New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Opinion - Observations at the Range  (Read 81 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Opinion - Observations at the Range
« on: June 08, 2019, 06:15:21 AM »
In the past few years, I spend a lot of time at the range and this year is no exception will be spending a lot of time out there. One thing that I notice that almost everyone has a AR15 style rifle that comes out to the range and this year I notice what guys pull out to shoot. I have the luxury if call it that, of watching and waiting (for my barrels to cool), at least 10 minutes between shots, that is if I don't get distracted and start a conversation with another guy...LOL, and about 20 to 30 minutes for magnums....so I get a chance to see what everybody is shooting and it sure seems like ever year, there are more and more folks showing up at the range with one and our range has built just an AR range, but everyone still uses the ones with the concrete bench rest.

About 10 years ago, I notice that AR were going to be a wave of the future, my shooting buddy Billy brought one over to the house that he had built. That is when I started noticing them. About 5 years ago about 50% of the shooters at the range pulled out, as their first rifle, an AR style rifle. Now days it everybody has one, and just this past week, there was one guy at the very end that was sighting in his muzzle loader in, you could tell he was on his lunch hour...he was in and out in 30 minutes but everyone else had a AR style rifle.

I like to bring my out all at one time, I have one Windham Weaponry that needs to go to the range, currently it is only bore sighted. It seems like I am getting more and more AR style rifles, like the 6.8 SPC II, (basically it uses the 270 bullets), the 300 BO, that use the 125 gn 30 caliber bullet that fit inside a 223 case, the 6.5 Grendel and a few 223 rifles, which I do limit myself to bringing 6 to the range with me, but I do an AR only day at the range.

Will the new black or AR rifles replace the old standard bolt action rifles? or will the new bolt action with with their skeletal type stocks and frames will they replace the old standard bolt action rifles....only time will tell...I know the ammo manufacturers are working on accuracy of these factory rounds and looking at the old Cablea's and Midway, Powder Valley, and other sites, they are offering more specific ammo. Will one day we go on line and ordered specific ammo where you plug in your barrel's twist rate, your barrel length and then they will recommend an ammo for it? I know that I do not load for a 223 or 5.56 at all, I use the Black Hills ammo exclusively. It depends of what the rifle I will be shooting and it's twist rate and the barrel length, it sure seems like the newer rifles have 7", 8" and 9" twist in them so that tells me to use anywhere from 69 to 77 gn ammo in the rifles.....

So I as I observe at the range every time I go and it will be every week or at least every other week that I will head out there I will be out there taking my old standard bolt action rifles but will be observing what other rifles other folks bring out there.......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Opinion - Observations at the Range
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »
Yeah Bo, The "modern sporting rifle" craze is going strong.  I've traditionally been a single shot/bolt guy, and never really had much interest in the ARs, but about 8 years ago I popped a coyote one cold winter morning behind my house only to see two more immediately bolt for cover.  Didn't manage to get off a shot at either one with my Ruger M77 (frankly may not have even with the AR) but it got me thinking about trying a semi auto.  Was originally just going to a Mini 14, but concerns about accuracy shifted my focus to a custom AR build.  Put my first one together in '13 and have built a couple more since.  Everything has been .223/5.56 so far, thinking about moving up to a bigger Cal on a future build but staying in the AR15 lower.  Also planning to build one up with a walnut stock, just because I love wood.  Here's a picture of my first build after my rattle can camo job.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad