New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: work weekend  (Read 308 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
work weekend
« on: July 01, 2019, 11:18:30 AM »
all i can say is WOW! the weeds in my plots were 7-8' tall and totally out of control. i had to mow them 3 times before i could spray. my sprayer gave me fit so i have no idea what kind of coverage i got. filters clogged, pieces coming off.... heat index over 95 didn't help. soil samples are in the mail to WTI. should be able to plant next trip if the feds can tell me when the road will be open.

i did see a fawn, so that was good. i saw a turkey w/ 7 little ones smaller than my fist, so just a couple days old outside the cabin. not a lot of deer, but there is a ton of food all over right now

i saw a cougar w/ something in it's mouth cross the road just south of hayward. i'm sure glad the DNR says there aren't any in WI

three +10 hour days and no issues other than the sprayer, so i guess it was a good trip. i did have a funny smell outside the cabin. my nose isn't good, so i don't know if it was something dead or a gas leak under the cabin. i'll need to figure that out next time. i just don't ever have enough time in the summer to get it all done. @--0--0117
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: work weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:33:19 PM »
 ##$%#15   ##$%#13  glad you got something done not sure what I will be doing with the new job weekends are for mowing the yard
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 03:47:35 PM »
95 heat index...wow that's pretty warm for your neck of the woods!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »
more of the same hear next weekend. I may have to postpone my planting weekend
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 07:26:57 PM »
Yep, we've gone from needing to grow fur and gills to 90 degree days and little rain. The one plot I got in this spring is terribly weedy, mowed it down last week and will have to see if at least the clover comes back.  Will have to wait a while before plowing up older plots and replanting.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »
Our Work Weekend will be this Weekend. August 22nd thru August 25th. It will be hot and humid....it will good to see the guys again, since last February!

But I sort expect it to be very hot and very humid and all of us Seniors will work half days and then chill out somewhere....everyone has a AC unit in their campers just for times like this...sleep very well....Yours truly does not have an AC unit...just fans and more fans....the fans will keep the mosquitoes off of me by blowing them off somewhere else.....

But after we get through hopefully it will rain and rain and rain some more....the last few years, the food plots have been hurting because of it being to hot with no rain.....

So for a bunch of old guys we will get it done, may take a few hours longer, but we will get it done..... 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
I think I'm probably going to have to put off plot work until spring.  Weather is just terrible and time is getting short.  Too dry to bother busting up ground and seeding as the rain forecast continues to be bleak here.  May try to get down to bro in law's place and put a small one in but even that's unlikely at this stage.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »
bo- good luck and be safe

mad- it looks like you guys are getting a ton of rain. aren't you west central ILL?

i just got a call from my logger. he is straightening out my roads from this winters logging. i will need to plant them next weekend or they will wash out in spring. just when i figured i was done! this work never ends. i'm supposed to be staining, repairing equipment from the planting season and fixing my LP line next weekend. next weekend just went into overdrive again.

the good news is he will be done and out of there. the bad news is i'm sure he ripped up the plots that have been in for a month
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »
Yari, we're just having one of those weird summers where the rain keeps missing us.  Other folks not too far off have been catching decent rains but not much in our little corner of paradise.  Ten miles or less from here they got an inch and a half Tuesday.  We got four tenths, which was the most we've had in a couple months but really need a true soaking rain to close the cracks and bring things back to life.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »
Yari, we're just having one of those weird summers where the rain keeps missing us.  Other folks not too far off have been catching decent rains but not much in our little corner of paradise.  Ten miles or less from here they got an inch and a half Tuesday.  We got four tenths, which was the most we've had in a couple months but really need a true soaking rain to close the cracks and bring things back to life.

it's feast or famine. i figured you were soaked. let's hope you get fall rains to bring you back before winter
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 08:00:47 AM »
Our Work Weekend was a very successful weekend, despite some folks we know that try to injury themselves on their ATV's....(yours truly and I am still limping around the house here) I will survive and hunt another year at the club....but Split Toe said "finished" around 4:05 PM and it started to sprinkling about 5:45 PM and then it stormed around about 6:15 for about an hour or so.....

Hopefully the Hurricane that is bearing down on Florida and expected to turn North will not wash out our hard worked food plots.....but one thing everybody should put down on the Bucket List to bring down to each food plot besides the Fertilizer, Lime and Seed is the bucket!! I keep them down at our club a couple 1 gallon and a couple of 2.5 gallons....but be sure to put a bucket on your bucket list!!!

Just cannot wait to the season starts....shooting my Compound and the Crossbow in the back yard....the Compound currently stands at 30 yards and the Crossbow currently stands at 50 yards.........and as you all of you know, the Muzzle Loader is a work in progress!! but it is slowly getting there!!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad