New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: I have the most amazing story....  (Read 613 times)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
I have the most amazing story....
« on: April 19, 2019, 06:56:16 AM »
I have the most amazing story about a turkey I killed on the 15th but I am waiting on one more thing to photograph then I will post it. Not a giant bird, 10" beard, 1" spurs, but definitely the story of a lifetime.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
Re: I have the most amazing story....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »
nice teaser. I can't wait to hear it
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 09:07:52 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »
You're killing me Robert, I can't handle the suspense!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:17:29 PM »
 0-0-0-
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 10:13:03 AM »
and so we wait, and wait, and wait  @--0--0131  @--0--0117
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
news at 11
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »
 @--0--0117 Were ready
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 08:22:20 AM »
Great story!!!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 07:57:49 AM »
So, it started off like any other afternoon hunt. Bugfixer had to work so I took off for one of our properties by myself. This property was basically a wooded mountain so around 4 PM I climbed up about 150 yards and sat down where I could see a lot. I was mostly roosting and didn’t have high expectations.

Around 5 PM, I saw a red head moving around at the bottom of the hill. I eased up the turkey fan I always carry with me and he spotted it immediately. He blew up and started showing off. Then he started the slow process my way to whip my butt.

Back story – For the last 2 years, Bug and I have been using a turkey fan to “Fan” in gobblers. It works so well I call it cheating. 2 of the 5 birds we killed last year were due to fanning. So far this year, all 5 birds killed were with fanning. However, we have always hunted together, one fanning and one shooting…

Back to present time… So I see Mr. gobbler headed my way and that’s when I realize I haven’t practiced getting a gun into shooting position while also fanning. Much harder than it sounds. The fan kept getting in the way of my sights and while fanning does let you get away with some movement, I was moving quite a bit trying to figure out the gun / fanning methods. So much so that he stopped. I made a quick guess of about 50 yards and with an unsteady gun, pulled the trigger. I was holding the fan in my left hand and the forearm of the shotgun with my left pinky. I do not recommend this.

Boom!!! Turkey goes down, turkey gets up and runs to my left.

Turkey is further away now. Boom!!! Panic shots were never my specialty.

Back story – Just a few hours before, I was complaining to Bug about how my turkey vest gets heavier and heavier every year. So, I cleaned out a lot of the unnecessary junk to lighten it up. Including the 3 extra shotgun shells. I have carried extra shells ever since I started turkey hunting and I have NEVER fired more than twice at a turkey. Who needs extra shells, right?

Back to present time…
Turkey is even further away now. Boom!!! Third shot. Turkey goes down, I jump up and start running down the hill.

As I get about 40 yards from the flopping bird, he jumps up and begins running. Now, let me set the scene. Open hardwoods, steep hill, slightly overweight turkey hunter in his 50’s, no ammo, upset slightly hurt gobbler, high speed pursuit. Are you getting the picture?

As I am running to cut him off, I grab a stick off the ground and begin to gain ground on him. As he is running figure 8’s, up and down the hill, in about a quarter of an acre piece of woods, I am swinging the stick like babe ruth and he is ducking the bat like a prize fighter. He keeps looking back at me and honking like a goose every step. Sometimes he would run into a tree and I would gain ground. Sometimes I would trip and fall and he would gain ground. I’m swinging at this guy like he’s a turkey piñata but haven’t scored a head shot yet. At this time, I would have paid $500 for one of those shells I left behind at the cabin…

I finally score a decent hit to his noggin and he slows a bit so I decide to dive on him like I’m sliding into second base. In midair I remember this second baseman has spurs and think maybe this wasn’t my best idea yet. I land directly on him. He grunts, I grunt and then he shoots out like a wet football and is back up and running. The chase resumes.

When I get close again, I reach out and grab his tail. He is still trying to run and the whole “Tiger by the tail” cliché comes to mind. I’m swinging my trusty stick, landing mostly body shots, that he takes like a champ. Now we are now both honking like a goose. A quick picture of a caveman trying to catch a velociraptor before starving to death comes to mind.

He pulls free leaving me a handful of tail feathers. Now, we are both close to total panic and almost completely exhausted and near death. I take one more swing for the fence and hit a home run. He goes down, I grab what’s left of his tail feathers and dance to avoid his spurs as my boot goes for his head. However, he has one more last desperate trick in mind. He sticks his head under his wing denying me the coup de gras. So now I’m holding his tail, dancing to avoid spurs and kicking his wing to try and get his head and neck out. It eventually pops out and my foot finds his neck, In a minute its all over. When he’s finally done, I lay down beside him and try to prevent the heart attack that seems to be on the way.

When I can breathe again, I stand up in complete disbelief that this just happened. My best guess is the chase took 5 to 10 minutes even though it felt like hours. As I reach up to remove my hat and wipe the sweat away, I realize I have no hat. Somewhere in the crazy chase I lost my Turkey Thugs hat with the attached veil. My lucky hat! I spent another 30 exhausted minutes looking for it before I finally found it.

Turkey, empty gun and hat in hand, I make my way down the hill and back to the truck. Now the only decision left to make is do I tell this story or take it to the grave? Well, you now know the answer. A real turkey thug always tells the story…

10” beard. 1” spurs. 21.5 lbs. 8 tail feathers remaining….

PS… before I left, I stepped off my first shot. 75 yards. I miss-judged that one a bit…

PSS.. I went back several days later and got my stick. That was the photo I was waiting on. The stick is going up on the cabin wall with the other trophies…
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:06:15 AM by Hunt Master »
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 08:18:13 AM »
Man I am in tears!  Hilarious story and well written!  Glad you finally got your bird.  I declare you 2019 turkey champ right now!!!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »
 --9-908 --9-908 --9-908
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
The stick is now mounted in a place of honor...
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 10:13:17 AM »
 --099-780 --099-780 --099-780 --099-780 Man what a great story HM!! I have never chased one that long but i have had to tackle a couple you went for the bonus plan buddy!!! So will this be your new way of hunting turkeys-- Fire 3 starter rounds to get them going then chase em down and kill them with a stick? --099-780 --099-780- you are a bad man if it is. Congrats on a great well earned bird.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:35:05 AM by BLUETOE »
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
Man I am in tears!  Hilarious story and well written!  Glad you finally got your bird.  I declare you 2019 turkey champ right now!!!
I'm with Ben - contest over.  Anyone that tries to top that one is likely to die in the process, and we just can't have that!

That is a classic for the ages!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad