New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Christensen Arms Ridgeline  (Read 741 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
Yes, I agree that the 6.5 PRC does not have the punch that a 338 LM or a 50 cal does...would like to hear Dutch's thoughts as well.....the first PRC on the market was the 30 Caliber and the 6.5 show up late last year and now the 300 PRC is being marketed....

It is base on the 375 Ruger case (.532 diameter case) neck down and shorten a bit for Short Action (not really short action). I know that a Rem Short Action Picatinny rail mounted on the CA just fine.....I did order a box of the 143 gn ELD-X bullet and some extra brass, just to see what this thing will do at the range, I do this for almost all my AR style rifles and the 6.5 CM as well....one box only and the rest empty and new brass for reloading......

Have my work cut out for me this week and when I finally get to go to the range.....

Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 08:10:28 PM »
    Bo I have a Christiansen Arms Carbon Classic and I love it. It shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards  and I have shot 8 inch groups at 1000 yards using hunting bullets, Not target bullets. The best thing about the rifle is how it handles and carries when hunting and the action is really smooth. I don't have any experience with the 6.5 PRC but I have been playing a little with a 6.5x284 Norma with a 7.5 twist and Krieger barrel. I've shot the Sierra 150 gr and the ELDX 143 gr in it and both are very accurate but are to soft in my opinion for the type of hunting I do with the rifle now. I bought some 130 gr Scirrocco 2's to test but haven't got to it yet. The Swift Scirroccos are bonded so should penetrate a deer easily.     The Sierra 150 grs are very accurate and I've shot them to 1450 yards and hope to get them to 1 mile this summer but they are a target bullet so I won't use them for hunting.    If you want to shoot a long ways, try them.    What is the twist of your barrel?      Enjoy the 6.5 and keep us informed.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
Notsams - Thanks a million for the info, glad to see someone else has it....the advertised twist rate is 8", have not measure it myself which I will do today and let you guys know....you never mention what caliber you have??

I have ordered a box of 143's factory hunting loads just to break this rifle in and see how it shoots and have ordered a bunch of new Hornady Brass (about 60 pieces of new brass)...my shooting buddy Billy is real interested in it as well... like you I will only shoot hunting rounds in it, something like the Nosler Accubonds or the Barnes TTSX bullets...no Sierra Match Kings! but will try the Game Kings in it....I already have plenty of 6.5 bullets on hand, with the 6.5 CM and the 6.5 Grendel and the 26 Nosler....

I will relate a funny story to you guys, when I bought my 26 Nosler Liberty the guy at the shop where I paid viva CC told me that most of his guys on his range was shooting the Christensen Arm Mesa and the Ridgeline and they too were getting about a 1/2 groups with their hand loads and they were selling the Christensen Arms Mesa as fast as they get them...the 26 Nosler Liberty is a slow seller...that was about a year ago that I bought the 2 Nosler in their Liberty Model.....

You mention a 1000 and 1450 yards in your post, don't feel like I would get a shot over 80 yards where I hunt at...LOL....This will not be a safe queen. I have McWhorters, Custom Coopers and Blaser R93 that I take to the woods with me just like any other rifle I have......so as soon as I get the new Leupold scope in and get it mounted, then the two rifles (the 260 Rem Savage-Shilen and the 6.5 PRC Christensen Arms will be head to the range probably within a week or two...will post the range results for both rifles..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
    Bo   my Christiansen Arms is a 7mm Rem mag. I shoot a 160 gr Nosler Accubond at about 2950 fps. It is very effective on deer and Elk. The accubond bullets are the key. I was going to try the 142 gr Accubond long range in my 6.5x284 but in the last year I have not found a box to buy. I bought the sciroccos because they are available and bonded. The bonding helps hold them together at close range when velocities are still high.          The Christiansen Arms rifles are not safe queens, they are meant to be out hunting.  I'm interested in you opinions on the rifle and cartridge so keep me Informed.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 07:08:25 PM »
Was checking out the twist rate today and took the bolt apart, and adjusted the trigger, clean out the barrel today as well.....the twist rate is dead on 8" twist if anything it is 8.025 twist but maybe it was me, so I am going with 8 twist....the bolt, took it apart and cleaned it, pulled the stock away from the action and clean the action. The trigger was set at not 3.0 lbs as the owners manual states but was 3 lbs 9 to 12 ounces, so it is not set at 2.75 to 2.85 lbs (pulled it 4 times). Rechecked the Picatinny rail to torque value again at 55 inch pounds put some lock-tite a couple of days ago...and then mounted the Burris extreme medium height rings on it....just waiting on the Leupold (UPS left a note on the door late this afternoon - signature required) it can wait till tomorrow....tomorrow this time it will be mounted, bore sited and ready for the range.....

Put it all back together and put a tag on it stating "Bore Sited Only" and now it is ready for the range......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
I cannot believe how light the rifle is even with the Leupold VX5 scope....it will be easy to carry it to the woods with me this year....but the scope I mounted on the Christensen Arms (CA) is a very nice scope..Wow, have not taken it to the range but the scope has all the bells and whistles on it......but it is a nice set up with the CA rifle and the Leupold....along with the Leupold Picatinny base and the Burris Exteme Rings.....we will see how it shoots next week......

The CA is a very nice rifle and the Leupold is very nice Scope....good setup!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »
sounds like a nice rig. enjoy

let us know how it shoots
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »
Will post the results of the 6.5 PRC in the CA as soon as I can get to the range, am excited about shooting it.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 06:37:46 PM »
   Bo my CA rifle weighs about 8.5 lbs with the 4.5-14 Leupold, a rubber sling and 9 rounds of ammo. It is light but balanced very well. The Timney trigger was set at 2.5 lbs so I left it alone. The muzzle break is Titanium and is very effective. My "light" 7mm Mag recoils like my .243 varmint rifle.       I'm interested in the velocities you get with your 6.5 PRC.         On a side note. 2 winters ago I carried my 7mm mag as a long range Coyote rifle because I have a Custom turret for it. On a cold morning a Coyote ran out to the middle of a field till it felt safe. 1 shot at 735 yards dropped him in his tracks. A local farmer happened to be after the same Coyote and saw me shoot it. He was very interested in my Christensen Arms rifle and asked a lot of questions about it.       Enjoy the rifle.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 06:20:29 PM »
Not - Wow 735 yards that is some shot on a small coyote!! Will get my CDS for my Leupold after I start clocking it and so i can let Leupold know it's velocity but first got to get it on paper and hand load so 143 bullets for myself. Will let you know how it shoots, taking it to the range tomorrow with me......

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »
Took the Christensen Arms (CA) to the range this past week, and had a chance to shoot it again and this time it was too windy (for 200 yds) so I stuck with 50 yards and 100 target. This rifle is very light weight and I could see myself carrying it for many years to come, just got to find the right load.

Will be taking to the range every week for the rest of the summer months until I can get up enough brass to reload myself. The 143 gn Factory Hornady load is not the right load for this rifle, can tell that now, but will continue to shoot the 143 gns, until I can reach enough brass to work up my own load....will keep everyone posted....

NotSams - My Timney Trigger on mine was set at 3.5 lbs when I got it, so I am in the process of lightening it up a big, currently it stands at 3.0 lbs, will make it about 2.75 lbs this week and see if the groups tighten up a bit....but so far so good, have some ejection problems with it...I have fired 10 rounds through it and have to get the cleaning rod out and punch out 2 of 10 of the spent brass.....so I am keeping my eye on it....still in the barrel break in phase of this rifle....

Flint is right it is fairly new and is an extreme long range round....with some 200 fps faster than the 6.5 Creedmoor round and the Ridgeline has a 24" barrel on it so it should be a good flat long range performer, just will shoot the Hornady brass up until I get enough.....

Love the 3-15X Leupold VX5-HD Scope with 30mm tube, BDC and Firedot reticule......use the 3X for 50 yard and used the 7.5 for 100 yard targets...it does have the Leupold Picatinny rail scope and the Burris Extreme Rings (6 screws)....and my standard cant level is from Vortex....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »
i'm surprised you aren't more worried about the problem ejecting spent shells. that would be my #1 priority at the early stages
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 10:57:07 PM »
Yari - Yes, I am worried about it, and will not hesitate if I get one or two more hang-ups to send it back to the factory, I want to make sure it is not the brass. While I was adjusting the trigger down to 2.5 to 2.7 lbs pull, I took the bolt out and looked at it with a 60X microscope eyepiece up close and it did look fine the brass could be the problem but it could be the extractor too, not ruling out anything at this point.....believe me, I have plenty of others rifles and calibers that I can take with me to the woods.....

Notsams - have you have any extractor problems ejecting spent brass??

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »
Bo   no I have had no problems of any kind with my Christiansen Arms rifle. I think it has a M16 "type" extractor. It should be very reliable. I would contact Christiansen Arms and ask if they have been having extraction problems with any rifles. Good luck and keep me informed.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 06:33:26 PM »
Notsams - That is a very good idea and will keep you in the loop as well....thanks for the suggestion....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad