New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: RMEF Bugle Magazine - Scope Article  (Read 137 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
RMEF Bugle Magazine - Scope Article
« on: May 20, 2019, 10:04:32 PM »
The article is by Wayne Van Zwoll, it questions whether today's scopes are better or are we paying just higher prices....this article is very good, if any of you can get your hands of a copy of the Bugle (May - June 2019 Issue). Wayne lays out the history or scopes from the Civll War Era to today's more pricey scopes.....

I found out that the long tubes were the first scopes for rifles with twist in the barrel, first came the twist in the America's Revolutionary War with Britain, then came the scopes during out dark and long Civil War.....the first scopes were as long as the rifle itself. J Stevens Tool Company began marketing scopes in 1901!! On the other side of the ocean, Zeiss engineers had been working on scope before 1901!! As time went on, in the 1920, both Lyman and Winchester and fame barrel maker H.M. Pope were interesting in J.Stevens rifle scopes...by the 20's, J.Stevens had put out 3X, 4x and 5X scopes all fixed power scopes. While Zeiss had put out 3 fixed and two variables. Around the start of WW2, Zeiss engineers had found out that if you coat the lenses with magnesium fluoride it would be much brighter as it helped gather light....

Then in Leupold and Stevens (yes the same Stevens that was J.Stevens) worked together. Frederick Leupold was a Germany Immigrant and in 1947 put out the first Leupold Scope called the Plainsman. The big break came just two years later when Marcus Leupold borrowed an idea from the Merchant Marine replacing air in the tube with Nitrogen in the scope tube and it did not fog up!! Zeiss was paying attention, and in the early 50's Zeiss offered a 4 piece scope that was filled with Nitrogen for that reason.

It wasn't till the 1960 that Leupold offered a M7 a fixed 3X and 4X scopes, then in 1961 Leupold offered its first variable scope 3-9X and in 1962 Leupold they offered a VX2 and then in 1974 they offered a VX-III....(remember I bought my first VX2 in 1971)

The first pages are a fascinating history of the scope themselves, and the article goes on to talk about Fully multi-coated lenses, high magnification ranges, big objective lenses, large diameter tubes, parallax correction, re-settable W/E dials with zero stop and rotation indicator, trajectory matched dials, more and better reticles, reticule illumination, fast-focus eyepieces, blue tooth compatibility.....

This is a great articule, and I will copy it and save it as a pdf file....but it education you on the above mention subjects....

For the Christensen Arms Rigdeline, I bought a Leupold VX5HD 3-15X with 44mm after considering Vortex, Nikon, Nightforce, Bushnell and Swarovski, but in the end I got another Leupold, my 40th one. My budget was a $1000 for the scope.....so I will have over $3K in the rifle when it is all said and done....

From the Civil War to the Remington 2020 to beyond (and they are always working on something) Optics are getting better and better and more expensive....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: RMEF Bugle Magazine - Scope Article
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:45:05 AM »
The high end is getting more expensive but also more capable.  I would argue though that $150 today will buy you a much better scope than that same money would have 20-30 years ago.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
bo- did you give up on Tract?

mad- i agree 100%. $150-200 gets you a lot clearer scope than 10 years ago
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »
Guys - I agree with yawl 110%, I have many scopes that cost under $150 that work wonderful today...like the Nikon's Buckmasters and Prostaff , many Tasco's that cost under $100....have a couple of Leupold that cost under $150 and my first Leupold was a mere $80 but that was back in 1971....so long ago....optic clarity and quality as come right along the manufacturing techniques with today's CNC machineing

I did not give up on TRAC optics, they make great stuff, like binoculars, have a pair of their Toric 8x42....a bit heavy but that what you get with good optics....and have a rimfire scope as well, given up on TRAC no not really, it just that there is so many really good manufacturers out there and all of the compete for our dollars!! We are the winners for sure.....

But the Way, found a good historical article called "Retro Optics for Fun" in the July Issue of Shooting Times. It is a good article but not as detail as the one in RMEF Bugle Magazine...but it's pack with good historical info for a good read, heck for 2500 words, it's worth it....

I have (just got through counting them) 9 scopes that are not mounted had to dig the Sig Sauer out for the 260 Rem Savage-Shilen that I bought at the first of the year and finally mounted it on the 260, now all I got to do is to true up the scope, make sure the cant level is right, and torque down the screws on the Warne Rings that I like using....matter of fact the Sig Sauer Scope Cost me about $200 and it is very high quality considering  the price!!...

See a couple of photos I took this morning after mounting the scope and getting the eye relief set for this rifle..much left to do with it, but you will get a chance to see the new gun room layout with all the chrome wire racks, and they are still two more headed my way...should be here in a few hours.....

Enjoy.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
Bo - speaking of retro optics - that Remington 700 that my bro in law just bought ('69 vintage) has a really interesting scope & mount combo on it, the likes of which I don't recall seeing before.  It's a Bausch & Lomb adjustable mount, carrying a 4X fixed power scope that does not have any internal adjustment at all.  According to BIL, it actually shoots quite well.  He took three shots with it last weekend using a box of random factory ammo and had them in a 3" circle at 200 yds from a marginal rest.  He's supposed to be getting the handload recipe the previous owner had worked up - suspect he'll be able to tighten that inside of MOA with a good load and a good rest.

Here's a photo of the mount that I found on the web (not his 700)

and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 10:43:07 PM »
Mad - That is interesting, about 10 years ago, this guy I use to hunt with (he dropped out of our club a few years back) had an original Redfield Wide-field that he had mounted on his old Browning 06. the funny part about it, he had had it after he came back from Vietnam War and used it for well over 40 years, with a few shots ot make sure the scope was still on. He used it until he dropped the rifle out of the tree on an evening hunt....

we all said he could borrow one of our extra rifles (I have 4 spare rifles) he could use, but he called his wife and she brought his other rifle to the club and never shot it, but the next morning, he use a Ruger Ranch rifle in 223 and shot a 10 pointer he fired 3 shot and hit the deer 3 times....he told us later that the company that repairs scope wanted more that the scope was work, he said thanks but not thanks....

I have many old Tasco scope from the 60's and 70's that work great 40 years later!!!!   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 06:50:06 PM »
Yep, scopes improve over time. The glass, coatings, gas seals etc. improved over the years.

Although Jack Hinson needed no scope during the civil war. I read a book about him Jack Hinsonís One-Man War

Or check out this video

https://youtu.be/8RYgOCCwWC8

Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
Flint - Thanks for the heads up on Jack Hinson book....should be an interesting read....as the older I get, the more of a Historian I become and becoming...anybody else feels the same way?
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 10:40:42 PM »
For sure, although the book better have some pictures cause my attention span is shrinking with age too.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad