any of your reloads?

I have enough bits and pieces of hardware to build up a runout gage, just haven't gotten around to that yet.  You/Dutch/PA commented some time ago about rotating the cartridges during the seating process, and I have been doing that since but never stopped to actually verify the impact it has on runout.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 04:07:19 AM »
Mad - No, I don't find it necessary to crimp the reloads in the South hunting deer. Now, I do when i was going on Safari and out West Elk Hunting...I would crimp the necks and put some clear nail polish on the primers and around the neck where the bullet and cast meet....would do this as a final step to ensure that the bullets would stay dry during the trip over there and out there....

The other day I was distracted and accidentally reloaded a bullet into an empty case....ruined the bullet and the case. it took every thing that I could mustered up for me to save the gun powder...had to throw the case, and bullet in the trash....so that is why I don't crimp, I feel like the bullet has enough pressure is seating the bullet and the pressure is equalized when I seat them on the 120 degree axis....

I will check the run out on all of them and then number them from the smallest to the largest amount of off set....when reloading last night, I checked all 10 of my reloads and they were out by an average of .003". One was over the .007 and have mark it with a black sharpie and put a red dot on the lowest three....will fire the .007 and .005 as fouling shots tomorrow afternoon at the range....despite the threat of scattered showers.....

Thanks for the reminder that we did post something on the run out many years ago....

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:09:35 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 07:01:26 AM »
I'm not crimping my rifle loads either.  I have a crimp die in my .223 set and used it at first, but didn't see any benefits in performance with it (velocity or accuracy) and with the relatively low recoil/mass of that round I think the risk of bullet movement in the magazine is nil.  I have one of those hammer-type inertial bullet pullers, and it's really surprising how hard you have to beat on it to get a bullet moving even when it's not crimped.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »
Today loaded up 12 rounds of 308 for the Colt-Cooper 308, using 42.000 gns of Varget and Lapua Brass (once fired) CCI-BR2 primers and 168 Gn Nosler BT....so after the reloading was complete, did a run out of them and they it turns out to be .005 Average, hum, we will see.

Also am going to shoot the Colt-Cooper M2012 155 gn Bergers using some of my accurate loads for my Savage LE1 and some 150 Gn Sierra GK out of my Rem Varmint 700. Even though the Colt-Cooper has 10 twist in the barrel there are some indications that it will shoot these loads just as good as the 165/168 gn bullets.....

Range day is this Thursday and will take the Colt Cooper to first get it on paper then check out which load it likes the best.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad