New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Blaser R8 Article  (Read 211 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Blaser R8 Article
« on: June 16, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Just got my August Issue of Shooting Times and on its cover is the Blaser R8....what a rifle, I own three Blaser R93 (the 93 stands for the year that it was introduced). There have been three series of rifles the R84 (which was introduced in 1984) and the ones I own the R93, and the newest one is the R8 introduced in 2008. So lets see it is 11 years old now? Wonder how old the Article is?

I don't own a Blaser R84, but do own a Sauer 200 which is the what I would call the Junior Partner of Blaser, the R84 is very similar to the Sauer 200. I bought back in 1986 from David's Gun Room in Norcross GA for an astronomically amount of $679. Bought it with it's 30-06 barrel installed. Did not know what back in those days, the only rifles I knew was the Remington's, Winchester's, Marlin's, Ruger's and the big dog was the Weatherby's Mark V.....

Back in the early to mid 90's wanted to add the 280 Rem to the Sauer 200 family but it was not available at the time (they were already making the R93 model), but the 25-06 was, so, I ordered that caliber did not know much about it either, but went ahead and got it.....Currently it has an old Leupold VX3i 3.5-10X mounted on it....Did not know anything about the Blaser "R" family at all, never heard of them and never know they existed, never hear of Sauer except that the made pistols....

But since then I have discovered that Zeiss and Lecia and Swarovski were all the top brands of Europe, and the all had 30mm tubes....the ignorance and inexperience of youth....talk about being stupid....

This Blaser System is not cheap! All but those with deep pockets should be directed away from them, but still, if you want the best, buy Blaser!! The Germans, Austrians, look at every little detail, and I mean every little detail of engineering and design, even with this old retire engineer, I still marvel at the amount that went into the development of this series of rifles, Imagine what the R22 or R24 series will incorporate!!

All in all it is a good article tell you some of the options that you can get on the Blaser Family....you can customize it up the gazoo!! The article goes into the details of the R8 rifle....and all you need to take it apart is one Metric Allen Wrench.....don't lose it because it will cost you a bundle....you can change everything, just not a switch barrel rifle like my Sauer 200 is, and that is all that I am going to do with my Blaser R93 to try and set them up as individual rifles.

If you just won the lottery or inherited a bunch and you are in the market for a world class rifle, this is the one I would recommend out of the box. All of them shoot amazing well.....

My own Blaser R93 family stated out as a 243 standard rifle which cost way back in the early 2000's was right at $3600, I know the original owner of the 243 Win who moved from Michigan to Lebanon TN (Home of Cracker Barrel). He and I talked many times about the Blaser and he told me that he was working at a Gander Mountain Store in MI and that this Doctor walked in and ordered this rifle, plunked down $1800 (50% down payment) and they never seen or saw him since. About a year had passed and they still have the Blaser R93 in 243 back on the shelf waiting for the good Doc to come back in and to pay for the rest and pick up his rifle, but that did not happen. The guy I bought the Blaser R93 from ask his manager about it telling him that he would like to buy it for the remaining $1800. His manger told him to try and contact this good Doc for one more month and if they could not make contract with him, he would see the rifle to this guy. Well it happen that way, they tried to make contract with this Doc, but to no avail so this guy whom I bought it from finally bought the rifle and where he hunts in MI he could not hunt with it he could only use a shotgun or muzzle loader so the 243 Blaser R93 became a safe queen....when the guy finally moved South, he wanted to get him a boat, so he sold it to me for about $2200 and he threw in a couple of boxes of ammo with it along with a case, but no scope...the guy had put a scope on it and got it sighted in before it became a safe queen.....

After I bought it, went ahead and mounted a Zeiss Conquest on it, bore sighted it and headed for the range, but first had to buy a scope base and some rings - Ouch, that cost me about $500...OMG they had to be specific Blaser Base and rings.....but once I got over the initial shock I got the scope mounted and head for the range....treated like rifle as if was new and did a proper barrel break in on it.....the attached target is after the barrel has been break in correctly and this was my first hand load for it.....

Then I bought a 280 Rem barrel for it and then a 300WSM barrel for it....the 280 Rem shoots very well see attached target as well.....the 300WSM is a long story and I will not get into it at this time, but very soon, will send the barrel back to Blaser USA for evaluation....but there is some work to be done on it.....

Today I have two of the three Blaser R93 complete and ready to go as individual rifles. I went back and put the original wooden stock back on the 243 Winchester and got a another stock a few years ago (for $2k) for the 280 Remington!! Had the stock come in viva an FFL and I need to be back ground checked because the stock has the trigger in the stock and not on the rifle barrel itself....the Gun Store guy look at me very strangely when I came into pick up the stock, he said that he had never had a background check on just a stock before.....The 280 Remington has it's own Blaser R93 stock (black fiberglass) and it also has a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 x 44mm Scope on it....and again had to buy a Blaser R93 Scope base and rings for it...

The 300WSM is still a work in progress, have a Sawrovski 30mm tube 3.5-18X x 44mm, with the base, rings, bolt face extra magazines, all I need to get for this is the stock so I am thinking and looking for another stock the last one. Then I can call my collection complete. Will have three complete Blaser R93.....but first will have to send the 300 WSM back to Blaser-USA to have it check out.....Hope to take the 243 and the 280 down with me when I do some hunting in GA this year, Split Toe will be pleased.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Blaser R8 Article
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »
all I can say bo is I hope you never have a fire. you have way too many toys that would be hard to replace. enjoy

actually, I hope none of us ever have to worry about that
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 11:10:12 AM »
Awesome rifles!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 06:58:39 AM »
Yari - Yes that is what my wife says, that I have too many toys....LOL... but I do have three fire rates safes, two of the three bought previous owned....that should save some of them but on the weekends and holidays and now most of the time I kept them open so I can grab a rifle of two, but at the end of the day, or on a hunting trip somewhere or go out of town or away from the house for a while, then they are locked up. All of them are manual combo's and the combo are written down in a secret location on a secret paper and I am the keeper of secrets...LOL...in case of fire....

Split Toe - By the end of the year should have three Blaser R93 that are hunt ready and they all can stand alone...the 300WSM needs to be sent back to BlaserUSA for them to inspect the barrel, it doesn't shoot very well, but all that I'm missing is a $2000 stock - ouch...this has been my dream ever since I discovered them and how well they are made and what works of Engineering they are....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
Under Wild Skies - did a show on TV last weekend (Sat 9-14) and it was dedicated to Blaser R08 (2008) Rifle and other Blaser Products, like shotguns, cases and accessories. Very nice and still a good switch barrel to own if you are going for just one rifle, but remember, they are expensive, very expensive.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad