New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Eliminate boot odors?  (Read 108 times)

Offline mkaiser

• Fawn
Eliminate boot odors?
« on: April 13, 2019, 07:35:14 PM »
Any suggestions on what to use to eliminate odors both inside and out on hunting boots? 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:53:39 PM by mkaiser »
Aim Small Miss Small

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Eliminate boot odors?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
inside I use dead down wind foot powder.

outside, I use rubber boots. use will wear off the rubber smell. I don't think deer mind rubber smell. I DO think they hate leather smell

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum fellow Oklahoman.  If they are new boots, I think it is best to wear them everywhere for a while (mowing, yard work, etc.).  I've also tried rubbing dirt on them to mask any odors.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »
Use an ozone generator.  You can buy one on line.  I bought one at Amazon.  It will eliminate the odor.  Its not something you want to breath but put your boots in a box with an ozone generator for a few minutes and the odor will be gone.  This is just like the Ozonics brand equipment that is being sold in hunting stores but at a fraction of the price.
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:07 AM »
One cheap and useful thing to do (you guys know me, I'm the cheapest of the cheap) is to get those boots out in the sunshine.  I sprinkle the inside liberally with baking soda and on a bright sunny day leave them out on the sidewalk/driveway.  I'll turn them around/flip them over to make sure all sides get good exposure.  Wearing them outside for lawn work etc is good too, but try to steer clear from gasoline & oil (I try not to wear mine in the shop, ever) as those odors tend to stick around for a long time.  Ozone generator is definitely going to remove odors, but not something everyone has.

Like Yari, I try to avoid leather - seems to absorb sweat/odors and is hard to get that back out.  Besides that, leather tends to have its own smell and that's not natural in the woods.  In hunting season I use home-made scent removal spray before & after the hunt (combination of baking soda/water/hydrogen peroxide, recipes all over on the web) and on my way out to the stand will try to stomp in any piles of doe droppings, walnut hulls, etc to collect some natural odors which might offset whatever else I have on them.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline mkaiser

• Fawn
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 01:15:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
Aim Small Miss Small

New Page 3

Google Ad