New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Equipment (Bench plans??)  (Read 134 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Range Equipment (Bench plans??)
« on: July 30, 2019, 01:23:04 PM »
As Bo stated in a recent post, over time as the addiction takes hold what was once acceptable accuracy is no longer enough, and you dive in deeper looking to shrink the groups even more.  My disease hasn't progressed as far yet as it has for guys like Bo and Dutch, but it seems to be going in that direction.  As a kid my life consisted of time with a shotgun, .22 rimfire rifle, or BB/pellet gun, and I felt pretty proficient with all of them, but now I spend most of my time tinkering with centerfire rifles (mostly .223, I haven't caught Bo's .308/7mm/6mm strain of the virus yet).

I have my scoped rifles all shooting readily inside 1 MOA, a couple of them down in the .7 range.  I really think one of my biggest barriers at the moment is the availability of a solid bench to shoot from.  I have a shooting "table" cut from a 1" piece of masonite, and I clamp the front end to my deck railing and support the back with a folding sawhorse.  Not bad vertically, but horizontally it's still pretty shaky.  I have a pretty strong heartbeat, and that sight picture is twitching considerably especially when I set my target out at 200 yds.   I need to improve upon that.  I suspect I can be sneaking up on .5 MOA with more stability in my bench (haven't found a suitable way to temporarily stop my heartbeat yet, so let's focus on the bench).

Any of you guys have any good shooting bench plans you'd like to share?  If I use it on the deck, it needs to be something portable in order to avoid excess flak from the war department.  I'm considering building a stone patio off to the side of the house (similar to MI-B's recent project) and if I do that I'll build a concrete/stone table on it that I can use as a shooting bench, but at the rate I move that may be off in the future a couple of years.

Related question:  I currently have some large dirt piles that serve as my backstops at 100, 150, and 200 yds.  I'd like to shrink those a bit for a better view from the back deck when I'm not shooting - anyone have any bullet trap designs they like?  Seems like DH mentioned one awhile back, I'm open to suggestions on that.  Biggest things I'd be shooting into it would be 12 gauge slugs, .50 muzzleloader (hot, about 2000 fps), and 7 mm mag.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

Range Equipment (Bench plans??)
« on: July 30, 2019, 01:23:04 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Range Equipment (Bench plans??)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 05:10:31 PM »
i'm not any help. I was looking at some of the benches at cabelas, but they don't look real beefy. I shoot off a card table and it is not good.

as for your heartbeat, that is all practice. when I was going for my distinguished expert NRA qualification, breathing was a big part of it. you really have to be mellow. seriously, it is possible! it's totally opposite of most sports

can't wait to hear ideas. I start shooting next month
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 06:18:08 AM »
Mad - I have seen some plans on a few internet sites.....you might want to check them out.....

I would say to make your bench heavier and into more sections. I would make them heavy enough to be able to life/carry them to your "permanent" sit, then set them up there one piece at a time, if you have too build a shed over your bench....I have seen it both ways - with and without the shed.....just to keep the elements at bay....I also would say, it's going to take you a few years to build it.....start slowly and go from there...to keep the war department off your back, I would build it separately and disguise it as a "she shed" at least start out with the premise of that anyway, and then add on to it as a bench rest site...one half a she shed and the other half a bench rest site...LOL....I would also use lattice to enclose three sides of your bench rest table next to her she shed.....

You might want to dig a berm in the ground and shoot into it...instead of your mounds of dirt....and while you are at it build you a shooting platform on top of the she shed...LOL...and then you would really get push back from the war department.... --099-780 --099-780

Those are a few ideas that I have, but I shot my crossbow in the back yard where I have 60 yards to make sure the Crossbow and other Archery Products are sighted in.....
I will shot my Mach II in the back a few times per year....good luck.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 06:53:45 AM »
I do like the she shed idea Bo!  Unfortunately her ideal spot for a shed (we've been discussing this) doesn't lend itself to much more than a 75 yard shot the way things are laid out here.  The stone patio option on the east side of the house is going to be my best option in the long run, I probably just need to bite the bullet and get on with it.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad