New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor  (Read 1829 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:54:42 AM »
Picked up the subject rifle late yesterday from Bud's Gun Shop in Sevierville, TN....before heading to the TN Smokies Game (they lost but it was a good close game, a pictures duel, Smokies only gave up two hits and got 5 hits and still lost the game 2-1....good game all around.....

Took some pictures of the bare rifle for the record. First thing I did was to clean it, then mounted the Talley 20 MOA Picatinny rail. After that, mounted the Tally Style Rings, mounted the Vortex Cant Level on the Tract Toric Scope....am letting the Locktite set up and have tighten the rail up about 4 time already....This afternoon of tonight will mount the scope on the Bergara....

Prime/resized the Lapua Brass and then I put CCI-BR2 Primers and loaded up 127 gn Barnes TTSX using H4831SC. So 10 rounds of that load is read to try in the new rifle....Have not text the trigger pull yet....but will soon.....

More later.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:54:42 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 06:45:32 PM »
Have been busting my butt on this rifle all day long, early and I mean early this morning around 4 AM started working on it, but getting it out of the box and reading the owners manual on it....check to torque on the receiver screws to make sure that they do meet 65 inch pounds on the front screw and 57 inch lbs on the back.....then every four hours checking the screws to see if they have torqued out any, and the had. Put some Locktite 242 on the threads before installing the 20MOA  Picatinny rail on...in the mean time, reloaded 12 rounds using 140 gn Accubond, 38.325 gns (new scales) into Nosler Brass, and CCI-BR2 primers. Seated the bullets between 2.827" and 2,828"....next after 12 hours, took the rifle out in the external garage and started there to mount the scope....I love and hate Tally rings.....but the seems to work very good...

Picture 4770 was taken this morning about 4:15 AM and the 4775 was taken a few minutes ago, about 7:00 PM....so sorta of been busy...

Tomorrow is Range Day and will take all the 264 or 6.5 Rifles with me to the range...will take both 260 Rem and both 6.5 CM as well as the 6.5 PRC.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:17:18 PM »
very nice. are those warne rings?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 08:41:58 PM »
Yari - No they are Tally Rings and Tally 20 MOA Picatinny rail....real nice looking but a pain to install...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »
So how are you liking that new vise now that you've had some time to play with it?

I'd like to hear more about that 20 MOA rail you chose for this gun - - my impression is that you didn't really benefit from those unless you're going after some relatively long range (>600m) shooting.  Is that your plan for this new 6.5?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 04:16:46 AM »
Mad - I do like it, I can stand and work on my rifles. The gun vise is located on a cart that I can roll around on the new laminated wooden floor....I have added twice as many lights as before. and never need to use the flash on the camera (Canon XS 160). but I had added a touche light and a few nicely placed high intensity lights on the corners of the room....another thing that I miss most about me is old eyeballs are going, need more light to reload also.....

But since I have gotten the new vise, have leveled it up and after banging the chrome steel rack that it sits on long enough and hard enough to ensure that the rack won't be going anywhere soon,  the leveling job works out pretty good, especially since the cart has wheels on it....also the 4 - 27 Gallon totes sit on Dollies and they too can be roll around nicely as well, have put down an small area rug in front of the main table, it is thin and has a rubber backing...it is 6 ft X 6 ft and works well in the room and the dollies can easily roll around on the floor, so all in all, the room is more functional now, with the chrome plated steel shelves that you can look through the photos that I post and can see them scattered around the room.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 11:29:22 PM »
Guys - This rifle shoots as good as it looks!! I will re-post the targets here but after thinking about this rifle a bit and reflecting back on the whole experience, this is a very good rifle for the money....the scope was a good deal on the Tract Toric 3-15X. Wednesday I loaed up 12 rounds and fired 6 of them (cleaning between shoots) Will do some serious cleaning this afternoon on all the rifles that I took with me to the range today.....

I cannot believe that maybe, just maybe I got it right on the load, the 140 gn Nolser AB- LR was traveling about 2625 FPS at muzzle, the other components that makes up this round were the Primer = CCI-BR2, Brass = Nosler, Powder = H380 = 38.25 grains, Seating was 2.827" not bad for a first load....

Remember target #1 was at 50 yards, was just trying to get it on paper and the second target was the first 4 shots at 100 yards....this is amazing....

For Years before, Deerhead had held a Bergara B14 in his hands, and he was telling me about it...then he told me that his cousin who likes to shoot, takes his Bergara B14 rifle and uses it to hunt with and to shoot competition!! I can see why now...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:33:08 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 07:23:50 PM »
Now I need to add a Muzzle Brake on the Bergara....Any suggestions? Want to spend less than 100 buck on it...The recoil is very mild as is, and after taking it to the range and firing it 6 times I can tell you that it really doesn't need one, but just for the sake of Bergara, will get an extra AICS mag for it and a muzzle brake....

Also got a flyer that Midway has a Sig Whiskey 3 scope for $135! I think I got mine for $199. Wondering if this is a close out price for it?

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 07:21:49 AM »
Yesterday, Friday 7-26, cleaned all rifles really good, (used nylon brush and patches on them) so now the impact point has shifted slightly, LOL....while the rifle was sitting in the vise outside in the garage, I notice how beefy the scope is....by the way, it is the Tract Toric 3-15X x 50mm mounted. And as always, when I clean the rifle really good, I cleaned the glass (or scope) on it as well....when sighting it in I use the 5X setting and the fast focus ring, it took only seconds to set it up....then after firing 2 shots at 50 yards and adjusting the cross-hairs twice to the right once after the first shot and again after the second shot. Then after about 15 minutes, aim the rifle at the 100 yard target and wow, the load, the rifle, and the scope all did it functions and shot four more shots that landed about 1/2 group at 100 yards, have not actually measure the group but they would all fit inside a dime...(you can see the target on a previous post) moved the scope up to 10X and shot the four shots...have not used the impact optics or installed the zero stop that came with the scope...but can tell you that I have a Leupold VX5-HD, 3-15X x 44mm with me on the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC, and it was close liking the Toric reticule over the Leupold. the Glass was Almost the same but would give the edge to Tract Toric.....

I will admit that this Tract scope is the first scope that I have purchase directly from Tract Optic from their website. I do own a pair of their HD Binoculars and those got my attention. Talk about a quality product those are. They are right up there with my Swaro and Zeiss and Leupold's.....Amazing glass, my second product was a 22Fire Rimfire Rifle Scope. Was not sure of their products just yet so I went with a 22Fire for the CZ455 is has a BDC built in the reticule....so after a couple of years using the rifle scope and them still being around I thought that I would go with Tract when I bought the Bergara B14 HMR....what a scope it has turned out to be....but can only image some good products coming our way from Jon and Jon and Tract Optics...

The Tract Toric 3-15X is a lot of scope for under $800. With the Bargera B14 for $950, Tract for $754, Tally Picatinny Rail and Rings about $150 bucks....for about $1900 put together and nice set up. Just got to get a muzzle brake for it and an extra 5 shot magazine and I will be a happy camper and considered the rifle complete....

Thinking about it, your scope is the last piece of the puzzle in any setup, for me anyway. I will decide on a rifle, the rings and base that I will use and generally it is a Picatinny Rail with either Mark 4 or Burris Extreme or Tally style rings that I will use....and then the Scope is the last thing to decide on, I wanted something clear, sharp, with low power for close up shots, like in GA and yet have the option of going the distance with longer power settings. It has to be 12X or more so these days the 3-15X seems like the perfect range for either close in shots or longer shots....

So what is going to be my next rifle, humm, I have always been interested in a 6mm Rem Varmint rifle, like the made back in the 80's and then there is a Ruger No.1 Varmint in 280 Rem....so what is next who knows, but for sure the Tract Optics will be one of the Scopes that I will look at before making taking that last step..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 12:52:38 PM »
glad you like the scope. I really think it is the best value out there w/ schott glass. nice group. I wouldn't tweak the load at all
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 07:56:38 AM »
Yari - Looks like Friday is going to be the Range Day for me, it will be August and it will be Hot and Humid!!.....Will take the Bergara to the range and verify that it is indeed sighted in at 200 yards....then and only then will I install the Zero-Stop that came with the Tract Toric scope....Also, fill out the Tract Optics custom turrets redemption form and sent it in......when they come will install them and then I think the rifle will be ready for the woods...Yea my 75 yard shot, at the most...LOL....

Will also do the Savage 10BA stealth the same way - 200 yards sight in for it as well.....

I agree with you that the Tract scopes with Schott glass is the best value on the market now and hope that Tract will be in business for a very long time.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
now that i'm done w/ filed work, i need to schedule a couple range days to verify the turrets are working as expected. good luck in the heat

NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 06:30:04 AM »
Took the Bergara B14 HMR with it's TRACT Optics and yesterday morning was the only time that had the chance to show Split Toe, one he saw Bergara topped off with the TRACT. Like Yari says, it is the best value with Schott glass out there!! Split Toe was impress with the set up and the sky it was dark and overcast, I was beginning to load up the truck when Split Toe came out of his camper. It was not full light yet and it was cloudy and overcast, the clouds where hanging low...

He asked once again who scope it was and I told him that TRACT was about 2/3 the price of the Leupold which I had on the other rifle in the case, it was the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC (Premium Rifle Cartridge) it has a Leupold VX5-HD 3-15X on it and it too was very good......

But the TRACT stole the show with its Schott Glass......

After packing up the truck when to the Cook Shack and told Deerhead that he will see a lot of the Bergara and Tract combo this year...I plan on bringing it down on the 2 week long hunt that we have each year....it will be here and gone before you know it......
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:33:01 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
side by side is the only way to compare
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:06 AM »
side by side is the only way to compare
For sure - being able to compare two or more optics in the same place, same lighting, etc makes a world of difference. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad