New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor  (Read 1818 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2020, 09:28:16 AM »
Was at the pawn shop the other day and saw an exact model of Bergara M14 THR in 6.5 Creedmoor in their rack....this is the same place I bought the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC at....a guy was asking me about the two...I told her that the Bergara will shoot better then the Christensen Arms on the range but on hunting trips you would be glad to have the Christensen Arms fiber wrap barrel for the weight saving....I do like them both and both has $1000 mounted on them...the Bergara has the Tract Toric 3-15X on it and the Christensen Arms in the 6.5 PRC it has on it the Leupold VX5 3-15X on it...both are great scopes....

But the purpose of the post it to say that Bergara is hold it price line on the M14 THR which is $950 (949.99) for it....it has not gone up but I figured it will shortly.....Am thinking about getting a Bergara Special Purpose M14 THR in guess which caliber - yep a 308 Win....it has a 18" barrel on it and it will run the same about as its bigger brother!!   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2020, 09:28:16 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2020, 03:17:46 PM »
Shortly after getting my hands on the Savage 220 (probably this weekend or early next week) have my eye on another 308, it is a Bergara SP which stands for "Special Purpose" and have seen it in a HMR model with its drop box magazine, but will look at others....the 6.5 CM that I have has a 22 inch barrel with a 2" Bergara ST-1 muzzle brake on it and it fairly heavy.....but this one is short 16" or 18" or 20" barrel should make it much lighter to carry to the blind or ladder with me....shots are less than 100 yards for sure in the area of the our property where I hunt at....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2020, 07:22:08 PM »
I found some pictures of the 308 Bergara B14 SP HMR....and it looks like the other Bergara except it is much shorter than the 6.5 CM that I have it in....see the attached pictures....and it price is Internet $930 + shipping ($30) + Federal Background check ($10) + Local Transfer Fees ($25) = $995 might as well say $1000 !!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:24:55 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
 ##$%#13   ##$%#15  but why have you not bought one yet    @--0--0117
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2020, 08:36:03 PM »
Wow that looks really short - what's the barrel length?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2020, 11:15:31 AM »
Mad - You know I love 308's and especially short barrels 308's...My 6.5 CM Bergara is very accurate and heavy, love the magazine that it holds, actually I can get 6 rounds in the rifle, instead of the 4 rounds....where I hunt at the deer will be on you before you know it...or you can be looking around and next thing you know the big old buck has slipped in on you and he is staring at the blind or tree stand where you are at...OMG....

So I need to look for another short heavy barrel 308 Win, and if I get this one well, I think it will make it about 6 (Will make #22) or so that I own the short heavy barrel....I know some folks will asked how come I don't get a 14" Thompson Contender? I don't like pistols when I hunt deer.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 07:13:15 AM »
Mad - The barrel length is 18" that is with out the ST-1 muzzle brake so I figured it will be a long and as heavy as my Custom Cooper Model 54 in 308 with its 19" barrel....shoot amazing groups at any distance....with its 12 twist it does like the 155 gn Berger VLD bullets....the Bergara will have 10 twist which means from 165 to 185 gn bullets it should be able to handle....

Dave - I do have a 6.5 CM in the Bergara B14 HMR with the Bergara ST-1 Muzzle Break on it...looks good but had to make sure that it was as good as advertised...and it was...so now will begin my Bergara quest...it has 8 twist in the barrel and should be able to handle the 140 to 147 gn....but we will see....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »
Dave - I just did!! I need another 308 like a crazy person needs a hole in his head!! Yes it is a Bergara B14 HMR SP in 308 Win.....not sure what to mount on it a Vortex or Nikon of Sig Sauer, sure do like the Sig Sauer scopes....it has 1/10" twist in it which mean that it is on the edge of the 155 gn bullets and goes all the way up to 185 gn bullets....This will make ?? 308 Win....

So as I get the new addition in the family, will be posting about it and it should be here in about a week.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 09:23:41 PM »
yikes, I would hate to be one of the other guns in you safes. it must takes years to get out and take a walk to the range @--0--0105

congrats. enjoy your toys! --09--0 --09--0
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2020, 05:56:40 PM »
Yari - Not years but close...i have to plan ahead.....the ones that required the most attention is the one that have "Bore Sighted Only" tag hanging on them....so I have about 6 or 7 that due to the addition or just scope swapping need to go to the range on the first trip...then may take them a second time.....before they are permanently declared "Ready-To-Hunt" for the year 2020.

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2020, 08:31:36 AM »
Have decided to pull a Sig-Sauer Whiskey3 3-9X x 40mm (made in the Philippines) with a electro-dot activated by a (CR2032) flat battery...this scope came from the "scope pile" had 2 Leupold's (one a VX2 and the other one a Rifleman) but decided on the Sig-Sauer....

Also the Bergara does not comes with a Picatinny rail, so I was looking around and found a Remington SA 700 base (still in plastic) and some 1" Burris extreme rings (6 screws)...will go ahead and get the scope ready to be mounted onto the Bergara....I already read the manual twice and have adusted one Bergara Trigger down to 2.0 to 2.2 lbs pull and will do the same as soon as I get it...it will be in the middle of next week before I can hang a tag "bore sighted only" on it and then head to the range....

Was looking through all my rounds of unprimed and unfired Lapua, Norman, Nosler brass and found that I did not have but 7 pieces of new Lapua 308 Brass....so I ordered a 100 pieces from Natchez Trace supplies....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2020, 07:56:57 AM »
The new Bergara has arrived at the FFL person's place of business....have everything ready for it...Sig Sauer 3-9X x 40mm Scope, 1" tube, with illuminated crosshairs, check the battery (CR2032) with a meter and it has 3.244 Volts (good) and have the Remington Picatinny rail short action with its 20 MOA built into it....have its cover ready and just waiting on the Bergara ST1 muzzle brake for it.....as an alternate have a Leupold VX2 4-12X x 40mm with the AO out on the end of the scope...

Should pick it up tomorrow or Tuesday from my FFL...this will make 22 308's to the collection about half of them are the short (less than 20") barrel length....have a couple of Coopers that are 24 and one is a very long 26" variety.....this Bergara comes with a 18" barrel plus the ST1 muzzle brake with will make it about 20 inches long or less....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2020, 01:56:52 PM »
Went over to the FFL Shop/Business and laid my eyes on it...Wow is it short!! After approval to take possession of the Bergara got it home and took it out of the box and laid it in the gun rest....first thing I done was to installed the picatinny rail for the scope...using Locktite 242 I put drop a drop into each of the 4 holes.....let it dry over night, then this morning early start working on it in earnest....

After checking the torque on the picatinny rail to the receiver (55 inch pounds) I installed Vortex cant level and then the rings....and then gently fitted the scope to the receiver then after a hair raising and taking my time getting the scope installed....then I started torquing the scope down....the rings base to the picatinny rail, 55 inch pounds and the the ring scopes to the scope at 25 inch pounds....

Next came the Bergara Muzzle Brake ST1. The installation kit includes and bubble level and a wrench that you can put either a 1/4" of 3/8" ratchet torque wrench and after having a devil of a time in leveling it...and it took me many tires to get it "perfect" but to no avail, even with the level once you go to tighten it down to 25 ft lbs, yes I said 25 ft lbs...had to get the big torque wrench out...it is off by a smidgen of a degree....enough is enough....

After getting the ST1 installed next had to bore sight it and now that is down, will leave in the gun vise tonight and check the torque values tomorrow morning......

The pictures (only 4) shows the slow progression of the installation....and the last picture shows both the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 Win....enjoy the photos   

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »
nice looking set-ups.

with the muzzle breaks, there must be almost no kick on a 308 or 6.5. 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2020, 06:06:14 AM »
Yari - Last year, I got the 6.5 CM and had a chance to take it to the range a few times (will take it a lot more this year) and you are right, the gun is heavy for a HMR (Hunting Match Rifle, and the sucker is super accurate, but you are right, with the muzzle brake, it is almost not recoil at all....last year shot it with a cheapie $30 Muzzle Brake from China and got it off of Amazon....Did not discover that Bergara had a muzzle brake (an ST1) until about mid November and got it about mid December (a Christmas present for me)....so I have never shot it with the Bergara ST1 muzzle brake on it but expect it to be just no or very little kick or recoil it either both the Bergara's.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad