New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Tools  (Read 261 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Tools
« on: June 29, 2019, 04:49:12 AM »
Anybody that is serious about shooting at the range ought to invest in a weather station as Range Tool....I have an Cole-Palmer, a La Crosse Weather stations....that I have used for years and years at the range, every since 91 or 92 and first used a Cole-Palmer Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer that give you the Temp and the Humidity and for the past few years have been using the the La Crosse Desktop Weather station because it give me the the Temp, Humidity and the Barometric Pressure. both use one triple A battery and they last for years and both have a low battery indicator, carry both of them with me....

What I ended up doing was to get some very small Harbor Digital Hydrometer that I got a pair for at Amazon for $15. I use these to make sure that My Cole-Palmer and the La Crosse are close to what the actual maybe...they all come in with 1 degree of each other and the Humidity is very close too, within 2%. You can drop the Harbor Temp/Humidity gauges in your range bag with you and have them with you at all times...They take a flat round CR2032 battery that will last probably 2 years or so....I have taken my to the range for 4 times now (this year) and it still is accurate.

I worked a bench rest shoot back in Atlanta one year and most of the guys had their own weather stations with them. It was a assortment of stations there they did set up them ahead of time and sent the data to a printer back then and so of them even downloaded their data viva cable off of the weather station with the early laptops. I think it was around the late 70's that I worked this shoot but remember the weather station and their short heavy barrel rifle and their scopes was as long as their rifles!!

I also have three hand held temp guns that are laser. I carry a cheapie one, that I measure most things at one time with me....I probably spent $20 buck on it...the one shown on the photo cost $15 viva Amazon. I also have a Fluke that I paid big bucks for!! I sort of save it for the hard to reach places....for the Range, I use this to check on where the hot spots are at at the barrel and it depends on your load as well....

There are the two things I would recommend for anyone who is serious shooter to have in the range bag.....

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 04:51:03 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Tools
« on: June 29, 2019, 04:49:12 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Range Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:02:59 AM »
definitely useful tools. your range bags must weigh 50 lbs
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 11:26:19 AM »
I have a Fluke temp gun too Bo.  Comes in very handy for frying fish too!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:34:27 AM »
Yari - Nope only about 30 lbs...LOL....but it is getting heavy I will go though and list those things I have in mine.....

Mad - Yes Fluke makes very good and expensive tools. When I was working, I was an Instrumentation &Controls Engineer (I&C) and we would only use Fluke tools to take our reading with...have about 6 Fluke devices that I often use for around the house here......

Also a cooler full of liquids this time of year, was at the range today and it was hot and humid...felt more like August than July here.....also take towels to wipe off the sweat....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 06:39:54 AM »
After posting this I went through my range box (a plastic tote) and look for things I could remove, found a couple of sets of duplicated tools and need to replace a small plastic box or put a bungy cord around it to hold it closed, but what makes it heavy sand bags that I have in it, it is 4 bags filled with sand and a Caldwell Rock Front and Rear Combo set. So if I remove those 6 items the sucker is weight is very light.....also had in it a few plastic window shades slats for the Oehler 35P that I sometimes used....

The LabRadar Chronograph is very good now and it doesn't take up much room, so am thinking about taking that and putting it in the tote and taking those sandbags out, not sure what I will do next....but will head for the range on Thursday July 11....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 06:16:40 AM »
For some strange reason this year have been pulling out my range tools out of my tote. Just to tweak the rifles, make scope adjustments or to help other shooters or for some reason....I have both of these tools in my tote this year and I would recommend that you go out and get one and put in your range bag....for years if I had a problem at the range I would quit shooting that particular rifle and wait till I got home to work or it......and for years and years have been throwing tools into the my range tote....

I got tired of not shooting the rifle I intended to shoot at the range, so I started looking for a multi-tool that I could use at the range for a specific purpose.....these tools helped me out greatly.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
I keep one in my truck and in my backpack. they come in handy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »
Yari - Good idea, I keep an original Leatherman (bought in the 70's) in the console of my truck next to the 9mm......

My tote has too much stuff in it, when I bought the second Range Tool, forget that I have previous purchase one many years ago.......Daaaa....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad