New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Christensen Arms Ridgeline  (Read 2187 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Christensen Arms Ridgeline
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »
I was meeting an old friend at a Cracker Barrel yesterday morning for Breakfast and after eating we went up to his favorite Pawn Shop....this is not ordinary Pawn Shop, they are have pawn and half firearms store....half the store is new and use firearms store.....so they have a Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC....the MSRP on it was $1999.00 and got it for $1749.00. With all the darn TN sales tax (almost 10%) plus background check out the door price cost me $1922.....

Does anybody own one of these rifles?? How good are they...have been reading them and when I got my 26 Nosler, got a Nosler Liberty rifle, instead of the Christensen Arm Mesa Line. The Nosler Liberty is almost as good as my Nosler TGR in 300 WSM that shoots under one inch groups at 200 yards....yea, under 1/2 MOA....but I did work with it because I took the rifle on Safari in South Africa.

The 6.5 PRC is a Hornady design and is about 200 fps faster than the 6.5 CM which I have that caliber in a Savage 10 BA Stealth....it is a shooter as well.....so as I am tweaking the gun room after the flood, have another new rifle to mount and scope for and one more to find the right load for....so we will see, but first things first the Shilen-Savage in 260 is my top priority and this should be a shooter as well....hopefully it will be as good as my Coopers and Blaser R93......

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:08:16 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Christensen Arms Ridgeline
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
you crack me up Bo. you buy a new rifle and the ask if anyone owns one and then "how good are they".  --099-780 i love it.

that change you found in the cushions during the flood came in handy  @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
Yari - Now that I look back on the post, I can see you in the floor laughing....yea it is sort of ironic isn't it.....I know the Christensen Rifle Shoot good, but was wondering about the 6.5 PRC round...it looks awesome, and it is about 200 FPS faster than the 6.5 CM....and it is a little fatter than the 6.5 CM is not by much.....have been studying every since it come out and last put an order in at Midway for one box of ammo (143 gn ELD-X) and 40 pieces of brass for it.....have to make a determination on a scope for it so I ordered 30mm rings, I have several 30mm scope laying around but a nice Leupold VX6 2-12X x 42mm would be nice setting on it.....

I know the rifle shoots great, the guy I bought my 26 Nosler was telling me that most of the guys was using the Ridgeline over the Nosler Liberty.....I have been studying the 30 PRC for about a year now.....so this should be interesting....Will post pictures of after I get it set up......

So has anybody own a 6.5 PRC caliber?? if so How do you like the 6.5.....

Hope this helps....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 01:56:47 AM »
With this fledgling new round, for the best performance, I think the best way is to reload it...placed orders for Redding Dies and Brass and ammo box (MTM) for at least 50 rounds for it and the order will be here next week...did find in my work box a new short one piece picatinny scope base from Leupold that I will use......

Now the work begins, not only work about 6 hours in the gun room today unpacking boxes and tweaking the arrangement, but now have a bunch of projects that I need to attend to......will spend a few hours trying to solve those problems.....

I will be studying the 6.5 PRC which so far that they (who ever they are) this caliber a long range caliber...sure, will be using the 140 to 147 gn pills and was looking last night already have a bunch of bullets that fall within that weight range from the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Creedmoor that I already have....but with reloading you can really tweak the round....

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 07:18:35 AM »
Decided on Putting a Leupold VX-5 3-15X x 44mm, 30mm tube, on the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC....Should be here next Thursday...Saved over $100 by getting it off Amazon instead of Midway.....my first choice was Midway but for over $100...decided on Amazon...the sales tax was the issue......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
Christensen carries a very strong reputation, don't know anything about that PRC chambering but at 200 FPS beyond the CM, I suspect it will be a bit of a challenge from a barrel life perspective if you end up shooting it a lot. 

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle again Bo - that might be the longest dry spell between gun purchases for you since I've been on this forum!

@--0--0133
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »
 ##$%#15 but one day can't count as a dry spell in my eyes    ##$%#12

well it will shoot like this   ##$%#113  or like this    --09--0 is my guess
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
bo-now you got me chuckling again. you bought another Leo? what about the poor orphan Leo's w/o a home you already have? don't they need a home? @--0--0117

i'm just busting your chops @--0--0105 I get it. new gun should have a new scope

enjoy
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 07:36:21 PM »
Madgomer ....Yes, only two so far this year but that will likely go to 3 or 4 this year....Got to get me a Bergara B14 (~$950) in 6.5 Creedmoor, a Blaser R93 Stock (~$2000) for starters. Am looking at 6mm Rem, maybe vintage? and always on the look out for a Ruger No.1V in 280 Rem, it is a varmint/heavy barrel configuration....they only made it for a couple of years...

Bo 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »
Not familiar with it nor do I hunt out west.

I dug this up:

The 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) is a relatively new long-range cartridge developed by Hornady. According to their team, the round has been “designed to achieve the highest levels of accuracy, flat trajectory and extended range performance in a sensibly designed compact package”. The use of moderate powder charges helps create a cartridge that is accurate and enjoys a reasonable barrel life without heavy recoil. Often represented as an attempt to improve on the wildly popular 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC is a well-balanced chambering suitable for both hunters and competition shooters.
Those who choose to shoulder a rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC should enjoy the high velocities and long-range potential possible with the short-action round. Hornady claims a muzzle velocity of 2,910 FPS from their 26” test barrel with a 1:8 twist and “performance well beyond 1000 yards”. Ammunition is currently offered in 147-grain ELD Match and 143-grain ELD-X bullets.
Although primarily designed for competition, hunters will find the round suitable for most North American game.

I wonder if the army using something similar for terrorists  season ( which never closes)

Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 07:48:50 PM »
Decided on Putting a Leupold VX-5 3-15X x 44mm, 30mm tube, on the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC....Should be here next Thursday...Saved over $100 by getting it off Amazon instead of Midway.....my first choice was Midway but for over $100...decided on Amazon...the sales tax was the issue......

Enjoy it.

Next time try scopes here (I did)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I just get a kick out of buying hunting stuff from a store not too far from the New York City Mayor’s office @--0--0118

Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 08:57:45 PM »
flint- BP Photo has some good prices. I've bought a few thing there
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »

I dug this up:

The 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) is a relatively new long-range cartridge developed by Hornady. According to their team, the round has been “designed to achieve the highest levels of accuracy, flat trajectory and extended range performance in a sensibly designed compact package”. The use of moderate powder charges helps create a cartridge that is accurate and enjoys a reasonable barrel life without heavy recoil. Often represented as an attempt to improve on the wildly popular 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC is a well-balanced chambering suitable for both hunters and competition shooters.
Those who choose to shoulder a rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC should enjoy the high velocities and long-range potential possible with the short-action round. Hornady claims a muzzle velocity of 2,910 FPS from their 26” test barrel with a 1:8 twist and “performance well beyond 1000 yards”. Ammunition is currently offered in 147-grain ELD Match and 143-grain ELD-X bullets.
Although primarily designed for competition, hunters will find the round suitable for most North American game.

I wonder if the army using something similar for terrorists  season ( which never closes)
Flint - our boys and girls in the military are using all sorts of stuff for terrorists, ranging from the 5.56 all the way to the .50 BMG for the shoulder-fired weapons.  The long range guys still seem to be relying on the .338 Lapua, .300 Win mag, .50 BMG (Barretts) and the good old .308 (7.62X51) to some extent.  I wouldn't be shocked to learn there are a few 6.5 CM and PRC weapons in use over there, but unless the military has adopted some official guns & ammo, it makes for a very challenging supply chain situation - don't want to run out of ammo over there.  If Dutch happens to be monitoring this thread I'm sure he could lend a much more credible response to your question.
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:17 AM »

I dug this up:

Flint - our boys and girls in the military are using all sorts of stuff for terrorists, ranging from the 5.56 all the way to the .50 BMG for the shoulder-fired weapons.  The long range guys still seem to be relying on the .338 Lapua, .300 Win mag, .50 BMG (Barretts) and the good old .308 (7.62X51) to some extent.  I wouldn't be shocked to learn there are a few 6.5 CM and PRC weapons in use over there, but unless the military has adopted some official guns & ammo, it makes for a very challenging supply chain situation - don't want to run out of ammo over there.  If Dutch happens to be monitoring this thread I'm sure he could lend a much more credible response to your question.

As long as the bullet that gets ‘em is marked “Made in the USA” whatever we use to reduce that herd is good with me! ##$%#115 -0078
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Online Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 11:07:12 AM »
Made in the USA and with a little piggy etched into it . . .
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad