New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hunting Safes  (Read 86 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Hunting Safes
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »
Bo got me thinking about gun safes.  What brand safe does everyone have, how many guns will it hold (theoretically) and would you recommend that safe?

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Hunting Safes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
I wont publically post what I have but whatever size you think you need at least double  or tripple it or more LOL

Marked capacityy does not include scopes or any of the many other important things you end up storing in it.

A scoped gun takes up 2 of the rated capacity.  AR's dont fit some models racks because of their short barrels and stocks.

Definitely bolt it to the floor and or wall and think about location. A corner makes it hard to pry the door open in place. 

Go for external hinges as the door swings open a little more

Handguns can eat up space fast as well and a door mounted handgun holder does take up interior space in the first row for long guns.

I cannot emphasize enought the importance of space.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »
MI hit it on the head. lag bolts to the studs are important. mine is in a closet.

I didn't spend big money. the key for me was heat rating. none will withstand an inferno, but there is a big difference in heat ratings

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »
Guys - When I was in and Married in Atlanta, had the biggest and best Browning Gun Safe made. I went ahead and ran a 120VAC circuit using EMT for the Golden Rod, and grouted it to the floor, using Red Head anchors in the floor...it is probably still there...not sure...but I left it and took one last look at it when I was cleaning it out....

Today, have a two short fat safes and one tall one...both two out of three used....one of the short fat guys fits into the gun room closet just fine and the the tall one sits next to it. The tall one I bought new it is of course is a Browning, the other one is a Liberty used and the other one is Canon (used). I think the last one was only installed less than a year when the owner widow sold it back to the original store. All of them have the 4" Channels that are welded on the bottom...this eases the movement of the safes...but glad I have the Pallet Jacks that I got from Northern may years ago, when I got my first safe...it does take up a lot of floor space in the external garage, but I am so glad now that I have no regrets in paying the $400 buck back then...now days it runs about $500 to $550 for one....

Ben - get the biggest safe you will thing you will ever need, heck I did and ended up with 3 of them...LOL...but there is nothing wrong with scratch and dent safes......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 08:49:54 PM »
Ben, I have a Liberty I bought about 25 years ago.  No complaints.  It's rated as a 16 gun safe and I have that many in there (plus pistols) but it's tight.  Like Yari, I went for a better fire rating just for some peace of mind - it just comes down to the amount of time it can handle a given temperature before the contents are damaged.  Also have other stuff like photos, old family jewelry and old coins, etc, so keep those needs in mind too.  I'm thinking about buying a couple of smaller ones, so I can securely store guns on each level of the house rather than trying to get a monster safe to keep everything in one place.  I think I'm going to order a Hornady Rapid Safe AR gunlocker.  It will hold two "long guns" (I think 42" is the limit) and then I can also have a handgun and ammo on a magnet inside or a small magnetic shelf.  If it works out as I expect I'll get a second one. It's narrow enough to fit behind many doors, so it's out of sight in many settings.  Just something to consider depending on how much accessibility you need.  If you have a space for it, a really cool option is to build a secure room and then buy a vault door to control access to the room.  Friend of mine who is an avid Marlin lever gun collector did that in his basement.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 12:38:07 AM »
Thanks Mad - Well said...I too own a liberty and to date no complaints either....

My pallet jack is a full size and now days they (Northern Tool) have a mini pallet for under $200!! that is dirt cheap, but the flood cause me to get this full size pallet jack into and out of (with safe) through the doors (no small task) and then over a bump from the house to the garage, the old carpet made it a lot harder to move it than with these new laminated wooden floor that is now installed, bringing them in was easy compare to the first time (many years ago). So with anyone that is considering buying and moving a gun safe in or out, it might be a good time to invest in a mini pallet floor jack, last check at Northern a few minutes ago showed that they offered 2 models both about the same price (under $200) and similar features....

My understanding is that only 3 or 4 manufacturers of safe that are built today, and Mad has a good idea about buying smaller ones. If and it is a big one, if you have kids at home, it imperative that you do lock up your firearms and ammo separately. Your loaded firearms it is good to keep them locked up even when you are at home and look to Hornady or other similar products on the market for rapid access to your main firearm....

I do remember when I was married to my first wife she had two boys from her first marriage, this was my first, I kept all the tools and guns and valuables under lock and key. Those few years I was in Atlanta, and not on the road at some Nukie plant I did take my firearm (old standard 6 shot wheel) out every night and then when I went to the office, put it in the lock box and I was the only one with the key, wife did not have a key, only I did. We had two huge walk-in closets in the master bedroom one his and one hers. In my it had a lock on the door, it stayed locked most of the time, had a 15 gun rack that had a metal bar and a bike cable that ran though the trigger guards and they had locks on them, and took the bolts out of my rifles, tagged them and kept them into a locked tool box, and the factory ammo was also locked up in a separate locked box. I try to think that there was no room for error when it comes down to safety. Finally, I bought a huge Browning safe for the downstairs concrete basement floor, I think it held 36 rifles, it was full of coins and baseball cards as well as rifles....the boys had a hard time bringing it in and it took them a day and a half to get it in....I do remember it sitting out over night at the basement door, outside so the guys could get more hands to help move it in...the wife "censored Word" and "censored Word" at me while the move was in process...but we finally got it in and it is probably still down there unless the owners sold it......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »
I have a American Security safe BFII6030 28 guns. It weights 1300 pounds and has a 2 hour fire rating. Long story how I got it but drove to Denver, Co and got it from my brother-in-law when they bought a house two of them were in it. Told me I could have it all I had to do was come get it. Which was easier said than done. I have a poured wall basement with a 9 foot roll-up door. I keep my boat, ATV and zero turn mower in it. I backed my truck all the way back to the far wall and it took 9 guys to move it four feet. If I ever move it will stay with the house...LOL Really like the safe. While it's rated for 28 guns I have 21 long guns and four pistols in it along with some silver and gold and my wife's diamonds. When my mother passed away she left the wife her diamonds. While their worth is substantial I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for them.

http://www.amsecusa.com/product/bfii6030/
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad