New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Blaser R93  (Read 146 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Blaser R93
« on: May 06, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »
No, this is not a Chevy Blaser, it is a German Built Interchangeable rifle. The original Blaser R93 (came out in 1993, the original Blaser was the R84 came out in 1984, the most current model is the R8 which debut in 2008) was a 243 Win., the guy who bought it at half price because he was there when this Doctor, or a rich person came in the store and put down half of the $3200 on the rifle, he never came back in and picked up the rifle!!! So after a year or two, this guy finally asked the manager if he could buy it for the remaining $1600. The store manager told the guy to try one more time to get hold of the original buyer but no avail. So this guy bought this Blaser R93 in 243 Win.....when he lived (Midland, Michigan) in at the time, you could not use center fire rifles so he had it shot it 3 or 4 times and the put it up. In 2010 he moved down south near Nashville and want to buy him and his family a boat, so he put the Blaser R93 in 243 Win up for sale.

Over the years have been buy many things for the Blaser R93 family....like a 280 Barrel and put a Zeiss Conquest scope on it, got a another Zeiss Conquest for the 243 Win and then bought a 300WSM and mounted a Swarovski 30mm tube scope on it, and then I bought a the heaviest Blaser case for it, the darn thing must weight 30 to 35 lbs by it self with nothing in the case. It will hold two rifles, and then I bought a stock for it, and since the trigger is built into the stock, had to go though and fill out FFL form and have a background check! I wanted to put the 300WSM in a separate case and make it totally independent of the other two that I have......

So today I ordered a complete head bolt assembly for the 243, had the 280 Rem barrel assembled on the wooden stock currently and had only one bolt head assembly between the two rifle (the 243 and the 280 Rem)....so want I want to do this summer despite the rain and floods is to go ahead and get the parts and pieces that are required to assemble two separate rifles. After it arrives have the 300WSM to go, have most of the parts I need to make it a stand alone rifle, will need to get one more fiberglass stock. So it will cost another $3.5K to get the 300WSM ready to go to the woods. I plan to bring the Blaser R93 out of retirement for the 243 and the 280 and hunt with them this year.....

I will add to this post as time goes on and will be in the market for another stock. Plan on sending the 300WSM barrel back to Blaser Authorized Dealer and see why the 300WSM shots the factory and hand loaded ammo in the 165 and the 180 grain not good at all, maybe it needs to be re-crowned not sure, but sure that will run me a good chunk of change.....

Like Lilly Tomlin says, "There is always something".......     
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Re: Blaser R93
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »
Pics  @--0--0131
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:38:44 AM »
Photos attached per your request - This is the 243 only (Pix 456). This is when I first got the rifle and put a Zeiss Scope on it....sorry about the mess.....the second pix shows the components of the Blaser System....it shows the bolt assembly as well as the original stock plus the magazines and the barrels plus scopes for each of the caliber 243 and the 280.....

What I did later is to get a separate stock and 300WSM barrel and magazine as well as a new Bolt Head Assembly for the 300WSM....so it can stand along, what I need to do now is to order a new stock and yesterday ordered a new Bolt Head Assembly (Right hand - standard) for the other 280 Rem Blaser R93.... 

When it is all said and done will have three Blasers a 243 Win w/Zeiss Scope, a 280 Rem w/Zeiss Scope and a 300 WSM W/Swarovski.....that is my goal for 2019.....
No need to show the 300 WSM in it case, it is a standard black fiberglass stock....

The Blaser R series design is a straight pull back bolt. It does take a while to get use to it but once you do, it will be a sweat shooting rifle, the 280 and the 243 are sub moa tack drivers.....still working on the 300WSM......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:03:24 AM »
that's a new one to me. she's a beauty
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 11:31:28 AM »
Beautiful rifles Blaser makes some gems for sure. I hope you accomplish your 2019 goal Bo maybe when the .300 WSM is done we could get a sise by side pick of the Blasers. Good luck.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:12:14 PM »
Blue - Thanks, yes these rifles are 1993 from that period, that is when they made some great rifles....

Since I posted the pictures, I have been in contact with Blaser Factory Rep and he tells that my order for the other Bolt Head Assembly should complete the finishing touches on the 243 Win., the 280 Rem is ready to go....so all I need is to find a stock for the 300WSM and send the barrel back for inspection and if necessary re-crowning....but all the Blaser R93 stocks fits all the R93 calibers, so just finding one and couching up the $2K for it will hurt a lot...especially for a guy who is living on a fixed income....

In a few days will have the 243 Win and the 280 Remington ready to head for the range...to verify their accuracy....so I will have two separate Blasers R93, so hopefully by the end of the year or by the time hunting season is here I will have all three ready to go...keep your fingers crossed for me.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
Very nice Bo - I didn't realize Blaser was still in business.  Did they get bought up in the midst of all the consolidation?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 03:16:11 PM »
Nice set up
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 07:36:16 PM »
Found some pictures taken at the range a few years back....the 280 shown with the wooden stock and the newest one was the 300WSM with it synthetic stock...

Mad - No I did not, it had not taken place when I bought mine....the R84 was the original Blaser and then mine series with the R93 and the most current series in the R8 that came out in 2008.

Will post some pictures after I get both the 243 and the 280 assembled and ready....

Thanks......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
those are real tall mounts. I bet that takes some getting use to
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »
Finished up both the 243 Win and the 280 Rem today..yippie...

The rifle with the wooden stock (left) is the 243 Win and the one that is all fiberglass composite stock (right) is the 280 Rem......

The other picture is of the parts and pieces of the 300WSM...as you can tell, the Blaser System is a modular type rifle. it consists of the Barrel, the Bolt Head Assembly, the magazine. The stock contains the trigger housing and that has got to go through the FFL background check on yours truly....

Getting there, now the stock is going to cost me about $2K...ouch....In the mean time, will be sending the 300WSM barrel back to Blaser to see if Gander Mtn messed it up when they tried to put a Schrewd Muzzle Brake on it....they had it for a couple of month and they shipped it to 4 different location with out my permission.....so I will bear the cost of fixing the barrel and shipping charges..........

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 04:07:02 PM »
They look awesome Bo...I'll just share one thing about the Blaser...they are beautiful rifles but until you get one in your hands and under the precision and engineering that goes into these weapons you can't really began to understand what a true work of art they are. Looks them up there is nothing cheep about these weapons. They go into the $100 of thousand of dollars for some models. The German's have their act together...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 05:42:42 PM »
These rifles are awesome, just like Split Toe, says you really don't understand them until you have one in your hands and shoot them....they are amazing...if you thought Cooper's were expensive just look at some of the upper models of these rifles!! holy cow, they are expensive....

But since these rifles are modular in design, they can be interchanged completely, with the exception of the bolt head and it not like any bolt head I have ever seen before. It's fingers wraps around the back of the rim and holes it that way. When the mail came this morning, the package that arrived here, it had two pieces in it...the bolt assembly and the bolt head, that comes in Small (for your 222 or 223 of similar rounds) or Standard round, such as a 308 to 338 or 9.3 mm round of 7x57mm round or any caliber up to a 338 win mag....and then you can have the magnum head for your mag loads....such as my third Blaser, a 300WSM....but the engineering that goes into each piece is amazing in it self....

I can take the No.1 -243 Win Blaser and the No.2 - 280 Rem Blaser and swap them completely.....but all three bolt head assembly can fit into one Blaser all you really need is one stock and one bolt assembly. You can change out the entire rifle is you want too....

Enjoy....but be warned that these rifles are not cheap, I wrestled with buying this Standard Bolt Head and Bolt Head Assembly for over a week and finally purchased it for $850! ouch!! and the stock it the only piece I need for the 300 WSM is the expensive stock that I will have by hunting season...ouch again....Split Toe and Deerhead has held these rifles and knows the amazing engineering quality that goes into these rifles.....and I got an old one, just think about winning the lotto and buying some Blaser R8....smile!!

5-9-2019 - Yari - Actually they are not as high as you think, since the bolt is a straight pull back and doesn't need to go up then back like most bolts do, sure the mounts could have been lower, but all three calibers are medium height scope mounts, but may go back and replace the medium with low scope mounts..... 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:52:09 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 12:04:06 PM »
Bo I was getting ready to explain the bolt throw.  It is so unique.  The bolt action does not operate like any other bolt gun.  You just pull the bolt handle straight back and straight forward to work the action.  All other bolt guns you lift the bolt then pull back to eject the round, push the bolt forward to cycle a round into the chamber. Then pull the handle down.  Traditional rifles require a lot more movement to operate the action. 

Just a Bo & Split Toe said the precision is amazing.  After working the action I now understand the value in a precision rifle.  Plus the gun is super accurate really nice to look at.  I have seen some on Gunbroker for 110k.  But those looked like they were a work of art.  With all the gold engraving and stuff.  Nice setup(s)! 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 06:52:14 PM »
Blaser's are by far some of the most precisely made firearms in the world. The older single shot ones were commissioned to one of Blaser's gunsmith artisans to build them from start to finish. By finish they would test fire and tune ammunition and gun to guarantee accuracy. I've attached a pic of the K77 engraving I owned for a few years. 
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

New Page 3

Google Ad