New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 12 g Shell Length  (Read 285 times)

Offline CarrieZ

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
    • Have Blog, Will Travel
12 g Shell Length
« on: February 25, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »
Hey guys! I probably have what is a very newby stupid question. I'm way smarter about bows than I am firearms, so I figured I'd ask my friends.

I have a slug gun that I'm looking to buy a new barrel for so I can convert it to 12 gauge shotgun.

Over the years ammunition companies have sent me shells to use or try. So I have a bit of a collection going.

Of the 12 gauge, some say 3", some say 2 3/4".

My question is if I get a barrel, how do I know what length will work best? I don't want to jam it up.

I've honestly never really paid attention to the length of my 20 gauge shotshells. So I just want to make sure I buy the right barrel.

Will it matter? As long as the 3-inch fit will the other ones as well?
I'm not sure I'm even asking the right questions  --099-780

Thanks in advance.
Carrie

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: 12 g Shell Length
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
A barrel that will take 3" shells will also take the 2-3/4" shells, barrel length is a matter of choice just like chokes. Whatever you chose in a barrel, I would make sure that it will accept multiple chokes. The chamber determines the shell lengths you can use. Longer chambers will accept shorter shells. Good Luck
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:23:59 PM »
like gut said. especially when it comes to chokes. screw in choke tubes make your gun more versatile

IMO, get the same size barrel(meaning 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2") for your bird shot as you have for your slug barrel. that will eliminate any confusion. if you have a barrel that takes 3 1/2" shells, you can shoot the smaller loads out of it. you can always shoot shorter shells, but never shoot bigger shells than the barrel calls for

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
Carrie, in addition to Gutshots fine advice, I want to ask you to clarify what you're planning to do.  Are you wanting to take a 20 gauge slug gun and put a 12 gauge barrel on it for shotshells?  If so, there will be additional homework required to make sure the receiver and magazine tube are compatible - I suspect most will not be.  I doubt that's what you're doing, but wanted to confirm.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »
Carrie, in addition to Gutshots fine advice, I want to ask you to clarify what you're planning to do.  Are you wanting to take a 20 gauge slug gun and put a 12 gauge barrel on it for shotshells?  If so, there will be additional homework required to make sure the receiver and magazine tube are compatible - I suspect most will not be.  I doubt that's what you're doing, but wanted to confirm.

Good Point Mad.
That caught my attention also.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline CarrieZ

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
    • Have Blog, Will Travel
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
Hi all, sorry for the delay in responding, i wasn't getting notifications about replies and then had trouble logging in.

To clarify I want to convert the slug gun into a turkey hunting gun. A friend said I could just get a new barrel instead of purchasing a whole new gun.

I don't want to use it for slugs at all ever again. I only bought the gun because I had an IL shotgun season deer hunting opportunity. But at $350 for a license I doubt I'll ever go back. So I thought I'd convert it into a 12 g shotgun for turkeys. I currently use a 20 g but thought it'd be cheaper to convert this gun instead of buying a new one.

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »
got it. it's easy to switch barrels. just make sure if your slug gun is a 3" that the new barrel is a 3". you can always choose to shoot a shorter shell, but never shoot a longer shell. if you shoot a longer shell, it will fit on the way in but not after it is fired. sad to say I did this once while using 2 different guns w/ different length shells on a goose/sharptail hunt. it was a bugger to remove the jammed shell

good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »
Hey Carrie - welcome back!  In addition to Yari's feedback, the other thing to consider is the stock/cheekpiece height.  If by chance you're starting out with a slug gun that has a high cheekpiece for shooting with a scope, and you're only planning to shoot turkeys with a vent rib barrel & beads, you might find it a little weird to get your eyeball aligned in the right spot.  If it's a standard stock you probably won't have any issue, and everyone's head is shaped a little different so even with a high cheekpiece it may not be a problem for you - just something to think about as you're getting it set up.  If nothing else you could probably clamp a red dot sight on either the receiver or vent rib to have a similar sighting plane as a scoped slug gun.  Enjoy - turkey season is upon us soon!
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »
ok question what kind of gun it the deer gun and what gauge is it
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 09:08:52 AM »
Assuming the slug gun is a 12g it should be an easy swap.depending on t model and barrel availability.

You cannot convert a 20g to a 12G or vise versa (tbere are some exceptions but those are rare and apy to specific competition clays.)

As was stated, you can use a shorter shell then the gun is chambered for but not longer.

A 3.5" chamber will handle 3.5" and less
A 3.0" chamber will handle 3.0" and less
A 2.75" chaber will handle 2.75" and less.

Also if you put a barrel chambered for 3" on a receiver designed for 2.75", you will be limited to the receiver capacity of 2.75".

I see very few guns today with only 2.75" chambers most are 3.0" and many in the turkey/waterfowl world are 3.5".  These work awesome but they will beat you up quick.

Most modern barrels are also drilled and tapped for choke tubes.  Most barrels can be retrofitted but it will cost upwards of $75-$150 for the service or around $250 for the tools to do it yourself (not including choke tubes). Its not hard to do but pricy for the tools unless you are doing several barrels..
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 08:58:42 PM »
I have a old Winchester 1200 which is chambered only 2 3/4" but it is 50 years old .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 09:10:30 PM »
I have a old Winchester 1200 which is chambered only 2 3/4" but it is 50 years old .  ##$%#1118
Dang, that makes me feel old - I remember when the 1200 came out!
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »

you become old when you retire --099-780  ##$%#15 just jealous
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »

Ha! I hate to tell you this Chris (not really), but retirement is making me feel younger!  Come on, walk towards the light!!!!
 @--0--0102
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »

Ha! I hate to tell you this Chris (not really), but retirement is making me feel younger!  Come on, walk towards the light!!!!
 @--0--0102

i don't see any light yet. i wish i did!!!!!!
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad