New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results - Finally - Part 1 of 2  (Read 220 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results - Finally - Part 1 of 2
« on: June 04, 2019, 06:52:12 PM »
After 102 days after the big East Tennessee Flood, I am back at the range. Not with the results, I had hoped for but at least I was out there amongest them!!...LOL....It was a beautiful day at the range!! The three rifles I took with me and I limited myself to 3 because today was suppose to be a "dry-run" at the range, where I always forget something, always....I was suppose to go last Friday but I ate a whole pack of Kroger Jarlsberg dip that was out of date...one of these "best eaten by" dates and it have been out for a few days, I got sick as a dog Thursday night and the wife said that I have no one to blame buy myself, yea, she is right again....so I had the weekend to rethink what I was going to take with me.....

Decided on taking the new to me, Savage-Shilen Model 10 in 260 Rem. This rifle started out as a 24" 308 and ended up being a 21.5" 260 Rem, the previous owner had passed on this info....but of the three I took today, it looks like it is going to be a shooter, at 50 yards, it only took me two shots to be in the yellow bulls eye and then it was on too 100 yards....

The climatic conditions were as follows: 80 Degrees (and rising); Humidity was 47% (and increasing), The Barometric Pressure was falling at 30.26 Hg, the Wind was from the East North East somewhere between 3 and 8 mph, Mirage was low at 100 and nill at 50 yards, but you could look at the 200 yards range and could tell that the mirage was increasing as the day heated up......

The brand new and meaning out of the box new, was the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Series 6.5 PRC topped with a Leupold VX5-HD, 3-15X x 44mm with fire dot reticule. Leupold Picatinny Rail and Burris Extreme Rings with the Vortex Cant Level. Suppose to be the 6.5 CM on steroids but 250 fps faster...I waited to shoot this rifle last just because it was the first one in the truck and the last one out....I shot it for starters at 100 yards! only shot it 3 times and it did shoot OK, it was about 2.5 inches high and about 3" over to the left, but I thought about adjusting the scope be this new Leupold, but I needed a small Allen Wrench that I forgot about...won't make that mistake again, first thing when I got home I put an extra set of small Allen wrenches in the tote, so I shot it only three times at 100 yards, would like to sight this rifle in at 200 yard s or even 300...we will see

And the last rifle I took was the Cooper M52 in 280 Ackley, topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X x 44mm. Nice setup and I think I changed scopes on this rifle, the 50 yard target was OK and it only took two shots, to get it in the bulls-eye, but at 100 yards no matter what I did, it did not help!! the groups was all over the place, normally it  cloverleafs three shots. Have not idea, but tomorrow morning will get up early say around 3 AM and head down stairs to dig into this rifles, but it is still a nice set up...will put the bore sighted only tag back on it after I get through and then take it back to the range......

When I got there late this morning it was only about 3 or 4 guys there and 2 of them left shortly after I got there, but when I left the place was full. All old retired guy like myself...There were two guys there that shot in the nationals at Camp Perry, and one guy owned his own shop, and a bunch of folks knew this guy that was mention, he has passed away since the first of the year, but everybody knew him....he was a 22 rim fire shooter for sure....About half the guys there had black rifles and was everybody was checking what the other guys was shooting, it was more like a social club rather than a range shoot...LOL...I fitted right in with them....

So enjoy, Part two of this post will be the range shots of the rifles I took.........

Enjoy....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:09:33 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results - Finally - Part 2 of 2
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 07:02:51 PM »
Part 2 of this post is on the rifles themselves that was taken to the range today......

First two pictures was the 260 Rem in the Savage Shilen
The last two pictures are of the 6.5 PRC

You guys have seen the Cooper M52 in 280 Ackley...have posted it before.....

Enjoy
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Range Results - Finally - Part 1 of 2
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
nice looking family there. I bet it felt good to be back out there. enjoy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 06:41:52 AM »
Yari - Yes it felt very good to be at the range, maybe my second "home on the range"....got to be a song in there somewhere...

Got up early this morning it was about 4 AM and went downstairs where the Cooper M52 in the 280 Ackley, as you can tell, have tons of problems with it  being as accurate as my other Coopers. So I will try and play with the loads some....was using the 140 gn Accubonds yesterday along with Normal Brass, and RL powder and CCI-BR2 primers....

But I notice early this morning after stripping Cooper and did find where some of the ring screws were loose torque those puppies up and remounted to Zeiss Conquest and will reload today some of the 150 gn pills along with some more of the 140 will try a different load for it as well...different powder, amount and seating depth....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »
Those loose rings are likely to be the majority of the issue.  Confirm that and then the load tuning should get you back where you wanna be.
 ##$%#112
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »
the friend that just spent 5-6K on his cooper/swaro combo had the same issue after 20 rounds. everything came loose. bases and rings. funny thing is they charged him $50 to mount the scope --7-8-9
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 01:13:15 PM »
Yari - I use Locktite 242 on the Picatinny rail (that is my standard) and will torque the Picatinny rail to 45 inch pounds, the bolt action to the stock is 55 inch pounds for the front screw and 50 inch lbs for the back screw, then after mounting the picatinny rail, I will torque the ring to the picatinny base at 45 inch pounds (will not use Locktite on those screws of the scope rings to the scope either....

Mad - Yea, I normally check them out before I go to the range. The Cooper is still in the gun vise and will let it stay there a few more days (have three gun vise, two down in the gun room and one out in the garage where I do all of the cleaning at...but will check the torque values again tomorrow. Have had zero problems with all my other Coopers. if it is a bad scope of worst, a bad barrel will send it back to Cooper...either way it going to cost me money...just like the Blaser R93 Barrel, know it going to cost...ouch....

Yari - That is wild, only after 20 rounds! Wow, that sucks, I bet whomever mounted it (they knew he had money with the Swaro/Copper combo so that is why they charged him)....charged him $50, surprise it wasn't more...but I bet he use Locktite on the mount this time....LOL.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 07:12:17 AM »
Over night, I decide to put the Hawkeye bore scope inside the Cooper M52 early this morning say about 3:30 AM, got up at 3 AM could not sleep (of course), and decided to clean it again, took the scope off and check the base screws and one of them had wiggle loose, not much, but now it is torqued again to 45 inch pounds....and put the bore siter back in to check it and good thing I did, the cross-hairs had moved to the right....it has had two scope on it with the same results. Both scopes (one a Kahles and the one that is on there now is a Zeiss Conquest) did not group so it is not the a scope problem, it got to be either a barrel or a load problem so I am narrowing it down.....

But I did put the bore sited only tag back on it and will try again next week.....until I get it right.....

I am going to tweak the new to me Savage-Shilen 260 Rem load with it heavy barrel going to go up about a half grain and take that load to the range.....and the small Allen wrench that should be here next week as well, so it looks like a repeat appearance next week.....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 03:56:21 PM »
I know what you mean. sleep doesn't come easy, especially when you have something on your mind.

you have all summer to figure it out. enjoy
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 06:16:21 PM »
This afternoon, I study the hand loads over and over again and then I realized that I preach that you need to let the rifle tell you what it likes and the 140 gn Accubond is the first and only bullet I have tried in it...that is the load I wanted to work, but it has not, so will try different loads in the rifle! Start with a 150 gn Ballistic Tip, then the TTSX then the Hornady ELD-X and then the Sierra GameKing.....will try different bullets in it from the 120 gn all the way up to 175 gn and if I cannot get a load for it by then I will send it back to Cooper to be rebarreled....will even try again the 140 in the TTSX, was looking do have a new box of those bullets....like Yari - Have all summer to find the right load for it.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »
we've seen you bullet supply. it's like being a kid in a candy store. you'll find one you like.

as an aside, check your Hornady bullets. my buddy bought some a few .30's years back. he went to reload and found they were all corroded. I mean completely useless. he called Hornady and they said they were 14 years old and wouldn't warranty them. he called midway where he bought them 2-3 years ago and they wouldn't help. he has thousands of bullets and none have ever done this. he's more than a little upset as he bought several hundred of these. now they are garbage   
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad