New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: 783 remington in 308  (Read 385 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
783 remington in 308
« on: June 30, 2019, 07:41:48 PM »
      My sister hunts deer with us for 2 days each year. She doesn't practice as much as I would like to see her do and her shooting shows it. The food plot she hunts isn't that big and a 125 yard shot is the max. She has been using a small caliber rifle and the results are not good. Exit holes are non existent. The woods are very thick and without a blood trail the deer are hard to find. My dad bought a Rem 783 in a 308 win for her to use. Because of her fear of a scope in the eye, we are downloading the ammo. We settled on a 165 gr Speer bullet at 2000 fps. This fall hopefully we can see how it performs.                       Now for the 2nd part of the story.   1 of the hand loads had a velocity of 2400 fps and shot about 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I shot a 3 shot 8 inch group at 500 yards and a 12 inch 3 shot group at 600 yards with the rifle. The scope came on the rifle as a "combo" and is a 3-9 x40. There isn't even a brand name on the scope, it is poor quality and the crosshairs cover about 5 inches of the target at 500 yards. It made it very hard to shoot small groups at long range. The rifle works fine and has the "accutrigger" type trigger which I don't personally like but it brakes at about 3.5 lbs so I didn't adjust it. All 3 groups tested shot 1.5 inches or less at 100 yards. The clip goes in and out easily but  sometimes when there is 4 shells in the clip it won't pick up the shell when closing the bolt.     If I put a better scope on it and worked up a accurate load with a "target" type bullet, I think it would shoot under 1 moa out to 600 yards.   But still not bad for a $329.99 rifle and scope combo.

TalkHunting Community

783 remington in 308
« on: June 30, 2019, 07:41:48 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 783 remington in 308
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 08:58:52 PM »
Is recoil a issue with her and by small cal are you talking 243 ? ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »
Notsams - Congrats on your family that hunts together and she only does it to please your dad....Your statement about the her eye getting hit with the scope ocular end of the scope. I would teach her that every scope has an eye relief and maybe you need to show here with an un-loaded rifle. I think we all have been hit by the scope at some point in our lives and it you teach her to hold it properly, tight against the shoulder, then she would not have to worry about having the dreaded "scope-cut" above the eye.

I image she was using a 223 when you mention that there was no exit hold and the results are not good...Sure the 223 would bring down a nice buck but that would be down here in the South not up North where you guys live and the deer grow much larger!! The 308 or the 7mm-08 is a good round to have. I have 21 - 308's and have been reloading them for well over 40 years. Depending on the twist in the barrel 10, 11 or 12 twist, you need to shoot the bullet that the twist rate calls for...Have you every heard of the Miller twist rate formula? Look it up and give it a try. I plugged in your assumed numbers and you are right on the edge of being to slow for the 10 twist rage you are using, maybe a lighter bullet say a 150-155 gn. bullet. Since you reload you may need to consider a lighter bullet, but that would equal to less recoil and just by your statements she is recoil sensitive....you may need to invite her to your place during the summer and practice then as well, every time she comes to your or your Dad's place you may want to pull out the 783....and you might want to use a 22 rimfire for starters. That might ease her into the centerfires for the fall....just asking...

Have you ever thought about getting her a pistol scope or a long eye relief scope? just wondering...The 783 has a 10 twist rate in it which means it was designed for 165/168 gn bullets. If you are slowing the bullet down, you might want to try reloading some 150 to 155 gn bullets unless you are loading those up now...your groups of 1.5" are good enough for deer at 125 yards...My standard load for most but not all of my 308 with 12 twist is the 155 Berger VLD, Lapua Brass, CCI-BR2 Primer and 42.37 gns or Viht 140 or 540 powder...normally I do shot dime groups at 100 yards. It also drops an average of 4.14 inches at 200 yards out of a 20" long barrel and most of the data comes from trail and error....

If you load up some target loads up for her, I think the deer would suffer...most target bullets are not recommended for hunting except for varmints or predators...

So how long have you had the 783? and do you like it? what loads do you normally shot in it? not for your sis, but for you? You where talking about a new scope, what kind and power of scope are you currently using?   

Sundowner - I was wondering if she was using a 70 or 80 gn 243 Win but we use them down here and a 100 gn Sierra GK is what I use it in mine, I also use a 4831 powder is it as well, I know but the darn thing shoots dime groups all day long at 100 yards....but I was wondering about a 243 or a 223 round.....Thanks for the comments....

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:25:12 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
    Thanks for the replys. I didn't say the cartridge because I know they work for some people but for my sister it doesn't. The woods are very thick and everything is brown in the woods. The food plots are covered in deer sign and sometimes it is hard to find any signs of a hit. But even when she makes a perfect lung shot there is no exit hole. I was going to buy a box of Nosler Partitions but Dad said "lets try a down loaded 308". I agree the 308 is a better option anyway.        Sundowner,   We have been using 100 gr or 105 gr bullets up till now.            I am impressed with the 783 Rem. Someday I might tune the trigger, add a long range Leupold scope and load up some target bullets and see what it will do a 1000 yards. Just for fun.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 10:01:21 PM »
I was thinking of using a copper solid the buck I shot 2 years ago was with a Barnes 120gr TTSX out of my 7mmx08 encore at 90 yards on a frontal shot it liquefied but lungs took out half the heart and ended up under the shin on his rump without doing damage to the intestines , only went 40 yards DDW . Even at a reduced load at 2200fps something like that should do the job .  ##$%#1118   
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 04:23:55 AM »
Notsams - You know that a few manufactures are making reduce loads just for that reason....a young or first time or a female hunter are recoil sensitive and they realize that turns a lot of women off to our wonderful sport......

There was a young man that hunted with us a few years back and he was recoil sensitive and we his uncle bought him a 243 and was using 100 gn factory bullets in in it when he nailed a very nice 10 pointer.....

My wife uses her 7mm08 and the Steyr M96 will only shoot the 120 gn bullet (Nosler Ballistic Tip) only. It will not shoot the 130, 140, 150 or the 160 very accurately...but using the 120 I was able to reduce the loads for her a bit....so there is hope for her after all.....

Please keep us informed on her progress....Thanks
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 05:06:06 PM »
     My sister shot the 308 yesterday and did very well with it. We shot gallon jugs filled with water. We still have almost 2 months till season so she will shoot it more. The recoil didn't bother her at all.

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 10:43:10 AM »
Good news Notsams hope she gets to take a shot at a deer this season tell her good luck!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 06:11:54 AM »
I have heard and read a lot about the 783 from Remington in of course 308...and have been seeing a lot of them on Gunbroker as well.....Remington needs to adopt Cooper Policy of shipping a target that has been shot with that Cooper....it sure would help....for the money it is a great deal for it.....and put a Crossfire II scope from Vortex and you will have a value plus rifle for sure..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad