New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hog hunt in texas  (Read 357 times)

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Hog hunt in texas
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »
AS far as the stick goes no Dave did not get up and really personal with a pig , but there was one local hunter ( Texas )that shot one with a bow but could not recover it ( bow not really recommended ) . I did meet and talk with hunters from all over the world ( England ) I'll post a picture of what they shoot in about an hour being driven around the farm later but it was 4 hogs from 180 to 81# . Others there were H W Bush's secret-service staff they were there on a 10 hog hunt . As far as my group goes we made some first time mistakes from doing the 23 hour drive in one day one day and then not laying down before we went out on the first evening hunt , not shooting our limit the first night and getting hit by a washout storm the second day that washed out the ranch roads and had the hogs all laying low the third morning . But spent the day talking with hunter from CA , AZ, CO, MT . The biggest mistake I made was to take the wrong type of guns should have taken my 7.62x39 with the red dot sight on it and a regular scope on my Grendel . That first evening hunt we watched a group hogs about 30 yards from our blind but in an area that we were not allowed to shoot , then watched 8 bull elks eat our bait 30 feet in front of our blind for about 45 minutes  and then had piglets and black buck and his does come to the bait , buddy shoot one of the piglets and they just skinned in so we're going to put on the grill soon . the second day got hit by a really bad thunder storm that dropped 5" of rain and all sorts of lighting keeping us out of the blinds . Lessons learned all ready working on setting up a hunt there next year and will be taking the right gun combo's this time and make the drive a 2 day event .         
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:52:44 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 06:12:49 PM »
sounds like a lot of action. the folks sounded interesting to.

'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 10:38:24 PM »
Which ranch did you sign up to hunt with?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 06:44:07 AM »
The Independence Ranch near Gonzales,TX
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 09:35:46 AM »
Mad if you have any questions about the ranch fire away , average range of the shots there is about 30 feet .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »
Mad if you have any questions about the ranch fire away , average range of the shots there is about 30 feet .

30 feet or 30 yards?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »
Feet out to about 100 yards . the 30' is where the bait pile starts .  ##$%#1118
 Next time I'm going to be ready with a red dot that I have found point of impact at that range .
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:09:56 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 08:01:22 AM »
Very cool pictures Sundowner.  Unfortunately the rain can really mess up a hunt especially after driving that long/far.   

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »
I'm with you on the 7.62 at that range, some soft points would be great on those piggies.  For the short range shots maybe a .44 or .357 mag revolver?
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 12:31:14 PM »
I'm with you on the 7.62 at that range, some soft points would be great on those piggies.  For the short range shots maybe a .44 or .357 mag revolver?

I would go .44. a lot more wallup
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 01:57:37 PM »
Really they would rather you use rifles even at that range the pistols for kill shots or for protection of a wounded pug . All the hogs there are wild hogs , the way they can keep it that way is they buy wild hogs from local trappers for replacements . But at the same time you are on your own when you are on the hunt , Yes next time am going to take my 357 along , I think that the 3 days that I was there ,there were about 45 hogs taken , the walkers said that the hog went to ground and you almost had to hit them to get them up during the day .  ##$%#1118  In fact the staff carry fully loaded 9mm when they go looking for wounded hogs plus shotgun or 300 black AR . 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:01:34 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 04:59:50 PM »
i'm guessing it's fenced w/ the exotics and elk? how many acres?

I can't believe they have to buy hogs. they must really mow them down if they can keep the population down to where they have to buy them
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »
Yes it is high fenced and you can't hunt the whole ranch . the exotics are in the area but they are manly hunted on the grass land areas of the ranch but they do come through came at any time in the day . The best hog area is about 1/2 mile from camp it's about 1 square mile . the reason  that they they buy from local trappers is the area is over run with wild hogs and they have 5 to 20 hunters a day after them , the day that I got there there were 8 hog at their cleaning area and what was left of 10 more that were shot that morning . When I got my Texas hunting licenses At the local Walmart the gale that sold it to me said the area was overrun with wild hogs and that it was not uncommon to see 300# hog by the side of the roads or on the roads eating road kills . When I was there I saw several groups of hogs well over 100 in number .  ##$%#1118 
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2019, 09:53:11 PM »
Sundowner, would definitely be interested in hearing your take on their operation in general with respect to hog hunting/hog shooting.  Have read a lot of mixed reviews on them but not directly from anyone that has paid to hunt there.  A former coworker has access to a small private parcel down there, and has been bugging me to come down.  While it's not a guaranteed place to shoot a bunch of hogs, hunting an area that's not fenced in is certainly appealing too.
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
The locals down there say that there are hogs everywhere , some of the ranchers have to have high fences to keep them out . O that tragic accident last year was a classic elevated box blind one and both father and son did not follow ranch rules or basic hunter safety rules , really tragic . If you get that chance give it a try .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

New Page 3

Google Ad