New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: seeders  (Read 86 times)

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
seeders
« on: April 14, 2019, 10:41:24 PM »
Was wondering what everyone does for seeding plots. For years I've been just broadcasting and dragging with an old drag section.  I have an old JD 7000 4 row that I've used to plant soybeans the last couple years but am limited on just planting beans and corn.  Have been looking at the woods precision super seeders a lot lately, they are an all in one with a disc gang on the front, spiked roller in the middle and cultipacker on the back.  Can plant multiple seeds at once at different depths too.  Was just curious what everyone else does. I'm getting to big for the four wheeler broadcast spreader.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Re: seeders
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:51:38 AM »
I'm nlot going to be much help on this post.  I use an over the shoulder bag seeder for small seed (turnips, clover, alfalfa, etc.) and a 3 pt. cyclone spreader for oats.  I have been thinking about a grain drill, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  The above two methods seem to work fine for me.  Plant it just before a rain and hit with cultipacker seems to work well.  Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.  You must be planting a lot of food plots, how many acres are you planting total?

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »
I use a little hand crank spreader for tiny seeds (and small patches) and my ATV spreader for the bigger stuff.  I generally spread and run a cultipacker over it or drag then cultipack depending on the type of seed.  I also have an old Ferguson Yardmaker that has both a seed box and fertilizer box and a pair of spiked rollers on it that can be filled with water, so it can seed, fertilize, and pack all in one pass.  I haven't used it in years, but did some horse pasture mix with it (alfalfa & grass) on a couple of acres here when we built the house and then on the lawn too.  It works well but most of my plots are small enough that it's just not worth messing with.  For a bigger operation it would be getting much more use.  It's a little over 6' wide, operates like a drop spreader, doesn't have the individual drop tubes like most drills would have.

Would love to find some old ground driven row units like Deere 71's or IH 185/295's that I could bolt on a tool bar and make a 3-4 row planter for sunflowers & corn, but those things are bringing crazy money these days.  Wasn't too long ago those were being sold for scrap, now it's hard to find a single row unit at all, as guys are building small plot planters & selling them for big bucks.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »
I do the same thing as you. I have a buddy that just bought a drill for 6K. I think I will stay w/ what I've been doing. @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 06:46:21 AM »
I'm nlot going to be much help on this post.  I use an over the shoulder bag seeder for small seed (turnips, clover, alfalfa, etc.) and a 3 pt. cyclone spreader for oats.  I have been thinking about a grain drill, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  The above two methods seem to work fine for me.  Plant it just before a rain and hit with cultipacker seems to work well.  Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.  You must be planting a lot of food plots, how many acres are you planting total?

If I have to replant the two clover plots right now I would be at around 12 to 15 acres and thats with one farm not having any which I have to do some work on it first to figure out where I want to plant one. My biggest problem is time. Last fall with the equipment I have it took me almost a day and a half to work about 4 acres of ground with the tiller, seed and fertilize everything, and drag it to cover and pack the ground back down. 
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »
Oh man, that is a lot of groceries!  I checked out the Woods implement you were talking about, I didn't realize how expensive they were.  If you get one, send some pics of it in action.  It seems like it would cut down on a lot of tractor time.

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 04:36:07 PM »
that is a lot of planting. can you borrow a seeder from a local guy? a field that big could use decent size planters
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 07:56:55 PM »
That's a good thought - our local Pheasants Forever group has a drill that they loan/rent out for food & habitat work - - not sure if they'd only do it on the condition of planting stuff for pheasants vs. deer??
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 09:47:12 AM »
i used a JOHN DEERE PULL BEHIND SPREADER  WORKS ALONG AS IT IS DRY
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

New Page 3

Google Ad