New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Christensen Arms Ridgeline  (Read 740 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 09:24:38 PM »
Bo  my 6.5x284 and your 6.5 prc are very similar as far as velocity. I highly recommend the bonded bullets in this cartridge if you want your bullet to exit deer size game. The 143 gr ELDX bullet was a big disappointment on a 120 pound doe last fall. I'm going to try the 130 gr Scirrocco 2 this summer. Hopefully my 7.5 twist isn't to fast for it.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 06:07:30 AM »
Not - Yea I agree, purchased a couple of boxes of the Hornady 143 Gn ELD-X just for the brass so I can start reloading my own.....the 143 is good ammo to get it on paper but it isn't good enough for me for hunting, got to shoot a quarter of smaller before it leave the house for the woods.....

The 127 Gn Barnes TTXS worked out great for the 260 Rem and think it will be my standard load now for the Savage-Shilen 260....but you are right a long range bonded bullet would work best for the 6.5 PRC...Most rifles, and I said most rifle, but not all, if it a long range caliber will preform better if you use a bonded bullet....

Did write CA an email telling them that I might be having some extraction problem but if it continues and it isn't the brass, and who knows if it is the brass...I am sure Hornady is working OT to produce the 30 PRC and the 6.5 PRC ammo ....to give them a heads up. I included my Serial Number in the email....have not heard back from them yet....

Was going to the range yesterday but the weather and my stomach was in sink yesterday...so I will put it off till tomorrow before heading to the range....will take 4 long range rifles with me...they are the Nosler Liberty in the 26 Nosler, the Christensen Arm 6.5 PRC and the 7mm STW Custom and the Savage-Shilen 260 again.....all but the 7mm STW custom is on paper but will try to figure out what it likes.....

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:12:51 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »
Bo enjoying the discussion on your new CA 6.5.  Hope nothing is wrong with the extractor.  But if there is I am sure CA will take care of the problem.  Iíll toss in my personal favorite, the Nosler Accubond.  I have been shooting this in 308 and 270 WSM.  My last couple of deer have been with the 270wsm Accubond and they have been DRT.  You know the last buck was not little guy. What impresses the most is the energy/trauma released into the deer.  The Accubond is available in 130gn and 140gn for the 6.5.
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 11:17:06 AM »
The Accubond is a heck of a bullet for sure, basically built off the legendary Partition with a ballistic tip added. It's hard to find anyone with a complaint on the terminal performance.  Was looking into those just recently for my bro-in law, as I need to help him get a load worked up for his "new" 7mm Mag Remington 700 that he just acquired (late 60's vintage) - I think he's finally ready to sign up for an elk hunt with me.  I figure the sooner I get him shooting cloverleafs the sooner we go!

In reading up on the Accubond, I came across this little history lesson on Nosler - found it interesting that the Partition has been around since the 40's!

https://www.nosler.com/nosler-story
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 06:42:38 AM »
Guys - I love the Nosler Accubonds, they are great bullets....

Deerhead - I too the 130 and 140 gn especially when it comes to White Tails!! You cannot beat it....Mine and your 270 WSM loves the 140 gn Accubonds, while 2 of my 270 Wins love the 130 gn (Sierra GK and Norlser BT) have not tried the 130 gn Accubonds. And the other 2 love the 140 gn and have use both the Nolser BT and Partition.....my 270 Weatherby in the Ruger #1 loves the 140 BT only it will not shoot the 140 gn Accubond or any 130 gn bullets, so go figure....I too like the 140 gn weight bullet in any bullet.

Will check this morning to see if I have any 130 gn 6.5 Accubonds......if not, Larry will be getting an order today...LOL...

Mad - Thanks for the link to the Nosler story.....the 7mm family has the highest BC of any family of bullets....in my 7mm-08 Rem, have 3 of them my first one is my beloved Rem 700 Varmint it loves the 139 or the 140 gn bullets, have settled on the 140 gn Accubonds as my standard round for it...while the Steyr M96 ProHunter will not shoot the 139, 140 or even the 150 gn pills it does love the 120 gn bullets and I use the 120 gn Accubond in it as my standard round....and then there is the 7mm-08 Wayne (bought it from him a few weeks before he died from Cancer). Wayne told me that he bought it in 1981 new (first year that Remington made it a standard production rifle) it was a 700 ADL and he had put a fiberglass stock on it a few years later...I have been taking to the range once or twice a year and still trying to experiment with the loads....think it is a stock problem more than a load problem. but currently it shoots a 2 to 3 inch group at 100 yards, not good enough to take to the woods with me....so will continue to work on that rifle....

I have had many conversations with the folks at Nosler Tech Support and its what they don't say that gets you to thinking but every once in a while they will let something slip out...like the story about the Ballistic Tips and Partitions....they told me on several conversations that they get rush to production the Ballistic Tip and then it was to hard of compound, then they soften it up, then more feedback and they are mixing and remixing their compounds of their bullets all the time until they get it right...so it took them about 5 years of feedback to get the right compound mix of their Ballistic Tips bullets.....also about their partition, I have been using them for sooooo many years, I too love them, but they too have change them, I still have some of their Moly-Bullets in their Partitions, and have Partitions long before that, how the ones in the Yellow box, have a couple of them still around. The first Elk Load I loaded up back in the 80's!! but today I think and this comment is base on the groups I shoot using them, that they have gotten more accurate over the years by changing the outer shell and the double core of the bullets.

I think your competition are your first customers, and then to the lab it goes...When Barnes came out with their Triple Shock bullets back in the 80's as well, they were very accurate out of the box and I feel like Nosler bought some of the Triple Shock Bullets and starting their new silent re-design of the Partitions, to where it is today, a great and accurate bullet that the Accubond may take it place. I am sure they the folks at Nosler will make chemical changes to their white tip to make it withstand the heat like the Hornady ELD-X bullets tip does....

I like the Barnes TTSX bullets too, but like Nosler, they went out and purchased a couple of boxes of ELD-X bullets and they went into the lab with them to redesign their TTSX bullets....probably a lot more manufacturers have the ELD-X tips in the lab working on them.....

John Nosler would have been proud of his bullets and the many employees with the same vision that he had.....

Just check - Do not have any 130 gn 6.5 bullets in the Accubond, but do have the 127, 129, 140 and 143 gn bullets. Since the 127 gn did so well on the 260 Rem will load up some 129 gn Accubonds (have 200 of them still in an up open box!!)

Am planning on going to the range this morning but it will an 8 hour event for me....to load up the rifles, to check the air in the tires and oil in the truck, then load up the truck with all the gear that I need to shoot today, take the 30 minute drive there and back, do the 4 hours shooting and then come home and unload the truck, clean the rifles make any adjustments to the scopes and then scan in the targets and then come on here and post the range results and comments....so as you can see, I do this every time I go to the range....just for you guys....yea right....LOL....I LOVE IT!!!! --09--0

Bo 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »
Yeah Bo, the competitive scenario you described is what all of us in the product development world do.  Doesn't matter if you are on top of the market or just trying to enter it, if you're not aware of what your competitors are doing and growing your own knowledge base as a result, you won't be around for long.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2019, 09:09:49 AM »
Mad - Friday was range day for me and took the Christensen Arm 6.5 PRC out to the range, I have posted the target I shot at 100 yards yesterday under Range Results 6-21-2019 post....

But I am convinced that the factory 143 is not the right load for this rifle. I need to load up my own and will use the factory loads all 40 rounds up before loading up my own, not sure what I will load up now but will check the twist rate to make sure, on the barrel it states 8" twist...assuming it is RH twist.....will start with the max and work my way down.....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 07:57:14 PM »
Yeah Bo I saw your summary of yesterday's outing.  The engineer in me thinks it ought to be a relatively straightforward effort to get a rifle shooting well, but as you guys have beaten into my head here over the years, each one is a unique personality to sort out.  You've been through this drill dozens of times with your others, I'm sure you will be posting pictures with dimes on them soon.
 @--0--0133
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 03:49:22 AM »
Mad - Thanks for the post, Yes as a retired engineer, I thought the same way as you did, until I started reloading and then it took me a few years to get my feet wet and for me to change my thoughts on reloading and the loads themselves. For me, my first real deer rifle out of school and the very first thing I bought was a 270 Win in the Winchester Model 70A, equal to the Remington ADL....same action rifle but, cheap stock....and thought that the 130 gn was the Sweet Spot of the 270 line, after all, Jack O Conner wrote a lot about the caliber and love it, it would take down any animal in North America, and at the time, I thought the one rifle that I have for any game I went after....yea, right, see what happen there....LOL....attached is a 1973 photo taken of a deer hunting trip with Dad in GA and it was Nov 1973 cause I got the film developed in January of 74....as you can tell I was shooting up the 130 gn bronze points ammo and thought it was a pretty good group, that was the first year the Leupold 2-7X x 33mm scope was on the Winchester!

At that time you could buy the 270 Winchester in 100 gn for coyotes and deer with the 150 gn for larger size mule deer, elk, bear and moose! What does a 22 year old know anyway....but I started reloading the 130 gn exclusively in the 270....the second rifle I got was a varmint barrel 308 and bought me a box of factory 165 Federal Premiums after shooting an 1 inch group with them and then hand load some Sierra 165 gn GK and shot a 3/4" group at 100 yards for 5 shots!! I was shock and pleasantly surprised but the wheels started turning in the old ticker!! Hum, I thought, but then I was 24 by then and my first Nukie was in Florida. Playing Golf, Tennis and chasing women, came long before reloading back then...so I ended up reloading about every other year and came home every year to hunt with Dad and family (Split Toe and his dad) no matter where I was at. Dad kept my old rifles all 7 of them (one 22, one 410, one 303, one 7x57, one 12 gauge, one 270 and one 308) in a closet setting on the floor with the barrels up behind his old work clothes.....but he kept the ammo with his 30-30 and 30-06 ammo.

But then, I came back home for a couple of years got married and settled down (bought my first of many houses in Florida and bare land lots around it, bought 5 extra lots at 2.5K each, today they would be worth 250K each, but I sold them for 7.5K to 12K each and made a whopping 20K from the house in 1977 that I bought in 74)....But that is days gone by, but back then in the Japanese style house in Lilburn, GA I bought closer to where Mom and Dad lives (within 6 miles) and set up my reloading bench in the basement which was not finished yet....but sold it after I gotten married to my ex. Remember Jimmy Carter was President then and the interest rates was going through the roof. I was paying a whopping 10.5% on my house where she had a 7.5% Assumable mortgage on hers....then we started moving to Norcross,GA and we moved 3 times in 4 years, each time setting up the old reloading bench and breaking it down. The old 3/4" plywood that I use for it, believe it or not, I still have!! yep, and I reloaded thousands of rounds on it!! it sort of brings tears to my eyes....but it still out in the external garage....

I tell folk that if for example you go into the store for ammo and you don't have or forgotten your ammo for your 30-06, and you have sighted you rifle in using the 165 gn ammo and they store that you visited (and all the stores you stopped at on the way to your hunting club) doesn't have you 165 gn ammo and you have the choice of the 150 or 180 gn ammo, which one do you pick up? I have told people this that I always go with the heavier bullet, it tends to be more accurate...that is how it has worked out for me, I still have some very old factory ammo, for both the 270 and 06, heck was checking the other day and still have some old 7x57 and 303 ammo in boxes!!! Have some old 7x57 ammo with the German WW2 Logo stamped on the bottom!! that got toe be in the late 30's or early 40's ammo!! Eeks!!

But every rifle is different you can count on that! I have always said that is you took two production rifles that came off the line at the same time that they would shoot differently...maybe a 1/10 of a grain of powder may make the difference but they may like different bullets, that is why I also say let the rifle tell you what it likes. No matter whose rifle it is....

When reloading, everything matters, from the seating depth, to head spacing, to number of times the brass was reloaded, the pressure, the primer, the type and amount of powder and of course the bullet make a huge difference. Today we have so many choices, back in the 70's I only knew of Sierra, Nosler and Speer bullets did not know much back then either!! LOL....I have a Cooper 280 Ackley that doesn't shoot the 140 very good, but there is hope in the 150 gn, and then there is the 160 gn?? Have been working on that rifle, caliber and will continue to do so for the next few years.....

Have said that, I do look at the Cooper Targets they shipped with each Cooper rifle and check them out and reload that bullet.....even if I buy the Cooper used (which half of mine are) I will go online and check out the targets and if I lucky they will tell me the type, but not the amount of powder, to use and then I do my research from there....

As I have said don't feel like the 143 gn is the right bullet for my 6.5 PRC, I know most folks like it and Hornady has done their research on the ammo and came up with a ammo that will shoot very good in most rifles, but not for Bose rifles, If the good rifles don't shoot a 1/2 inch group they don't go to the woods with me....and the only way for me to know what the right load is to go to the range every week and test new loads, but will use the 20 rounds I do have as break in loads for the PRC....but did find some brass (Hornady) that Midway had on sale for a box of 20 pieces for about 8 bucks, not Lapua or Norma that I prefer but still it is a start. Have the Redding Dies and the shell holder and the primers for it....yes I still do reload one shell at a time...Today, you won't find more than 10 rounds loaded up for any rifle that I own...LOL...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:52:46 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad