New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Which is Better a 260 Rem or a 6.5 Creedmoor - Too Close to Call....  (Read 111 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
http://americanshootingjournal.com/260-remington-vs-6-5-creedmoor/

Wow - where to begin...for the average shooter, it is so close, its hard to choose one over the other....About 5 years ago, I got my first 260 Remington, it was a Savage Model 10 in Camo and put a Vortex HST Viper on top of it....and at the same time found the money to buy me a Savage 10BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor....for the start, I knew they were close but as I study them I realize that there is hard to chose one over the other! Just asked any deer! Just kidding....but both are under 3000 fps, both have high BC and both are very good deer rounds....both are very recoil friendly (they don't kick either)

Taking them both to the range, the Savage 10BA Stealth in the 6.5 CM is very good at long ranges, the groups I was getting using factory loads (back then) was under 1 inch at 200 yards!! Amazing.....the Savage 10 Camo in 260 Rem (all hand loads) was more like a hunting rifle have taken it to the woods with me a bunch of times and it is base off of the 308 Win (just necked down to .264 diameter). I was getting under an inch groups at 100 yards (several times was getting dime size groups) but still working on the hand loads....so which is better? Man that is hard to say....

This year, I got a used 260 Custom Savage with a Shilen barrel and it shot very well, and its 24", #5 barrel is heavy, but not to heavy to take hunting...Now, it has shot a couple of amazing good groups out of it, wasn't sure what I was getting when I got it...now within a few weeks and will order the Bergara B14 HMR next week for sure....as you know that I have the Tract Toric Scope for it, with the Vortex Cant Level and the Tally Picatinny rail and ordered last night some Tally high rings for it...I will be taking all four 2 - 260's and 2 - 6.5 CM to the range next month to do my own test on them all...will take the LabRadar and will report back to you guys on what I find or found out about each rifle.....

From a reloader - It looks like the 6.5 CM is more efficient...but I am basing this on the 127 gn Barnes TTSX bullet, have been studying them.....but I'm still tweaking the with the 260 load using the 127 gn pill and trying to shoot up the 143 gn Hornady ELD-X factory bullet for the 6.5 CM.....I really cannot compare them unless I go bullet to bullet (head to head) match up....will do that soon probably in August sometimes....Will keep the 127 pill in mind when i start reloading for the 6.5 PRC....I am going to focus on med to slow Burning Powder from IMR or H4350 of slower. Several load that all the books recommend is from IMR-4064 powder...but if you are an avid reloader like I am, then there is always a better hand load out there somewhere.....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:48:25 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Which is Better a 260 Rem or a 6.5 Creedmoor - Too Close to Call....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:09:14 AM »
around here the one that you can find ammo for is the one to go with
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 11:14:21 AM »
kinda like splitting hairs. i'd go w/ whatever ammo is easiest to find
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 08:12:45 PM »
YEP   splitting hairs.  If you are going to shoot deer at all normal ranges the difference between the 260 and the 6.5 Creed is so little it would be impossible to tell one from the other. The advantage goes to the Creedmoor when the long slippery high BC bullets are used. The long COL of the high BC bullets wont normally fit in a 260's magazine and by pushing the bullets deeper into the case it takes up case capacity and velocity suffers and the long bullet jump can hurt accuracy. Leaving the bullets seated out will turn your 260 into a single shot. The 6.5 Creedmoor has a case short enough that the long high BC bullets can be seated "long" and still fit in a short action and feed from the magazine.          The same differences can be said for the 243 win and the 6mm Creedmoor.    All this only matters if you want to shoot long range.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 03:13:58 AM »
Notsams - Interesting that you say that and you are 100% right about those longer bullets....but, I plan on finding loads for both the 260 Rem and the 6.5 CM that are tract drives at 200 yards and in, because that is where I hunt at very close range - under 200 yards, heck under 100 yards....but if I ever wanted to hunt longer distances, I would certainly look at the 6.5 PRC, the 270WSM or the 7mm STW or 7mm Rem Mag...for those longer distances... I agree with you completely on your analogy about longer bullets, I have 100's of them of very long bullets and have turn a few rifles into single shots, even have gotten the followers and put them into place.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
The one you have your trigger finger on.  (*&^&%#
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad