New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Carry guns - looking for input  (Read 192 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Carry guns - looking for input
« on: July 24, 2019, 05:27:40 PM »
One of the things on my retirement list is to make the time to go get my CC card (yeah, Illinois makes that a hassle).  All of my handguns at the moment are too big for concealed carry, so I've been researching & shopping around for a compact single stack 9mm.  Have generally been focused on the S&W Shield, but also checked out a Walther PPS, Sig 365, Glock 43, 43X, and 48.  Out of those, I think the best fit is still the Shield, but the Glock 48 intrigues me.  Haven't tried any with an IWB holster yet, as that's what I expect to use - the Glock 48 may be sneaking up on the "too big" point but I do like the longer grip and 10 round capacity in a single stack.

From the reviews I've seen, all are good quality/reliable weapons.  With my big hands/long fingers, the Shield gives me the best placement of my trigger finger.  I know several of the gang here on TH have the Shield - any concerns with that and any opinions on the Glock 48 or others I may have failed to look at yet?  Appreciate the input
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Carry guns - looking for input
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »
I have and carry the Shield 9mm in a Fobus owb holster.  Very comfortable holster, but it is a little harder to conceal.  My Concealment Express is a nice iwb holster, but not as comfortable as the Fobus. I like the 9mm, but would like to try the 45acp version, although capacity is reduced by 1.  Since the Shield 2.0 has come out, prices on the Shield have come down some.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 06:15:31 PM »
Roger, I would recommend you go to a range that rents handguns, so you could try them out first before making a decision. I bought a Keltec PF 9, based on a friend's recommendation, and while it's a pretty nice gun, it doesn't fit as well as the Shield, and the trigger is definitely different.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 06:22:13 PM »
I have just started carrying a Ruger LCP9 small and you could call it a pocket pistol....but, I have a couple of M&P Shields that I also carry both are very nice and well made, and the SCCY CPX-2 is another of my favorites....the Shields and SCCY are about the same size, note these are not large pistols, for a medium size guy like myself, they fit me perfectly, have not had any problems at all with any of them....have fired about 200 rounds through the Shields and about 50 rounds through the SCCY...so far so good.....

As far as Glock goes I would have to refer you to my brother-in-law, he has been through the Glock School and has been factory trained...he was telling me that he now owns 4 of them.....I don't own on Glock - Yet!!

Thanks for the post.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 08:25:56 PM »
check the trigger wts. especially on a CC gun, you really don't want he 8# trigger pull I got on my S&W SD9. I wish mine was 1/2 of that.

I would go to the range a shoot them. i'll be wearing my 9MM for the next 3 days putting in plots. it is way more comfortable/lighter than the wheel gun. enjoy the process
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 08:56:18 PM »
Thanks guys - agree with all those points.  Will definitely get to a range & shoot some before I buy.  Bro in law has a first gen Shield, but from what I'm hearing I think I want to go for the 2.0 (even though there are some bargains to be had right now on the Gen 1 guns).  Narrowed things down at the gun counter just based on how the grip fits my hand, how naturally it points, where my trigger finger lands, etc - that's how I got down to the Shield and G48 to this point.  Definitely want to shoot both.  Dry firing, I liked the Shield trigger better - the Glock is hard to describe, but it had a weird sound to it when you pull the trigger.  Obviously you'd never hear that when live firing, but it just gives the impression that it's not as robust.  I liked the Walther almost as much as the Shield and the trigger pull was the best of all of them, but you lose some capacity and the trigger placement was not great for me, so I ruled it out.

Yeah Yari, I hope that trigger on your new piece softens up over time.  I have a Ruger P89 that has absolutely the worst trigger of any gun I've ever owned.  I've gone to a lighter hammer spring and did some polishing, which helped some but it's still nasty.  Have been told I can swap out a P90 or 95 (can't remember which at the moment) trigger to improve it further, but haven't gotten around to that yet.  On that gun the pull weight isn't terrible but the pre-travel and creep is really poor.
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
I prefer striker fired guns.  The trigger pull is very consistent every time. I had a KelTek P11 a while back, the DA trigger was not good in such a small gun.

I don't carry small guns any more, opting for mid to full framed guns. If the SHTF I prefer a bit larger capacity but more importantly I just shoot them better.  I like the G19 and I will at times chage it out for Sig P320. 

Make sure you get a 'real' carry belt, not just a thick leather one from TSC.  Holster belts often are reinforced and will not sag.  Combined with a good quality holster even bigger guns can be carried comfortably.  I'm amazed how many people pay big bucks for.the gun then skimp on the belt and holster.

I like nylon belts and my current holster is an Alien Gear.  I have both the OWB and IWB models.  If you plan on comfortably carrying IWB buy your clothes a size larger.  This will help with concealment as well as comfort.  Tight clothes print easily if that is a concern.  I carry OWB the majority of the time but like options.

If you go IWB look for a kydex or some other stiff shelled holster.  Leather or cloth may conceal a little better but collapse under the pressure of the belt and make reholstering difficult

I also find that I have to wear under shirts when carrying as gun tends to rub me raw and or show surface rust quicker from sweat..  I do have a custom.stippled grip that is rougher then stock which is part of the problem.

Back to holsters, make sure it has good retention.  You dont want the gun getting pinched out of the holster when you sit or fall out if you fall or get knocked to the ground.    I would avoid the Blackhawk Sherpa holster as there are issues with it lockjng up..just search YT for examples.  Many trainers ban them from.classes.  it also aligns the finger pushing towards the trigger and creats a condition more likely to ND. 

Sorry for being all over the board.  Its harder to edit and organize my thoughts on my phone .
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline RoughRiderND

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 10:30:18 PM »
I have and carry M&P 2.0 Shield in 40 S&W and 45acp. Both serve me well, are extremely easy to carry and conceal. I was raised a wheel gun guy but am very pleased with my proficiency with these semi-autos.
6 years preparing with father and brother
57 years tramping fields and streams harvesting and eating the products of fin, feather and fur.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 04:04:06 AM »
Mad - I agree with you 110% about a Ruger P89....have one for well over 20 years now and basically have it up in the safe as a relic of days gone by....Like RR-ND states, Strker-Fire are here to stay. Like shooting those at the range,  I too was raised up on a wheel revolver and thought that it would never be replaced, but the reliability of the semi's and the ammo (9, 40, 45 and the 380) make it my preference these days....still have several wheel guns around the house in strategic locations for home protection with CCI #4 and a 38 special alternating rounds.

But as far as conceal carry goes and if you have to carry, then invest in the Sig, Glock, Kimber or S&W, it will be worth it and hopefully you will never need to use it on anybody.....Striker Fire Semi-Auto of today are the way to go, make it a 9 mill or larger for me personally.....

Good thread.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 08:42:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, very much appreciated.  I'm definitely looking at a 9mm striker fired piece in this case.  MI-B, great comments on the holsters, you gave me some things to consider that I wasn't aware of.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
Mad - Did you ever buy a carry pistol? and if so what did  you buy? and did you pass the background check?...LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:19 PM »
I have a 9mm S&W Shield that is my CC.  Its light and easy to conceal.  Has a decent trigger and fairly accurate.  My favorite is Ruger P85 double stack.  Its very accurate. I bought it used. I think it has an after market barrel and trigger work.  It just groups very well.  But its too big for CC. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
Bo, I didn't pick one up yet.  Still need to make time to shoot the Glock 48.  Expect I'll still end up with the Shield but really want to check that other one out first.
and enjoy it!

Offline BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 07:26:07 AM »
My carry is a 9mm Ruger LC9.  Has served me well but I would like it to be a little lighter weight since most of the time it is in my purse.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »
Looked at those (sister in law has one) but it just doesn't fit my hands well.  In general I'm a pretty big Ruger fan but that one doesn't work for me.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad