New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Preferred Rifle Primer?  (Read 536 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Preferred Rifle Primer?
« on: July 24, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »
Was just reading Bo's post on his new 6.5 and his preparations to get it range ready.  His comment about his primer of choice reminded me of a conversation I had last weekend.  Wondering what you guys and gals who reload for rifle cartridges prefer in terms of primer brand, and why.  Obviously you need to consider small vs large and Magnum vs not based on the cartridge you're dealing with, but do you have a strong preference for one brand over another?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

Preferred Rifle Primer?
« on: July 24, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Preferred Rifle Primer?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
I have used Winchester for years , but last year picked up some CCI BR4 for my small rifle AR'S , they have a thicker cap and fit a little tighter .  @--0--0104   Sometimes it depends on the brass your using also , the primer holes deference . 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:42:58 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 01:21:37 PM »
FWIW Winchester has a 25% rebate on primers, until Aug 15, 2019.  You do have a minimum purchase of $80. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:01:13 AM »
I saw a chart many years ago, probably in the mid to late 70's from the Sierra Reloading Manual (I think, I will have to check) a list of primers as far as the ignition temper from the lowest to the hottest...I tool experimenting with Primers many, many years. The CCI-BR2 is one if not the hottest primer on the market...with both Remington and Winchester Primers are some where in the middle of the burn rate chart....

Primers do make a big difference in the way your powder is converted into a gas - the time it takes converts it to a pressure, and that converts to a velocity out of the barrel...the temp outside has a big difference on your primers. When I would go to Colorado and hunt (for all the hunts) I would put a coat of clean fingernail polish around the primer pocket and the next of the case...I would do this after I reloaded the round, of course, to make sure that no moisture would or could get into the round....For years and years I used the Winchester and Remington primers in my 308's and 270's....then after moving up here I started shooting more and often, got to notice that the primers were one of the main source of your accuracy. What I do is to limited the number of variables that I have today. If I use the same primer, same brass and same bullet the only variable is the powder, the brand and the amount....I will find that chart I had early mention and post it here...give me a day to run it down....

Also on my Magnum Primers I use only the Federal Gold Match 215 for anything from my 270WSM to my 338 Lapua.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 07:59:07 AM »
Thanks Bo, will do some digging too and see if I can locate that chart on the web, would be interesting to see it.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 07:05:03 PM »
Found the chart - list that I was talking about...I thought the CCI-BR2 was one of the hottest primers you could get, turned out that I was wrong. It is how very consistent. Anytime I hear the word Bench Rest and/or Match, I think that they are made in a quality control environment.....I don't mind paying an extra $3 per thousand for a primer that is quality...

As the day went on, I was thinking about your comments and remember an article that I read way back when and if you live in the extreme cold or thinking about going to Canada for a monster white tail hunt and you are sitting all day long is sub-zero temps, the author of this article stated that using magnum primers in very cold weather would give you close to your normal velocities and performance.....something to think about.....

But my suggestion is for someone is to find a primer you like and stick with it...last year before the flood, I had gotten in 10K CCI-BR2 primers in and thought I would be set for like, but since they were setting on the floor and the primers got wet, will have to throw them all out and buy some new ones....and will look at my quantity of Federal GM215M and order a few more thousand of them....shucks darn.....

Anyway here is the list of primers......
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:09:47 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »
Thanks Bo!  Up to this point the bulk of my reloading has been for .223, and I've been buying standard CCI small rifle primers based on some recommendations related to cup hardness and their compatibility with a broad range of firing pin impact forces.  So far no regrets as they've performed reliably in 6 different guns for me.  May give the BR variety a try.  Was shooting my varmint AR yesterday with my hand loads at 200 yds and getting groups around .7 MOA, from somewhat of a marginal rest, it's giving me the itch to figure out just how good I can get it.
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 07:48:05 PM »
Bo, I wouldn't throw those primers yet.  Let them dry out, then load a few and see how they perform.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
Louie - When it flooded our basement the primers were sitting and the whole box of 10K primers gotten wet but have not look at them inside yet, maybe just half of them were wet? Don't know, still have about 6K of them that I need to go through before either getting to them or throwing them out....but currently those CCI-BR2 Primers are sitting off the floor, like they should have been the first time in a plastic shoe box size tote...it was a mess. I agree with you that it is to early to throw them out just yet, when I start to get into them maybe I can salvage half of them....Think I will start tomorrow morning on the project and let TH know whether I have to buy replacement primers.

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 11:23:35 PM »
Has anyone put a new primer in a empty shell and fired it? I have done this three of four times and it is real effective when it is dark....to show someone new to reloading or to your spouse or late teenager kid...that this is primers are very powerfully explosion when it goes off.......

The primer will shoot a flame out of a 24" barrel about 3 to 4 feet longer than the barrel...imagine a flame coming out of a barrel in a dark room or outside in the dark. Be sure to wear hearing and seeing protection when you show them.....it will scared the crap out of you when you do it....first time I done this experiment was with my first wife inside our large basement. It scared her to death....the last time I did this was with my second and last wife just to show her how powerful a primer really is.....

So if you want to show a newbie to reloading or your spouse just tell them with hearing and eye protection and the are standing so they can see the flame come out of the barrel....it will scare you to death....but primers are the ignition source and it is amazing how well they work.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »
Bo, I learned first hand how powerful primers are. I have part of a shotshell primer inbedded in my left thigh. It's been there since 1966.  Long story, but the Lord was looking after me, could have hit the femoral artery, and I would have been in deep doo-doo.
NRA Life Member.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 03:03:20 PM »
Louie - Wow, would like to hear it and so would everyone else. back in 1972 when I first loaded them up, remember there was no You Tube back then or internet, just the hard copy of the reloading manual(s), I use Sierra and Nosler as my two go to books....

But after been loading for a year or so, I wanted to know how powerful was a primer? so I loaded it up in an spare bedroom of the Apartment I was in! holy cow, everyone around me wanted to know did I hear the explosion!! I said yea, I heard it, it must have come from over there....little did they known it came from me!! Wow, that was the first and every since then I have worn Safety Glasses when seating primers by hand - one at a time and feel each one to make sure that it is a smooth and tight fit.....if your primer pocket is loose it will case you many problems and any accuracy you may tried to get out of it.....

So when I got married and told my first wife to stand behind me when I put in a 270 case with a primer only in it and asked her if she was ready and then I pulled the trigger. Naturally she jumped at the sound and sight of the flame coming out of a barrel in a dark room...wow, it was impressive.....

I did this exercise a third time with my second wife in the Garage with both cars pulled out and it was just me and her in there....this time it was a 308 case using a CCI-BR2 primer....will never do that again but to this day will wear Safety Glasses hand loading primers and suggest that everybody who hand loads do the same......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 03:39:55 PM »
Bo I found that out after I fired a 209 primer in my Encore to foul the barrel before I go hunting with it .  @--0--0104
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 07:33:06 PM »
Sundowner - I do the same thing, I normally fire it twice with the CCI-209 primers which to me fouls up the barrel a little bit and I will only do this once (the same day) when I get down to GA to hunt....Also will put a cover over the end of the barrel. If it rains down there (and it often does) I will keep a drying heat source in the camper and keep the primers dry and will change out the primer each day that it rains. I just want to insure that the primer will ignite properly and won't have a fizzle or a dud !! I have been doing for over 25 years and it sure seems to work. Hopefully other TH members will start this as an exercise or habit as we did....

I will take the old Smoke Pole to the range about four times and shot it twice each visit before I bring it home and clean it at home, make any scope adjustments that I need to make before loading it up and taking down to GA....If you think about it, it is that first shot that counts but a follow up shot maybe needed and at the range that follow-up shot generally meets it mark as well as the first does....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »
I have been reloading since the  70's too. I've tried lots of different primers but it seems like Remington and Winchester are what I use most often. The only time I use Bench Rest primers is in my XP100s and that is the 7 1/2 Rem BR. I have never had a primer that didn't fire. If you are trying to shoot the smallest group possible then it is important to try several different primers.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad