New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Opinion - Observations at the Range  (Read 355 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Opinion - Observations at the Range
« on: June 08, 2019, 06:15:21 AM »
In the past few years, I spend a lot of time at the range and this year is no exception will be spending a lot of time out there. One thing that I notice that almost everyone has a AR15 style rifle that comes out to the range and this year I notice what guys pull out to shoot. I have the luxury if call it that, of watching and waiting (for my barrels to cool), at least 10 minutes between shots, that is if I don't get distracted and start a conversation with another guy...LOL, and about 20 to 30 minutes for magnums....so I get a chance to see what everybody is shooting and it sure seems like ever year, there are more and more folks showing up at the range with one and our range has built just an AR range, but everyone still uses the ones with the concrete bench rest.

About 10 years ago, I notice that AR were going to be a wave of the future, my shooting buddy Billy brought one over to the house that he had built. That is when I started noticing them. About 5 years ago about 50% of the shooters at the range pulled out, as their first rifle, an AR style rifle. Now days it everybody has one, and just this past week, there was one guy at the very end that was sighting in his muzzle loader in, you could tell he was on his lunch hour...he was in and out in 30 minutes but everyone else had a AR style rifle.

I like to bring my out all at one time, I have one Windham Weaponry that needs to go to the range, currently it is only bore sighted. It seems like I am getting more and more AR style rifles, like the 6.8 SPC II, (basically it uses the 270 bullets), the 300 BO, that use the 125 gn 30 caliber bullet that fit inside a 223 case, the 6.5 Grendel and a few 223 rifles, which I do limit myself to bringing 6 to the range with me, but I do an AR only day at the range.

Will the new black or AR rifles replace the old standard bolt action rifles? or will the new bolt action with with their skeletal type stocks and frames will they replace the old standard bolt action rifles....only time will tell...I know the ammo manufacturers are working on accuracy of these factory rounds and looking at the old Cablea's and Midway, Powder Valley, and other sites, they are offering more specific ammo. Will one day we go on line and ordered specific ammo where you plug in your barrel's twist rate, your barrel length and then they will recommend an ammo for it? I know that I do not load for a 223 or 5.56 at all, I use the Black Hills ammo exclusively. It depends of what the rifle I will be shooting and it's twist rate and the barrel length, it sure seems like the newer rifles have 7", 8" and 9" twist in them so that tells me to use anywhere from 69 to 77 gn ammo in the rifles.....

So I as I observe at the range every time I go and it will be every week or at least every other week that I will head out there I will be out there taking my old standard bolt action rifles but will be observing what other rifles other folks bring out there.......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Opinion - Observations at the Range
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »
Yeah Bo, The "modern sporting rifle" craze is going strong.  I've traditionally been a single shot/bolt guy, and never really had much interest in the ARs, but about 8 years ago I popped a coyote one cold winter morning behind my house only to see two more immediately bolt for cover.  Didn't manage to get off a shot at either one with my Ruger M77 (frankly may not have even with the AR) but it got me thinking about trying a semi auto.  Was originally just going to a Mini 14, but concerns about accuracy shifted my focus to a custom AR build.  Put my first one together in '13 and have built a couple more since.  Everything has been .223/5.56 so far, thinking about moving up to a bigger Cal on a future build but staying in the AR15 lower.  Also planning to build one up with a walnut stock, just because I love wood.  Here's a picture of my first build after my rattle can camo job.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
Will be going to the range tomorrow (8-28) and will see how many AR will be pulled out and shot.....This will be the 11th trip to the range this year and seen almost everybody including Billy, my shooting Buddy, pull out his. I would bet that more than 70% of all of the guys that visit the range this year do have a AR style rifle...this is my observations at the range this year, but only will add to it tomorrow.....wish me luck.....

Am taking the Bergara 6.5 CM, the Christensen Arm 6.5 PRC and the CVA Muzzle Loader and maybe the Custom Cooper 308.....maybe one more.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:04:58 AM »
i haven't jumped on the AR bandwagon. i'll stick w/ the tried and true bolt action
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »
I'm not on the ban wagon myself. They are fun to shoot but I just don't see me owning or hunting with one.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
I somewhat go along with you Bo as far as at the range on a normal day . However every year the club holds a rifle sigh tin before the deer season and there other types of rifles way out number the AR'S that hunters bring to get sighted in .  @--0--0104
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 02:33:23 PM »
This is just between us chickens....I will go to the range one day a year, maybe two, won't tell anybody when I going, even Talk Hunting family! I will load up the Truck with about 75% of my AR style rifles and shoot them....will have tons of fun as well....will set up my brass catcher and fill the puppy up with spent brass.....

But I do have the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC II, 300 Blackout, 308 Win, and of course the 223, several of them....it makes a fun day....

The same goes for the 338 Lapua, and the 375 H&H Mag and the 338 Win Mag. Will take them all to the range one day without anybody knowing about them.....in this case don't want anybody to see me cry....the range will not let me bring the Barrett to the range, that is prohibited.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 05:58:48 AM »
I don't own an AR type rifle only because I don't really have a need for one. That being I like them and I could see using one for Hogs or Coyotes where you may get more than 1 shot and you are trying whack as many as you can. I don't know if they will ever over take bolt actions other traditional hunting rifles but if they do so be it at least folks are still hunting. I use a Model 99 lever in .300 Savage to deer hunt if not that it's my Model 700 in .300 Savage guess I am boring ;D but hunt with the gun I shoot the best period. Thanks for the observations Bo and keep the report coming I like reading them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:14:15 AM by BLUETOE »
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »
I do not own one nor is it in my bucket list. If others like them, want them, no skin off my nose, I say fine
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 05:58:31 PM »
https://www.ar15.com/index.html

This past Wednesday, Billy S, my shooting buddy brought his 6.8 SPC II with him...and we were the only two at the range. He shot his at 100 yards also, and a 10 shot group of about an 1 MOA.....very good shooting...

Oh almost forgot, for those of you who are interested in your own AR, the link above is one of the best ones I have found.....enjoy....

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:00:15 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 11:01:12 AM »
I remember saying I was a "B" rifle guy before. That is it has to be a Bolt or Break action for me. Well guess what!!!!  ##$%#13

I've just recently purchased a S&W MP 15-22.  --7-8-9 Yup you heard it it here first!  @--0--0118 This will be the "NEW" Dutch...  ()*$%RT

I just rewarded my "good" behavior with a present to my favorite person.   ##$%#1119 On the more serious side, I thought about whistle  @--0--0108 and ground  ##$%#16. If I put a can on it I can have a little pre-breakfast fun and nobody would be the wiser. Cept fer the  @--0--0108 's and  ##$%#16 's a course.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 07:42:37 AM »
Wow - Like most of you, I will use a standard bolt action rifle with me this year, no AR (which stands for Armalite Rifle not the assault rifle) will see the woods this year or any year as far as I am concerned, but having said that, I do own a bunch of semi-auto's rifles it started out with a Springfield-Savage 187H a 22 semi auto that shoots the 22 short, longs and long rifle ammo....and that sucker you could light matches at 50 yards with it....also own a bunch of other like the CZ-512 22 magnum, it is semi auto as well.

The only thing I am worried about it that our wonderful politicians in their hindsight will not bad firearms but they surely can change the laws where you can only use single shot rifles to hunt with....in the name of safety of course, yea right......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 06:30:07 PM »
Welcome to the 21st century Dutch!  I can't say too much, it was only a few years ago that I got the AR bug myself.  Now, if only they'd let us have cans in IL!!!
 @--0--0117

I have my initial AR dialed in pretty well now, it has a 20" varmint barrel (Rock River) with a rifle length gas system and .223 Wylde chamber.  With my current handloads it will do .75" three shot groups at 200 yards on a calm day.  The other two are 16" mil-spec barrels with mid-length gas systems.  Haven't bothered to work up reloads for them yet, as one has a red dot on it and the other a sightmark photon digital night vision scope, so pinpoint accuracy is tough to achieve as you get out in that 100 yd+ range anyway.  With those sights I can't claim much better than 2 MOA accuracy at 100 yards on a good day.  I got into these primarily for yotes, hoping that a quick followup shot might help me put a few more down.  Can't say that's proven to be terribly useful yet vs my bolt gun, but a guy needs a hobby right?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 07:03:38 AM »
Like Dutch, a lot of folks are showing up at the range with Semi-auto 9mm, 22 LR and 22 Mag.....last week (10-1) the two guys that were there when I arrive, both were shooting these little guys, and it wasn't till they fired them that I could tell what caliber they were....

Am going to the range next week either the 9th,10th or the 11th and will be taking a 22 semi auto (at least one of them maybe two or three of them.....along with the Blaser R93 243 Win....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
Headed to range this Wednesday for the last time - it has to be because I have got to start loading the truck....not sure at this moment what I will take to the range this time. but it will be my 16th trip to the range this year...boy that goes to show you that I need it..because after the great flood of 2019, wasn't not sure how good these rifles would shoot and how much the moisture/humidity effected them for about a week they were exposed to the elements....

One of them will be the old semi-auto CZ 512 it looks just like an AR style rifle....may sneak out and head to the range one more time with the AR style rifles before heading South for the season......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad