New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: The Key to Shooting Far  (Read 183 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
The Key to Shooting Far
« on: February 13, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »
In my April 2019 Edition of Shooting Times, by Rick Jamison....I thought it was a good article about shooting far out there by Rick. He basically pointed out that bullets are getting higher and higher BC, which generally means longer and longer. Rifles (Bolt Action) are getting better and better and so it optics and the technology behind them....he forgot to mention about lighter triggers really help also. Going from a 5 lb trigger to a 2.5 lb trigger can really make a difference at 400 or 500 yd shot....It just makes you think about your own loads and your own equipment...I shoot 600 yards about 4 or 5 times a year, will take a 270 or 300 WSM or a 7mm Rem or 300 Win Mag, or 7mm STW over to the 1000 yard range and shoot from the 600 yard bench...I have never and will never shoot from the 1000 yard benches...no way, that is way to far for a deer hunter....if I were going to start shooting at 1000 yards, I would all together build a 1000 yard rifle with Optics and Loads to match.....

Sure, the longer the distance the heavier the bullet you should use.....they are exceptions to the rule, but for me my custom 7mm STW shot the 175 and the 190 gn lights out!! and the 300 Win and Wea Mags shoot the 225 gn a lot better than the 200 gn (both Sierra Bullets)....my 308 that I love shoot the 155 gn for 12 twist really good and the 165 up to 178 gn for the 10 twist.....

Also in the magazine there were two product reviews articles on long range scope....the Bushnell 4.5-27X scope and Crimson Trace 4-20X both I would consider long range scopes....I have a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30X x 50mm Scope my 338 Lapua....but that is a very long range scope, but never took it to 600  yard bench, maybe I need to..but the farthest I have shot it has been 300 yards and my 275 gn BTHP are spot on. The darn thing shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups...amazing rifle to be as large of caliber it is...Cannot get that out of my 338 Win Mag or my 338 Federals. I get close to that on my 338-06 Cooper 52.....

But were are the 1.5X x 42mm scopes gone to? Is this just the latest fad in the shooting sports?? just wondering would be interested in your thoughts on this....the 6.5 Creedmoor is the hottest round going. and it is ear marked as a long range round.....you also see a long range scope on this, but never a 2-7X and only a few 3-9X on the 6.5 CM....

What is this issue trying to do to us...make us all long range hunters and shooters? just wondering?
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: The Key to Shooting Far
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:47:22 PM »
I'm OK with it if it truly makes competent long range shooters, but I think we all know there will be a certain segment of the population that will have to go buy one because they think the right gun automatically makes them a super sniper, and some number of those clowns will be taking crazy shots at critters (wounding many, missing many) because they don't have the discipline to spend time at the shooting table and reloading bench to truly develop the skills needed to make the most of those long range rifles. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:15:35 PM »
I agree. it's the thing to do now. there are hunts that advertise LR shooting. they have no interest in getting close and actually hunting, just the LR shot.

IMO, you might as well be at a target range to do that. if you have cover to get closer and minimize some of the variables, then move closer. it's an ego thing for the guys I know that do these hunts. they are pricey to
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:04:56 AM »
I'm not a Natural Shooter like Dutch and PA are....it takes me a lot of work, equipment and practice to to shoot the way that I do...I know if I miss the deer it is not the rifle fault, it is my fault. My goal is to make my rifles as accurate as possible....I do experiment with new loads all the time...I will review the targets (I already have review the targets I shot in 2018) and there are a few changes I need to make....

I would like to hear from Dutch and of PA or anybody else who shoots a lot. I shoot 600 yards 4 or 5 times a year and it does takes a lot of time and equipment...when I go there I use sandbags and not the BoSledge and it takes me two to three minutes to get off a round...I try to practice in the 100 and 200 yard range...

Another good shot is Split Toe, he and Deerhead are natural good shooters and rarely miss a deer.
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 03:44:20 PM »
Bo   several years ago I bought a new Christiansen Arms rifle in 7mm Rem mag. After testing several bullets for penetration I settled on the 160 gr Accubond bullet. This is a hunting rifle and gets used for Elk hunting so I needed a tough bullet. This load could shoot under 1 inch easily. I then took all the measurments and gathered the data to have a Custom turret made by Leupold. After receiving the turret and verifying its accuracy I invited my dad to come with me and shoot the rifle for the first time. My Dad is an excellent shot and has many trophys for handgun shooting, but had never shot at a target over 300 yards. My Dad is in his 80s and still never misses a deer. My Dad fired 2 shots at 1000 yards that landed 8 inches apart and a little low from the bullseye the first time he fired that rifle, and the first time shooting at a target over 300 yards. I did all the setup but he was steady and squeezed the trigger and hit at 1000 yards.    Shooting at 500 yards is easy compared to shooting at 1000 yards, but shooting at 1000 yards is very easy compared to shooting 1500 yards.      that being said the longest shot on big game I have ever taken is 485 yards and that was almost 30 years ago. I got the deer. The longest shot on varmints is 895 yards and I missed the coyote by a couple inches 3 times. I did shoot a coyote last weekend at 750 yards and last year at 735 yards.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 06:27:48 PM »
Notsams -  Thanks for the info, and like Yari says, it is the thing to do right now.....Yes getting the right equipment makes the big difference...had a Archery National Champ who shot Grooves Bow told me back in 1970 (remember back then!) who shot a perfect 300 out of 300, and Robin Hood an Arrow in Competition...he told me that equipment is 65% of the battle, and 25% is practicing and 10% luck, will always remember he telling me that....

I have heard that Christiansen Arms is a very good rifle, Funny Story - Have many custom built rifles such as a Hill Country Rifle 7mm Mag that I bought used. It has a Shilen #4 Stainless barrel, Winchester Action, Timney Trigger, had been glass bedded...I too wanted a rifle that shot the 160 to 175 gn well. After a couple of year of frustration I put it down for 2 years! Then I started over with it and once I did the twist rate three time realized that it was made for lighter bullets, so once I loaded up some 120 and 140 gns bullets, it shot the 140 dime size at 100 yards and nickel size at 200 yards...all because of the 12" twist rate in the barrel, not 9 or 9 1/4 as a standard...but I have a Custom 7mm STW, a 7mm STW sendero and a couple of 7mm Wea Mags, all of which shoots the 165 and 175 gns bullets really well....

A couple of years ago, got a Nolser Liberty Rifle in 26 Nosler should have gotten a 28 Nolser also.....

It's good to know that we have some long range shooter on TH like you and Dutch...but I must go back to it is important that where you hunt is an important factor also...I don't need a 300 Win Mag on a 50 yard shot on a white tail do I?? How bout a 308 or a 30-06 would work just fine....And there is nothing like putting the shot right there when you need to....I have never done any long range except the time I was going antelope hunting out in very west Texas then the shots were under 400 yards more like 200 to 250 on pdogs.....on shot about 20 of them, I think the outfitter was trying to see what kind of shot I was....LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad