New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: very fast 22 caliber  (Read 232 times)

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
very fast 22 caliber
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:39:30 PM »
    I 've been thinking of either rebarreling  an existing rifle or a new build in a very fast 22 cal centerfire. Like a 22 Cheatah or 22-243 middlestead. I want at least 4300 fps with a 50 or 55 gr bullet but 4500 fps would be better. I know barrel life will suffer but it will be a hunting gun for coyotes so it would take many years to put 500 rounds down the barrel. My old Ruger 77v in .243 would be a perfect action to rebarrel and this 22 cal will be replacing my .243 anyway. My other thoughts would be to rebarrel a Savage or a 783 rem myself using a prefit barrel. I can't get a prefit barrel in the cartridges I'm considering so a gunsmith would have to rechamber a prefit barrel anyway and that adds cost.    Any thoughts or if anyone has had experience with a FAST 22 cal would be appreciated.

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: very fast 22 caliber
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:49:59 AM »
223 WSSM
The fastest factory 22 cal. Warning a real barrel burner. I have 200 rounds down mine a throat is already eroding. The price for speed is wear.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »
    Dutch  thanks for the reply. I am researching the 22-243 AI. I see info on line where 4300-4500 fps is possible with this round. I read were a guy shot 35 gr bullets over 5000 fps. I want a very fast 22 cal for coyote hunting when I drive the backroads at daybreak. If the coyote is under 500 yards they are almost always running. The .243 I use is shooting 55 gr bullets at 4150 fps. I don't have to lead them much but sighted in at 300 yards it is like 30 inches low at 500 yards. The 22-243 AI with a 290 BC bullet at 4400 fps would shoot a lot flatter. Also I think my barrel is on its last winter so its time to play with something new. I would hope to get at least 600 or 700 rounds before accuracy starts to fall off.     What bullet are you using and how fast are you pushing it Dutch.

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 09:43:57 PM »
not, I'm using Hornady V-Max 50gr. Pushing them at 5300 in the 223 WSSM. Great hot little round for yotes and whistle pigs. I did manage to bring down a couple of antelopes this past summer too. As I said this velocity has really wore the throat. I expect another 150-200 rounds before it becomes erratic. I have three lands that have been torn back a good 35 thou and the other 2 are flaking off pretty badly. Really love these pills though and use them in 22-250 just don't push them as hard. I do use the boat tail ones, they seem to stabilize really well. In either gun I can hold a 1/4" - 3/8" dispersion at 500. The 22-250 with it's longer barrel is actually more accurate holding a 1/2" spread at 1000. You guessed it a whistle pigs last nightmare.

Good luck on your project.

BTW I hope to test fire the 243-5K build (I've named it "Gossamer") within the next couple of weeks. I've jotted down all me notes and specs on this build and will be posting it as soon as I have actual velocity data.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 11:25:22 AM »
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »
WOW 5300 fps.. That's awesome Dutch.    If I can get 4400 or 4500 fps with a 50 gr bullet I will be very happy. Guys on line say over 1000 rounds before accuracy drops off. I sent Krieger an email on what twist to use but have not got a reply. The gunsmith is checking prices on a reamer and then will give me a estimate on the build.    I'm going to rebarrel my old Ruger 77V  heavy barrel. The heavy barrel will come off and be replaced with a Krieger stainless steel medium sporter weight barrel 26 inches long. I'm also going to replace the factory trigger with a Timney trigger. The action is glass bedded and the 8lb firing pin spring was replaced years ago with a 12lb spring. The barrel channel is for a heavy barrel but I want a little lighter rifle to carry so I'm going to a sporter weight. The replacement stocks are really expensive so I'll use what I have but will keep my eyes open at the gunshows this winter.

Online notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 03:53:30 PM »
      I'm getting a little closer to finalizing the rebarreling project. As always I'm on a budget. I would really like to try a TRIGGERTECH trigger but they don't make one for my old 77 Ruger so a Timney it is. I can save a little if I go with a cheaper barrel but I don't think buying a lower priced barrel is a good idea and the Gunsmith really is a strong Krieger barrel fan. He uses them on all his competition guns and recommends them for all his clients builds too. So Krieger it is. Either a 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 twist. The gunsmith has a factory "take off" barrel in 22-250 that He offered to rechamber to 22-243 AI and let me use it to fireform brass so I don't wear out my barrel just fire forming my brass. Then after that he will put on the Krieger and I will be able to start out with a new barrel in 22-243 AI. 200 rounds of brass would last me a lifetime in a Coyote gun. All we need to do is come together on the costs of his services and I can decide what to do.

Online yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 05:07:44 PM »
good luck. get them before they have pups this spring.

I had a yote poop in my driveway last night and there was deer hair in it. i'm guessing the winter kill will be high this year. if there wasn't 3-4' of snow, i'd look for the deer.

send a pic when it's complete
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad