New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: TROLLING MOTOR BATTERY  (Read 88 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
TROLLING MOTOR BATTERY
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:11:20 AM »
has anyone found a trolling motor battery out there for under $200 that lasts? i bought an exide 3 years ago and it crapped out on my over the winter. i had it in the basement and charged it 3 times, but it discharges to 50% after only 1 hour

i have a cabelas AGM that good after 5 years, but that was +$200. i tried the exide at $85.  i thought exide was a good name.  @--0--0117 @--0--0117

any hidden gems out there???????????
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: TROLLING MOTOR BATTERY
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
Yari,
A couple of decades ago I quit spending extra for the top shelf batteries and just buy Walmart's EverStart brand.  They come with a three year replacement warranty.  I figure if I get more than 3 years out of a battery it has done reasonably well.  We have a Walmart pretty close to us so it's not much hassle to drop off the battery & let them test it.  When I still had my dozer I was going through batteries pretty frequently, especially if I forgot to disconnect a cable when I parked it.  Got my money's worth out of that initial battery purchase & gave the receipt to the guy I sold it to so he could carry on.

East Penn and Johnson Controls are the two companies that make most of the automotive batteries I believe, and they get sold under many different brand names.  There are some differences in the construction which do impact performance and life, but an awful lot of them are the same battery just with a different label on the outside.  Sorry, don't have any good info for you on which specific deep cycle brands are the most robust.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:46:50 PM »
mad- i'm seeing no 3 year warranties on deep cycle. I would snatch it up if I could.

I agree w/ the fact that they slap different names on the same battery though

thx 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »
here's a couple things i found out. i hope it helps you not make the same mistake. this is for 24, 36, or 48 volt series systems.

never mix AGM batteries w/ Acid batteries. the acid battery's life will be reduced since the AGM is superior

also, make sure the size or group of batteries is the same or close. don't mix a group 31 w/ a 24 or 27. there is too much of a difference and the smaller one will wear out quicker

this is info direct from a boat dealer. it made sense to me. i just never had anyone explain it before. you'd think this would be the first thing they ask @--0--0117

tight lines!! ^^&&$%GT ##$#@#$%
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »
Yeah Yari - definitely good advice.  Keep the size & type of battery constant when they're running together.  Honestly, if you have a pair of batteries in the system, it's also wise to update the pair together when one fails.

Same holds true if you have more than 2 batteries (like in an electric golf cart).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »
Yeah Yari - definitely good advice.  Keep the size & type of battery constant when they're running together.  Honestly, if you have a pair of batteries in the system, it's also wise to update the pair together when one fails.

Same holds true if you have more than 2 batteries (like in an electric golf cart).

I was told that also. like you, i'm frugal. i'm not replacing a good $250 battery if I don't have to ##$%#15 I just couldn't wrap my head around that
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
here's a couple things i found out. i hope it helps you not make the same mistake. this is for 24, 36, or 48 volt series systems.

never mix AGM batteries w/ Acid batteries. the acid battery's life will be reduced since the AGM is superior

also, make sure the size or group of batteries is the same or close. don't mix a group 31 w/ a 24 or 27. there is too much of a difference and the smaller one will wear out quicker

this is info direct from a boat dealer. it made sense to me. i just never had anyone explain it before. you'd think this would be the first thing they ask @--0--0117

tight lines!! ^^&&$%GT ##$#@#$%
100% correct...I have a 24 volt trolling motor. I have used Walmart Maxx Marine batteries for years. I've got two Maxx 29 batteries that I bought 2/2012 and replaced them 3/2018 They would still hold a charge but I replaced them due to age. I use my boat a lot and will put the batteries through a workout during a day on the lake. I've got a 3 bank onboard charger that I always hook up upon my return from fishing. During the winter from September til Janurary I'll charge the again around mid November. I'll get five years out of these batteries. My boat stays in my basement so there never out in the cold weather during winter.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad