New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Christensen Arms Ridgeline  (Read 2182 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »
Yari - Yes this is it....a Leupold that was mounted on a 7mm-08 Remington Varmint 700. I was installing a drop box magazine magpul kit....when I work on a rifle even though it has been years since I touch this rifle to do the kind of work that I wanted to....and remember that I installed a Shilen Trigger and adjust it down to 2.75 lbs pull way back in the 90's...and while I was installed the Magpul Kit in it, noticed that the Leupold scope was sort of hard to turn so I left it on 4X of the 4-12X.....the llst time I use this Remington Varmint 700 in 7mm-08, I shot 5 does in GA with it...4 out of 5 dropped in their tracks and did a head shot on one of them...real messy....

So Yes this is the scope, I knew they would fix it free...so now it will find a newer home on the Christensen Arm BA Tactical......

Update: 6-23-2020 - Since this post have had a chance to look this serial number of the scope and it turns out not to be made in 1993, but made in 2006...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:52:29 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2020, 09:52:20 AM »
Got in late yesterday a Christensen Arm B14, BA Tactical, in what else, a 308....I must start off with saying "where is the rest of it?". It is a very short 16" carbon fiber barrel ...took it out of the box last night and left it there....and just wondered looking at it.....will this be my last 308? Nobody knows....but it is short and light weight...I started my testing this rifle early this morning..around 6 AM...Went ahead and installed the comb height spacer bar on it to add to the height of it....also there are 5 different quick connectors on it. These are the holes that the sling goes into....

I do remember the first time I saw the quick disconnects. They were on my Sauer 200 back in the mid-80's...wow, had no idea how popular they would become today..but back then had to get a new sling for it and a extra magazine....today they are a standard issue on the Bergara's and Christensen Arm's rifles and I am sure they are standard on many more rifles....but just a few months ago had to get another sling dedicated for the quick connectors...so I think I have 2 or 3 slings set up for these type connectors.

I also check on the new Christensen Arms B14 was the trigger pull....the average came back as shown in the picture. A 3 lb 12.9 ounces trigger pull, it is a bit to heavy for me and will adjust on it this afternoon....am waiting on the Tract Toric 2-10X scope before doing any finalizing....the barrel has 10 twist in it and it is short, very short...and the whole gun is well under 7 lbs empty....

Second post will talk about other aspects of the rifle....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »
Part 2 of 2 - The box magazine was a plus when it arrived. thought that it was going to be a AICS Metal Magazine like the Cooper M2012 that I have and have a couple of extra magazine for it....but, the box magazine was one that I already had many more...it was the Magpul P5 Magazine...it is a plastic or polymer magazine that fits many more rifle that I have including the Bergara 308 and the 3 Magpul Kits I installed on the 308, 7mm-08 and the 243 Varmint Rifles...so it turned out to be a plus.....

As I said before have installed an addtional extension of the comb height...it also came with the stock extension see photos along with the hardware to mount it....so that is also a plus....

The bottom of the rifle has a quick disconnect connection built into it..see photo....they put them on all sides of this rifle, no matter if you are left handed or right, or in this case have a bottom connection of it...it is all good....the stock is built to snag limbs with...see photo...LOL...don't know why they did it this way....

Now all I have to do is to mount the Tract Toric scope that will be here sometimes on Friday so this week trip to the range will not include this rifle, have a few Leupold I could mount on it but am willing to wait for the final scope to arrive......have 10 150 gn prohunter Sierra 2130 loaded up to see what it will do at 50 then 100 yards in about a week or so...wish me well.....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2020, 03:24:53 PM »
Had a chance today to tweak all the Christensen Arm Rifles  and their triggers as well as the Bergara rifles.....very easy to do....the latest on I went down to 2.75 lbs for the trigger pull weight and adjust the other Christensen Arms in 6.5 PRC trigger down to 2.75 lbs as well....the Bergara were all adjusted from 3.5 lbs pull to 2.75 to 3.0 pulls....

I have 3 shot, 5 shot (a bunch of them) and even a couple of 10 shot mags that will fit the Christensen Arms.....

That is the latest....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 05:11:15 PM »
it is tiny. looks like an old cork gun.

have fun
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »
Yari - Yes it does!! A nickname from the wife says it looks smaller than Stumpy....I will call it Stumpy 2 as well.....One thing I forgot to mention is that the it has no front swivel, the old standard that we normally use...but it does have a short picatinny rail on the bottom front....so I went ahead and purchased from MidwayUSA two swivels....one a standard swivel and the other one another quick connector (the round one) and will installed them both when they arrived this Friday and Monday....why?? I don't know why they are shipping separate, same order....did I mention that the trigger are from TriggerTech on both Christensen Arms Rifles, it is simply and effective...I like the way you adjust them by using a very small Allen wrench to make the adjustments...it is a firm click stop adjustment similar to a scope adjustments, same feels....

Also waiting on the Tract Toric 1" tube scope that will arrive this Friday.....and then bore site it.....to bore site it I have found that if you bore site it without the muzzle brake on then it is more accurate than if you install the muzzle brake first then try to bore site it....think they need to make longer arbors for the bore siters...

Thanks Yari for your feedback and comments....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »
which toric did you get? BDC reticle?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2020, 02:31:35 PM »
Bo you are going to need some FAST  ##$%#1113 burning power or you are going to have lots of flames shooting out the end of the barrel  ()*$%RT

and another good looking 308  ##$%#11
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2020, 05:36:14 PM »
Congrats on the new addition Bo....imagine my shock to find out it was a 308!  @--0--0105 Enjoy the range...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2020, 05:39:28 AM »
Here it is with the Tract Toric 2-10X x 42mm with its 1" tube, mounted on the CA BA Tactical....man is it short or what, may too short?? The scope arrived a day early so it got here late on 7-9-2020....we were at Sam's when it was delivered, signature required, so we had to stop by the post office to pick it up....

Had three sets of 1" rings to choose from....so I chose the low steel rings....the scope has a long eye relief, always start out the further away the works for me. Need to check the torque one more time before bore siting it...check the trigger and it broke at 2.78 lbs so that is good....and have loaded up 10 rounds of 150 gn Sierra Prohunter up to start the process of getting it on paper at 100 yard and check it's accuracy at 200 yard to see how much the bullet drops at 200 yards....

Here are a couple of pictures with the Tract Toric mounted on the rifle....enjoy...Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2020, 01:42:38 PM »
 ##$%#15  but it looks packed there all the deer heads
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »
Dave - Thanks for the comments, the White Tail deer heads or the bottom of them is one of three walls and I will call the Gun Room sometimes the Whitetail Room...with the rest of the critters located not in the Whitetail room...they are located in the Downstairs Den, behind the bar, on the fireplace and in the landing area....and in the garage both Dad's and My first White Tails are located there....along with a couple of critters and 5X5 Elk and the Old Wart Hog....LOL....

But with the innovation of the Carbon Fiber Barrels such as Christensen Arms Rifles (the ones with the Carbon Fiber Barrels and the stocks with their drop box magazines and the multi quick connectors for a sling and front bi-pod is great modifications that have hit the market...I have several old all steel receivers and barrels from the 90's and a bunch of wooden stocks from the 70's and 80's....so I think with the new wave of composite (carbon fiber stocks and carbon fiber wrapped barrel, and with the Burris Eliminator and the Sig Sauer BDX Exchange and the every increasing manufacturers offering ranging binoculars...and the vintage Remington 2020 siting system....the future looks bright for the younger hunter....wow...

One thing lacking is getting more and more youth and younger hunters involved. Maybe this is not the place for such discussion, not just for the hunting but as far as getting them involved with the hunt lease/camp..with out the new hunters coming into the market how long will the hunting be around....after you loose you hunting do you loose the second amendment??....not in my lifetime....

But Dave thanks for your feedback...in the last 10 or so years, have let a bunch of younger bucks walk....and the does as well...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2020, 10:38:18 AM »
yep when the room gets full it is to let them walk     --099-780
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2020, 06:50:49 AM »
Absolutely am full and out of space, to cram another 308 into the mix...but I think I can find some room, somewhere for another 308....and a little sneak peek into my world, am eyeing another used Cooper 308....but that is for another time and another post...what I do before taking the Christensen Arms to the range (and I do this to all of the rifles) is to pick them up and throw it up to my shoulder and see if the rifle fits me and to see if the target i pick out come into focus with the scope and to see if I have the eye relief right and check some other things out....

I have done this exercise many times with the new CA 308...and at 2X (the scope is a 2-10X power) you can see the end of the 16.125" barrel in the scope...you have to set the scope somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0X to get the barrel out of the site picture....the trigger, you must pull it every day to get the feel of the trigger....and after I had thrown up the rifle to my shoulder several times, had to install the comb height adjustment in there (to make it higher) but so far so good, love the shortness of the barrel between shorty 1 and short 2 it would be a close race....it sure seems like the Remington LTR with its 20" barrel seems like a big rifle with a long barrel...LOL...now if the CA will shoot as good as the FN Patrol does with its 16 inch barrel...it was amazing that shoots 5, 6 and 7 out of it shot cloverleaf at 100 yards....

Only time will tell, am thinking about the range next week? but again it is going to be a hot one near 100 F....it is ridiculous to shoot at that temperature, mirage is a factor even at 100 yards!! so we will see what happens.... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2020, 08:28:17 AM »
Deerhead - I have probably told you this story more than once, but I will tell it again for those who have not heard it yet....

I was at Fort Knox, KY shooting at 100 yard back in the late 90's....had my 243 Ruger M77 International (it has a 18.5" barrel) and I was trying to find the right load for it...with this in mind, was trying 3031, RL12, H110 and H380 all fast burning powders.....I was trying to get it down under 2 MOA...I was there with one other guy, who looked like a young Robert Redford....he wondered down and started a conversation with me "what are you shooting" I told him that I was the story of all the powders I had used in my quest for the right load....he was truly interested in the little Ruger...he told me that he has a 243 with him now and told me to shoot three rounds of his loads and then afterwards he would tell me the load....I said sure....he promptly went down and retrieve the three rounds....I had set 4 targets up at a measure 100 yards....so I shot them and after the second shot which touched the first shot...it got my attention...I shot the third shot and sure enough the third shot touch the first two shot, a Cloverleaf!! I though this is a great load, it turn out to be a IMR-4831 of all powders I would not have chosen that powder....but he told me that it was not in any of the reloading manuals...I check the brass for signs of high pressure but there was none...he had told me the load, which today I used it for all my 243 Win.....they all have improved a lot as far as accuracy goes!!! so now I use the Lapua Brass, 42 to 43.5 grains of IMR-4831 with the CCI-BR2 primers and seating depth is different from the different rifles....

And one more thing to add he, the Robert Redford look alike, asked me if I had every pull a 2 ounce trigger before? I told him no I have not, he said come with me....I went down to where he as at a dry fired the rifle (it was a 6mm PPC) and he said that the last thing he does is to load his rifle, he sights it in and get everything ready and then he put the live round in and he laugh when told me that if you think about sending it down range, it has already gone, keep your finger out of the trigger guard area....and with that I put my trigger finger in and just touched the trigger...and it went off...wow, you could never use it for hunting that is for sure....boy was it light, but he was there practicing for an up coming shoot...he was a paper puncher, a target shooter....that explains a lot....

Enjoy...Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad