New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Advice in purchasing bow next year  (Read 309 times)

Offline mkaiser

• Fawn
Advice in purchasing bow next year
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:26:17 PM »
Looking at purchasing a new left handed compound bow next year and wanting to spend between $600 to $700.  Have always shot Hoyt bows but would be open to Mathews as well.  Any recommendations for this price range?
Aim Small Miss Small

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Advice in purchasing bow next year
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 07:09:29 AM »
Just shoot as many as you can and pick the one you are more comfortable with and shoot the best.

Hoyt and Matthews are both good bows but bow they feel in the hand is more important.   
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:26:34 AM »
i agree. go to an archery shop and give them your price range. shoot every bow in that range. put the maybe's on one side and the no's back on the shelf. whittle it down until you find what feels best. you may be surprised at what bow you like, i was

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »
Those first two responses cover it well, that's sound advice
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:32:41 AM »
Agree! Por Shop is the best way to go for a new bow and their service vs. big box stores
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline mkaiser

• Fawn
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:51:32 PM »
Definitely limited on how many bows to shoot being left handed since there is less demand but I am planning to go to an archery store here locally.  Thanks for the responses.
Aim Small Miss Small

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 06:09:18 PM »
I'm left-handed as well. Your options will be limited but as stated above. Shoot as many as you can. If the bow doesn't fit your hand. Don't buy it. If two fit your hand. Buy the bow that has the least amount of movement on release.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 05:51:57 AM »
Well Over 20 years ago, I was "fitted" with a PSE Mach Flite Four (Ancient by today's standards) from a small Pro Shop that was located in the woods - seriously, it was located in the middle of nowhere in South Atlanta!! All they sold is bows. Since I am also left handed (shoot Compound Bow left handed, but Crossbow shoot right handed) it took them a few weeks extra to get it in from PSE.

Both Husband and Wife helped us with new PSE Bows, it happen in the spring of that year and we were planning on heading to Colorado in the fall for a Archery Hunt (10 day hunt). They knew their stuff, we were both measured for out bows, Randy, my shooting buddy at the time, was right handed and his bow was in stock. After shooting Randy's Bow for two weeks, it was a few tweaks that the bow needed and each time we went down there they owners would bestow some really good knowledge on both of us.....I know I made three trips to the "shop" for them to tweak my new left handed PSE Bow, my overdraw system clocked out at 241 fps, fast for the times back then......the Archery Trips to Colorado was a success that year and for a couple of years after that...but still have that PSE Bow today and still practice with it shoot about 50 arrows with it in targets in the back yard, but these days as I age, the Crossbow is my weapon of choice....

I totally agree with everyone here that says that a small shop is the way to go over a big box store.....nothing like the personal touch and fit when it comes to a new Bow.....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »
I have been shooting for 40 years.  You get what you pay for!  Hoyt and Mathews are two good manufactures.  You can not go wrong with either one.  My philosophy is stay with one of the major manufactures and purchase their top tier bows.  They will last longer, be more reliable, more accurately, shoot quietly, less vibration...   Over the years I have had some real winners and some real losers.  I would recommend budgeting twice as much $1500 for a bow and accessories.  Even if that means waiting until next year to make your purchase.  You will be much happier with your new bow and setup.  Whatever you choose enjoy!       
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »
Bo, that shop sounds familiar. Do they also sell guns? I bought my Mossberg Ulti Mag from a husband and wife sports shop in s. atlanta. I just can not recall the name but I have a picture of it in my head
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
I agree with the small mom and pop or just a local or regional shop where you get the personal service.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

New Page 3

Google Ad