New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: all in  (Read 85 times)

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
all in
« on: July 28, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »
20 hours later, I have my 4 1/2 acres of brassicas planted. I sprayed a month ago and considering the sprayer was coming apart, I got decent coverage. the downside was the weed seed from when I cut a month ago germinated and was 6-8" tall already.

1200# of fertilizer and 30# of seed later and i'm a little sore. now I need some rain. it was dry up there. I was able to plant areas that normally are too wet

my spreader broke a support bar. I had to McGiver it. what type of a spreader do you guys use? what about sprayers. I've replaced these both 2x and need something that's durable
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: all in
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
Congrats Yari, good luck now with that rain dance!  I'd really like to have a couple more plots in here but there's just no break coming in the hot and dry spell.  I have a couple of 15 gallon Fimco sprayers that I use on my ATVs.  The one I just got last year has a 2 GPM pump and I intend to use that with a single broadcast nozzle to cover big areas (16' spray width).  My older one only has a 1.2 GPM pump, so it gets used mainly with the hand spray wand.  I had a 4' spray boom with three nozzles on it, but cracked it awhile ago and haven't bothered to repair it since I have the other one.  My current spreader is a 12v electric Moultrie that I mount on the back of the ATV and use for some seeding and most of my fertilizer.  Have considered buying a bigger one, PTO driven and three point mounted, but will hold off until the current one dies.  Used a push spreader in the past, that was a great pain.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online yari

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »
I think I need to get ATV mounted sprayer and spreader. I think the bouncing is beating mine up. the ATV will be smoother riding.

fimco sprayer
agri-fab spreader

not built for uneven ground at all
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 04:18:57 PM »
When I'm out doing little patches in the woods at my bro in law's place, I can do it all with my ATV.  I have the sprayer on the front rack, spreader on the back rack, and the Groundhog disk in the rear receiver hitch.  Sometimes I bring along a log chain to drag behind after I spread seed to help even things out & cover them.  Wouldn't want to do a lot of acres that way, but it works for small plots in the quarter acre range.  For tiny seeds I use my little hand crank spreader rather than the Moultrie - it wouldn't work well for something like clover.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
Nice work!! My buddy uses a Four wheeler for all of his plots except the 2 largest which are 6 and 8 acres and he gets the farmer down the road to hit them with the big giant hardy fit on the road tractor!! Most of his plots are 1 to 1.5 acres he has a sprayer for the front when he uses it and a small disk for busting ground and i don't recall which spreader  he uses on the machine but he broadcast by hand on most of them and drags a piece of chain link fence around to make sure he get ground contact. I should mention that he plants mostly clover so He doesn't have to plant them every year.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Online yari

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
blue- i use to use my ATV. that was serious work! it's bad enough w/ my JD
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
I did some serious updating this year. Ive always used a 25 gallon fourwheeler sprayer with a 12 ft boom, worked real well except if i had a lot to do it just took a lot of time because capacity was so small, upgraded that to a 60 gallon 3pt for the tractor with same size boom, pump on the fourwheeler was electric, now pump is a roller pump run off the pto.  I always used a fimco fourwheeler spreader for fertilizer and seed, including clover seed, worked ok but always way overseeded, now went to a 3pt spreader from fleet farm, I believe its a king kutter with the poly tank, and seeder went to a woods precision seeder.  spent plenty of money but with all the extra time and waste that I had from the fourhwheeler implements I can see them paying for themselves quickly.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Online yari

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
I did some serious updating this year. Ive always used a 25 gallon fourwheeler sprayer with a 12 ft boom, worked real well except if i had a lot to do it just took a lot of time because capacity was so small, upgraded that to a 60 gallon 3pt for the tractor with same size boom, pump on the fourwheeler was electric, now pump is a roller pump run off the pto.  I always used a fimco fourwheeler spreader for fertilizer and seed, including clover seed, worked ok but always way overseeded, now went to a 3pt spreader from fleet farm, I believe its a king kutter with the poly tank, and seeder went to a woods precision seeder.  spent plenty of money but with all the extra time and waste that I had from the fourhwheeler implements I can see them paying for themselves quickly.

you are the 2nd person to tell me that. that's the way i'm leaning. they should be on sale before year end. i'm done for 2019 so I have time. thx NWI
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad