New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Anyone getting a start on land projects yet?  (Read 590 times)

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Anyone getting a start on land projects yet?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
Too wet in Indiana this winter.

Get all muddy just cutting fire wood.

Going to plant about 3 acres of white tail clover this spring. ##$%#1119
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 05:26:14 PM »
grow- loggers are a tough group to trust. there are way too many crooks out there. I went in fairly educated, knowing darn well I wouldn't be able to oversee the cabin project. if I hired a consultant, it was going to be +10k. I figured I would find a guy I figured was OK or better and still be ahead vs paying a consultant.

the cabin is in managed forest crop, so the DNR is involved. the DNR also seems to think my loggers is plating by the rules. i'm leaning on the DNR a little.

i just hope the access roads are in the proper locations. it will be nice to have road access to the back of my place 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
Yeah, if I had any good timber on my place (which I don't), Grow's approach would be mine as well.  Have heard way too many horror stories from friends back home and around here about loggers who failed to fulfill their end of the contract, harvesting extra trees, going across creeks into areas not intended for harvest, not paying for all of the logs taken out, etc.  If you have the time and knowledge to size up the harvest properly in terms of both BF and quality, you can get a lot more from the harvest but it takes some effort for sure.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 08:05:24 PM »
   The snow is 20 inches deep in the woods. Its below zero every night too. I have 2 deer stands to work on this spring and a couple food plots to work on too.

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
No doubt, there are some stereo typical " used car salesman "  Amongst them. But really good guys too.
We monitored timber prices religiously before going ahead. It helps we both went to college, me for recreational land management and Mr. B for forestry. Though neither went into those fields we've kept up over the years. I figure I  was most of their worst nightmare  A owner that actually did know what I was doing. The standard contract had to be tweaked as well. Wording is everything.Lol.
I hope things work out for you. As a  neighbor, that didn't take my advise learned,  it's impossible to get them back once they have left with skidders. Leaving mess of 10" deep ruts everywhere. My guys flatten and cleaned everything plus they cut down the tops . Most home owner wood lot accidents happen when cutting unstable tree tops. Roll overs and snapbacks. Just try having someone drop a chunk of fire wood against your face, shin or foot, let alone a whole limb or trunk.

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 08:16:22 PM »
Well guys I've been building blinds over the last few years. I did want some new stands to replace old ones, but now I'm looking into saddle hunting. One more thing to take up a ton of time searching before pulling the trigger on anything. In the mean time I have fruit trees to trim as wel!.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:21:10 PM by growalot »

Offline psebg65

• 6 Point
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
Would love to be able to get out and do some work at our lease.  However, the loggers started clear cutting around the first of the year and stopped due to the remaining areas being too wet.  No sense doing anything until they complete their work.  I realize they are doing the job they were hired to do but they really could be a little more considerate than destroying the roads and leaving a huge mess in their wake.  Just hope they are able to get back and finish the job before summer so we can have time to get things taken care of before hunting season starts.
There is nothing more beautiful than sitting in a treestand watching the world come alive.
A bad day of hunting is better than any day at work.

Online OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 09:48:36 AM »
STILL HAVE LOTS OF TRASH FROM OUR RECENT CLEAR CUT IN DEC.  WILL NEED CHAINSAW AND LOTS OF GAS . 
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

New Page 3

Google Ad