New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Barrelled Actions?  (Read 230 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Barrelled Actions?
« on: February 11, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »
True to my typical ADHD tendencies, I'm starting to get the itch to build myself a bolt gun.  Yeah I know, I can buy a complete factory gun that's more than capable of holding tighter groups than I can squeeze out of it based on my mediocre shooting skills, but I just like building stuff.

Question for you guys - what do you consider to be the best bang for the buck out there in terms of barrelled actions today?  The name that seems to pop up more than any others as I've started sniffing around is Howa, and I don't really see any negative comments about them - what others come to mind?  I'll probably focus on something in the 6 - 6.5 mm range for it, although might go as high as 7mm (something like a 7mm-08, not a magnum.)  Not in any hurry, have some other things on my list first, but thought I'd start gathering some input.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Barrelled Actions?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:10 PM »
sorry, I can't help w/ this from personal experience. I have a buddy that swears by Dakota Arms. I don't know if you can buy individual parts though

enjoy the ride. that will keep you busy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:48:13 PM »
Mad   another option is a savage action with the barrel nut. you can buy prefit barrels and install them yourself. You can do it with a Remington action too. its called the Remage conversion. The prefit barrels can be bought from several of the top barrel makers in many different options.   You can also buy "short chambered barrels" to install and finish chambering with hand tools.     I talk to a gun dealer in South Dakota who goes prairie dog hunting. He has a 700 Rem action and uses a 204 ruger barrel and a .223 fast twist barrel on the same action and stock. I don't know what it all costs but it is another option.      Enjoy the journey

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:51:24 PM »
Notsams, if I mix and match different actions and barrels, would it be recommended to have a gunsmith square things up for me or is it reasonable to expect I can just put it together and go?  Would definitely want to end up with a sub MOA rifle at the end, not planning any thousand yard competition shooting with it however.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 06:54:25 PM »
Notsam's I agree with Mad, you need a gunsmith to true up the barrel to the action...have the smith true up both on the same machine.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »
I haven't dug in real deep because I have a very good gunsmith that lives 35 miles away and is reasonably priced. He fine tunes the actions and installs the barrel for a great price. The gun dealer in SD told me all he uses is a GO or NOGO gauge on his Rem 700. I'll do more research.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 08:04:35 PM »
    E R Shaw has Savage barrel replacement kits in many different caliber and barrel options. The kit includes an E R shaw barrel, barrel nut wrench and GO and NOGO gauges. Prices run from $199 to $233 and reviews look good too.         In order to install on a Rem 700 action there will need to be threads added to the action for the barrel nut. At least that is my understanding.      There is tons of info on this online.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »
Thanks, will go take a look!
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 01:58:05 PM »
Yes, ER Shaw makes some good barrel and so does Douglas and McGowen for the money, I would certainly look at all of them.....it's hard to beat a Shilen, Lilja, Kreiger or Bartlin Barrels....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad