New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Question About Scent Crusher  (Read 250 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Question About Scent Crusher
« on: July 20, 2019, 04:01:08 PM »
Would like to know if and how long have you used Scent Crusher? or any scent control product...I know I used Dead Down Wind and Scent Killer and thinks it works?, but who knows....would like to know if any of you have been using Scent Crusher products for a while and which ones......any maintenance on the bag or products, do you have to clean them out?
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Question About Scent Crusher
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
I use the soap shampoo and deodorant and for my bow hunting clothes I spray down before walking to the stand and then when I get set up in the stand. before season i put my hunting clothes in a new garbage bag with h s dirt smelling dryer sheets. for gun I just spray the clothes
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »
I looked into it. I don't have unlimited resources like you --099-780 they aren't cheap. you are talking ozonics right?

first, I don't need any more stuff in my pack. second, they have a fan and I don't like noise. it's like a thermocell so wind is it's enemy unless you are in a blind. IMO if you are in a blind, why do you need it anyway?

I've got buddies that swear by them. personally, I use DDW soap, deodorant, lotion for my heavy sweat areas and laundry soap, dry in a cedar tree and store in a tote w/ a pine or cedar scent wafer. my buck last year and 3 other bucks the same night all came in down wind. I haven't been smelled for years

my one area of weakness now is gum. they use to make de-odorizing gum. I can't find it anymore. many calls and emails left me w/ zero. if anyone has a line on gum, let me know!
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 06:57:17 AM »
Yari - I was talking not only the Ozonics Portable Unit, but the Gym Size Bag and even possible the type you plug into your cigarette lighter in your truck? Like most of you, I spray down when I leave the camper and anytime I go into the woods before the hunt....just was wondering if I go far enough or not far enough when it comes to scent elimination....I know you can never go to far....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:50 AM »
Ozonics used to have a warning on their web site about using in a confined space, as DO NOT!

Researched them back when they first came out.

Their web site keeps going down when I tried to search it for that.

Have heard of a few folks that got headaches from using it in open tree stands.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
I would not spend that much money on a ozonics had the bag at the store before I left way to much money for it
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
Wash with Hunters Speciality soap ( the green stuff in a plastic bottle) and use any small bottle of desent suff especially the fall blend in the fall, non scent scent destroyer the rest of the season
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 05:18:09 PM »
bo- most folks that I know will use the 'ozonics locker', put heir cloths on, sit in their dirty truck or ride in there atv. all of these will negate any scent elimination created. they just don't think it through. if you are going to do it, it has to be 100% or forget it IMO

'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »
I bought the small one that plugs into a car outlet.  I left it in the car for extended periods of time and it made no difference in the smell of interior of the car.

Some people swear by them but I didn't see that it did anything,
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
First off Ozone is dangerous if you breath in a confined space.  So please use caution when using ozone generators.  I have a friend who works for a major hotel chain.  They use ozone generators in hotel rooms to eliminate smoke and other odors all the time.  I bought on on Amazon for $70.  Shortly after receiving the generator my friend had a rental car that smelled "really" bad.  We put the generator in the car for about 10 minutes.  You could smell the ozone but the other odor was gone.  We left the windows down and the vehicle was so much better. 

I plan on using the generator in my camper to get rid of the musty smell.  Then air out my camper with fresh air.  I will try my hunting cloths. But like I said there is an odor to the ozone.  So not sure how the deer will react to that odor.  Since the generator is larger than Ozonics brand I will not do it for a long time.  Maybe that will reduce the smell. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 07:31:00 PM »
I bought the small one that plugs into a car outlet.  I left it in the car for extended periods of time and it made no difference in the smell of interior of the car.

Some people swear by them but I didn't see that it did anything,

For the record I was not in the car at the time, i just left it plugged in.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
Thanks for all your comments. I wasn't talking about the Ozonics specifically but it is good to hear from you about this product.....I was thinking more along the lines of the scent crusher bag and locker....but from your comments, I think I will stick with spray down every night and day and then keep the scents away from them as long as possible, like not wearing my bibs and jackets to the cook shack in the morning.....

The reason why I am asking because there is a big boy in the area of one of my blinds and he is there when I am not...something is tipping him off.....Daaa....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 09:05:08 PM »
Thanks for all your comments. I wasn't talking about the Ozonics specifically but it is good to hear from you about this product.....I was thinking more along the lines of the scent crusher bag and locker....but from your comments, I think I will stick with spray down every night and day and then keep the scents away from them as long as possible, like not wearing my bibs and jackets to the cook shack in the morning.....

The reason why I am asking because there is a big boy in the area of one of my blinds and he is there when I am not...something is tipping him off.....Daaa....
Always tough to know for sure in those situations.  Perhaps he's hanging out somewhere that enables him to see you approaching, or simply gets clued in by activity at camp?  Study your topo maps and satellite images and see if you can come up with an alternative way to approach the area - that might mean wading a creek or coming in "the long way" to avoid tipping him off.  They don't get big by being dumb, but just like us humans they can get into a routine and get caught by surprise when someone deviates from the plan.  I'm pretty convinced that is the reason a lot of newbies nail a big deer on their first hunt - they've done something outside the norm of the rest of the hunters (I was one of those lucky newbies myself nearly 40 years ago).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »
Mad - I hear ya....For years and years have been wearing my bibs and hunting jacket to the cook shack every morning and am the first to leave, but this year will take down some clothes with me and will be more careful of my scents control, sure I spray down every day when I gt back into camp and let my clothes dry outside and then put them on in the morning before heading to the cook shack, where the coffee is brewing and everyone has their grits, oat mill and breakfast and their morning cigarette.....all of this does add up in the morning before heading out to my blind or ladder stand....humm. I will turn 70 by the time this hunting season rolls around and it is time that I start paying attention to all of scents around me! Daaa.....what do ya think? Remember I see a ton of deer and about every three years see a real wall hanger....so with this planning and strategy in place, maybe just maybe I might see a shooter every year now!!

I started thinking about this when I pull my game trail camera cards a few years back and looking at what was on them and the times and dates which the big boy appeared, when I was not there, they were!!! so that told me something that I was doing wrong right then and there!! Daaa again!! but remember when I shoot, it is up close and personal, I had a deer almost in the blind with me two years ago, but there was a hot doe in the area and he was the first deer to show up about 10 yards from me!! Holy Smokes, he was close...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 09:43:41 PM »
Yeah  Bo - I would definitely keep my hunting clothes (outer layers that is) out of the cook shack and away from anywhere people are smoking, away from gasoline (including your boots you wear to the woods), etc.  For whatever reason, a clean wood campfire doesn't seem to leave a scent that alarms them much, maybe it's a common enough smell that they don't associate it with danger.  But things like bacon frying, cigarette smoke, etc isn't so natural apparently (I don't get it, how can they not like bacon??)
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad