New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Preferred Rifle Primer?  (Read 534 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Preferred Rifle Primer?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Just last year, had my first primer that did not go off!!! Since the early to mid 70's had shot thousands and thousands of rounds with the first non-fire primer just happening last year. No complaints from me at all....

You can tell the quality of the primers, powder, bullets and brass that is made right here in the good old USA!!!

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 07:06:16 AM »
Bo I found that out after I fired a 209 primer in my Encore to foul the barrel before I go hunting with it .  @--0--0104
I did that in my basement on my smokepole the night before a hunt a few years ago, the wife came scrambling downstairs convinced I just shot myself.  @--0--0116
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 07:07:36 AM »
I have been reloading since the  70's too. I've tried lots of different primers but it seems like Remington and Winchester are what I use most often. The only time I use Bench Rest primers is in my XP100s and that is the 7 1/2 Rem BR. I have never had a primer that didn't fire. If you are trying to shoot the smallest group possible then it is important to try several different primers.
I have seen a lot of.223 recipes with guys swearing by the Rem 7.5 primer, will probably need to try some in addition to the BR from CCI.  May try the Winchester too based on feedback from you guys. 

Thanks all, this is exactly the kind of input I needed!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:11:09 AM by Madgomer »
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 07:26:17 AM »
Madgomer - Did she have a smile on her face when she was coming down the steps?  --099-780

I do load slow and low, not like Dutch who has a need for speed!! But, I am a started with 85% load density for starters and load down...it just me and my methodology....been doing this for years and years....but maybe I need to look at the list again (Primer Burn Rates)....I like Sierra, Nosler, Barnes and Berger Bullets (most of my inventory) a lot with Hornady, Speer, and a few others thrown in for good measure, along with Lapua, Norma, Nosler and a few Hornady Match 308 brass. For the Powder, think that they all are good and you got to try three of four different types or loads just to find the right one or two or even three that is suitable for the accuracy you are seeking, for me that is a 1/2 inch or better before. I think that over the years I have gone from 2" group down to an 1 down to 3/4" and not it stands at 1/2" for a 3 shot groups, but believe me, If one of my favorites 308's shoots a 3/4" or an 1" groups like my 700 LTR does then that is OK with me...LOL....

But Primers can make a difference in your accuracy and performance, back in the 80's I was experimenting all the time with new loads which include different primers than my standard CCI-BR2, but as I got deeper into my career I sort of got down to one or two primers that I chose from and when I attended Bench Rest Matches just to watch or as a volunteer I notice things that these "nuts" were doing. The more I thought about what these guys with their OCD's started making sense to me and then I became one of the "Nut Cases". You certainly can learn more buy watching and listening, because these guys don't share their secrets with anybody, not even their wives...LOL...so now I know that primers do make a difference to your load, it can make it or break it, it can go from 1/2" groups to over 2" groups.....I know because I have been there....

So glad to see everybody has an favorite primer they use and glad I found that old time chart, I got from a the reloading manual (saw the same list on another website)....     
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 01:04:08 PM »
Madgomer - Did she have a smile on her face when she was coming down the steps?  --099-780

Come on now Bo, that's kinda harsh don't you think??  (Come to think of it though, she did seem somewhat dejected when she found me upright and smiling)
 ##$%#13
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »

Come on now Bo, that's kinda harsh don't you think??  (Come to think of it though, she did seem somewhat dejected when she found me upright and smiling)
 ##$%#13

see mad, i'm not the only wise guy on TH --099-780
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »
Yeah Yari, but just cuz all the other kids are doing it, doesn't make it right!!!!

##$%#114
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 02:04:00 AM »
The Primer that did not go off last year was my first hand load that did not fire, Had two other times that the primer failed me and both were on a deer!!! the first time it was a absolute monster in 1970 and the second time, it was a 9 pointer checking his scrape line...pulled the trigger on him 4 times with two of them that went off....what I found out that it was not the primer but it was me!!

ME causing the round not to go off, because at that time I had just got to my first Nuclear plant in Florida and worked plenty of OT trying to save, save and save...and ignored the fact that I had forget that I had left the firing pin cocked for over a year and when I tried to pulled the trigger on it on a deer, it did not go off! After the 3rd and 4th shot went off, I did some investigation into why the first two rounds did not fire.....then I realized by looking at the primers under the magnifying glass that each time I pulled the trigger the firing pin went deeper into the primer and it finally went off on the 3rd and 4th rounds...the deer went down in its tracks on the 4th shot, about an inch from the 3rd shot....

Its not always the primers fault, sometimes it is the shooters (Me) fault....so because of that one experience, I will either leave my bolts open or make sure that the firing pin in not in tension when I put them up at the end of the season. But by today's standards (and mine), there is no off season for me.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad