New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Today's Project - Installing a Magpul Mag Well for 700 SA  (Read 196 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Today - Installed a Mag Pul Magazine Well in a Remington 700 SA that accepts AICS 308 size magazine......

Today it was filing and fitting and filing some more and more filing. After 4.5 hours of hand filing, I finally got it to fit up. This rifle is my original Rem 700 BDL is 308 Win with its 24" Varmint Barrel, it was a shiny blue style with the high gloss finish. The year was 1977 when I bought it from David Gun Room in Norcross, GA. So that explains a lot...LOL...the BDL came with its shiny stock and a magazine drop plate. Shot Federal Premiums in it, 165 gn Sierra GK.....the darn thing shot a 1.1 inch group my first target.
Put a Leupold VX2 3-9X x 40mm on top of it, where it stayed for many years and it did take its fair share of deer!! more than I can count...

Went ahead and got RCBS dies for it and started saving my 308 Win Brass......after using this rifle in the woods for several years decided on putting a cheap fiberglass stock on it for a whopping $80 from Cablea's. In 1979 went on a deer hunt that was at the golden triangle where GA, Fla and Ala met!! No man's land, which state was I hunting in? Had a GA License! but on that hunt somehow manage to drop the 308 out of the ladder stand and it cracked the stock. So it was a very long crack so I use Electrical Tape to tape it up and used it that way for the rest of the year....

The following year put a real good my first purchased of the year was a H&S Precision stock made for it. This stock had its own Magazine floor plate....it dropped right into place with no modifications to the stock no sanding or filing. Back in the early 90's Badge Ordinance came out with a magazine will and 2 shot magazine will....So I got one for my Rem 700 in 308 and one for my 7mm-08....both rifles are in the varmint configuration, both with heavy barrels and the 7mm-08 is a shade more accurate than the 308, just barely! Got the Badger Ordinance for rifles......

A few days ago was I was at Bud's Gun Shop before going to the TN Smokies Game, where they lost 5-4 but it was a good game....but at Bud's they had a Mag Pul Magazine Well kit for a Rem 700 SA....at a reasonable cost of $54.95, I thought this would be good to go from a 3 shot total for the Badger Ordinance magazine to a total of 6 rounds with the Mag Pul with it AICS magazines.....been eyeing this one for a few months now....It is a tight fit, and it will take a lot to release it....went from 3 shots capability to 6 shots...love that feature....

Got it installed today after 3.5 hours of hand filing. it finally fitted up in the stock housing....I notice that it did not have a Cant Level and the scope that is currently on the Rem 308 is a old Burris Electro-Dot 3-9X x 40mm. So I did change my CR2032 battery that was shot, but the Red Center Dot - Still worked! ....need to level the rifle up today to my standards, added the 1" Vortex cant level, and take it to the range and then it will be up to date....again...but this was my first 308, and it holds tons of memories.....

Bo   

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:32:43 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Today's Project - Installing a Magpul Mag Well for 700 SA
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:39:09 PM »
Today my standard Vortex Cant Level and the SIG Kilo850 Rangefinder came in today and before getting the the SIG, went ahead and mounted the Cant Level and leveling every thing to earth took some time but got it done and then try to learn the SIG RF for a while, then sized up some brass for a Cooper 308.....so it was a productive day.....

So now my Very First 308 Win in a Remington 700 Varmint with it's Map Pul, Mag Well, AICS magazine, it;s new Vortex Cant Level, changed the battery in the scope. So will be thinking about taking it to the range with me either this Thursday (7-11) or Monday (7-15), New Scope Cover.....so a few rounds and it will be ready to go...... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:46:00 AM »
Nice work Bo looks good.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
Good work Bo . @--0--0104
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »
Looks good, Bo.  Years ago, I installed a trigger guard with a floor plate off a 7mm 700, on my 700 adl 30-06. Had to open up the mag well on the stock and everything fit well. So I now have  a 700 ADL+.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 07:11:03 AM »
Thanks guys for the comments.

Louie - Many years ago I installed a Shilen Trigger to replace the 700 Trigger, and set it for 2.5 lbs, when I it down and in pieces installed the Mag Pul Mag Well, I went ahead and tested the trigger again with 5 pulls and average it out All pulls was with the Lyman Electronic Trigger Gauge. First pull was right at 3.1 lbs (because it had been setting up for a few years with out taking it to the range)....Second pull was down to 2.85 lbs and Third pull was at 2.54 lbs. The Fourth pull was right at 2.50 lbs, and the Fifth and final pull was at 2.62 lbs. This goes to show you and this is what I have done for years and years, before going to my stand, in the camper before loading it up will pull cock and pull the trigger a couple of times before heading to my stand. When I get up in my stand then and only then I will load a round in the chamber. (I am embarrassed to say that I have been in the tree and I realized that I have not chambered a round...oh no! What if a deer (naturally a big buck) had been walking by...I would have been in a world of hurt then!! I have found that since the Firing Pin is Stainless Steel, it doesn't hurt to "dry-fire" it several times.....so folks will have a problem with this but over the years I have been doing this exercise, it has not hurt the firing pins at all.....

But while I had the 700 down, installed my Standard Vortex 1" Cant Level (I have 5 - 30mm Vortex that I have not mounted yet!! Eeks!!) on the Burris Electro-Dot scope, put in a new battery (CR2032) and got a new scope cover for it....in other words bring it up to date....I think I bought this rifle in 77 or 78 not sure, can't remember these days...

It does look nice with the AICS magazine sticking out the bottom and with the new AICS magazine went from 3 shots to 6 shots...but only need one shot...LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
Well Bo I am sure you only need one shot but, if you get into a bunch of hogs you will need one for each of them!! ;D
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 09:06:16 AM »
Bo, I got mine from a pawnshop back in 1971.  I calculate I may have shot it maybe 300 times, mostly at paper. Did kill 4 deer with it on 2008, in Texas.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 04:54:08 PM »
Blue and Louie - it is a very old rifle, not as old as Louie's (Louie you are dating yourself, LOL) but it is still old, think I got it back in 77 or 78....first put a Leupold on it then another Leupold, then a Nikon then back with Leupold, not a Burris...wow, think I have taken a bunch of deer with it...I don't think I have as rounds down mine, but the target count stands at 143....which mean it has fired around 572 rounds down the barrel, sometimes 5 shots groups, sometimes 3 shots groups, so I took the average....somewhere in the gun room have all 143 targets and will go down and investigate this....

This old varmint is one that I will not part with...it was my main rifle until I got my Rem 700 LTR in 308....I have a 7mm-08 Rem Varmint that looks like the 700 308...now they are different, the 7mm-08 has the Badger Ordinance Magazine Weill in it along with now three magazines for the 7mm-08....but one year I did take 5 does with this rifle...all one shot...amazing accurate...got it in 82 or 83 and put the Badger Ordinance Magazine Wells in both of the rifles, now with the Mag Pul in the 308 Varmint, I can tell the difference in the two...the 7mm-08 has a old gloss Leupold 3-9X x 40mm. Don't think I have changed scopes on it...still worked then and still works today....

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:34:05 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 07:13:38 AM »
I was looking through my collection of Remingtons and found a Varmint 243 that the Magpul Mag Well would work great in....so that is my next project as well as getting a new trigger or spring of do whatever I have to, to reduce the trigger pull of the 243 Win in the Ruger International.....

When I go to Buds Gun Shop this Tuesday, will see if they have a another Magpul Magwell Kit available and if so I will go ahead and buy it.....got to get another 5 shot Magpul P5 for the old Rem 308 Varmint.....

This time will get out the Dremmel tool and use it instead of doing it by hand!!! Daaa.....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:16:41 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad