New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Anyone getting a start on land projects yet?  (Read 564 times)

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Anyone getting a start on land projects yet?
« on: February 05, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »

Over the last few years I've been doing a lot of wood lot work. I started with cutting down the clusters of  yellow poplar. We have 3 clusters and then some scattered trees. Today I got the lower cluster cut. They were timber sized and dropped pretty well with just a couple of hang ups. These will require winch work. I also have been dropping dead pole trees and damaged maples that are in various stages of rot. Then those crowding the red oak in the oak flats.

I do this in the winter so the deer have browse to carry them into spring. Today I saw the turkey really like tops as well. When I pulled up in the gator I viewed the flock of turkey where I have been cutting. 32 of them walking amongst the downed tops.

I let most of these lay but some will get cut just before things warm up and go on to my many yards of brush like fencing. I had ticks embed 2 different times last year. This with both clothes and myself sprayed. Now I avoid leaf litter and tall grass in warm weather.

So that's my head start what's yours?

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Anyone getting a start on land projects yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:14:06 PM »
Most of my projects have been related to the pond that I rehabbed a couple of years ago.  Still have some spoil dirt to move and level but nearly done.  Aside from that it's maintaining existing plots and planting more trees.  Will be a couple months before I can do much out there.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline growalot

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 05:59:02 AM »
I envy you a pond, we have a seasonal one,I want to make year round. We have a dozer,but that's a story...lol I have been cutting the trees around that area hoping to light a fire under, if you get my meaning. There was a test hole dug many years ago and it has a vein of grey clay.
I also have been planting trees, I have a bunch arriving this spring. I'm trying the Arbor  day ones for the first time and DEC concolor fir which I love.All told around 40 trees. Then each year I add another  Dunstan chest nut or two..I love those trees! Hoping to have 4 nuts rooting in fridge as well.I
 Same on plots but I have added a few and I  have put in "hay plots" in a couple of smaller areas.A mixed grass legume hay that will be good turkey bugging and fawn hiding areas. The deer travel these often. I've gotten wary fighting weeds, I'm going toward mainly fall/winter crops now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:03:46 AM by growalot »

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
i have a selective cut at my place this winter. if i ever get a weather break i need to check it out. they weather has been perfect for the loggers. cold and not much snow up there.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
Yep, I have been holding the chainsaw quite a bit lately with lots more to go.  We have been pushing and pulling trees/brush into piles and using what we can for firewood.  We will be installing a few wood duck boxes in the next few weeks as well.  The pole saw will be getting a lot of use in the near future as well.  We always try to do any "tree work" before leaves get on the trees.  We have been scouting where to put plots this coming year.  We are going to abandon one we put in and move it to another location in addition to another new one.  This will give us four total.  Gonna plant all of them in oats in order to build up the sandy soil as Puddle Jumper recommended (anybody ever tried buckwheat, if so do deer like it?). Also, I will be taking soil samples soon when it dries out a little.   

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
ben- i've heard great things about buckwheat for improving soil. it is also attractive to deer, but i believe in the summer and not fall is my understanding
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline growalot

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 03:10:27 PM »
KB ,I
 I was planting buckwheat many many years ago before it got fashionable for food plots. Many  told me I was crazy that deer don't like it. Well someone forgot to tell.the deer here. I started using it as a good soil building food and BTW have game birds? They like the seeds. Have fruit trees? Well it draws in honey bees big time and helps with  pollination and the bee population . Have small plots you'd like to try beans in? Then go with cow peas and buckwheat together. The buck wheat grow  faster and taller at first. Deer browse,they do not graze as sheep and cows. They hit the tallest plants as they move through an area giving the small plants time to get to a somewhat safe  browsing height. That has been my personal experience over nearly two decades.
PS. I timber cut using my sthle pole pruner. I should be a commercial for now rigged they are. Mr  B. won't let me use the chain saw when I'm home alone. So he bought me the sthle a very long time ago. I think 12years now. Figured it would keep me safely away from the chain . Little did he know I would learn to cut timber sized trees down with it. I have 5 chain and rotate them out often, watch my bar oil closely and clean it often.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:14:26 PM by growalot »

Offline growalot

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »
KB,
 Let me also add that I look to plants on a multi layered level besides soil and attractiveness, nutrition is big. What do antlers need and when? Phosphorus and calcium. What plants supply this in digestion of the primer plant and subsequent plants planted after the prime plant leaches it's scavenged nutrients. Buckwheat is a short crop plant. It does not tolerate frosts. It is highly weed control effective.  But plant it late with a winter grain it will nurse the grain ,die in a frost and leach it's nutrients out for spring green up in the spring crops with the nutrients the buckwheat scavenged with  it's deep roots the fall before.
 This goes for many other crops and the combination of plants grown together. Look into organic cover cropping and interplanting crops.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »
I've never planted buckwheat alone but had it in some different blends - it grew well and the deer really did seem to hit it hard.  A lot of those same blends had turnips & radishes, but frankly my local herd just doesn't seem to go for those, even after a hard frost.  I may give Grow's buckwheat & cow pea blend a shot, that approach makes sense. 

I need to renew my chicory planting this year, it's 3-4 years old and getting overtaken with clover.  This is the first time I did chicory but pleased with it.  Will also save a spot again for some WTI Powerplant - that stuff is a big hit here, particularly late winter when weather gets bitter cold and the snow gets deep.  Surprisingly the deer don't hit it hard early on (they're in it, but not tearing it up), I suspect that's because they have enough standing corn & soybeans here in the hundreds of tillable acres around me.
and enjoy it!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 11:28:33 AM »
its been so wet here in Kentucky this year that we havent had a chance to do anything!

PS... good to hear from you again, Grow...   @--0--0118
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 04:41:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies regarding buckwheat fellas.  I think I will plant it in spring, after the last frost, let it grow, bloom and run it's cycle helping out the turkey, quail and bee populations.  Then plant oats as normal for the fall season.

Offline growalot

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
Hey Yari,
 Sorry I missed your question. We had a ton of snow early last season then a warmup. Snow then melts, like everyone the vortex craziness. Logging here took place a couple of years ago. That being neighboring properties. We were contacted last week by a logger interested in our blk. Walnuts. Problem is they are in my swamp sanctuary and it has no access. Not to mention above and underground springs that run year round. Though keep these guys talking long enough and wow what you will learn. A lot  about surrounding land owners and the guys themselves. Like him knowing only that I was a woman. I stated problem is the soil stability and heavy equipment. To which he said Oh no nothing heavier than a common pickup. LOL Why I've never seen a skidder that small. Let alone that small being able to haul out blk. Walnut logs while not causing damage in a swamp area.Walnut is very big right now.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
My bro in law had loggers in on his place about 10 years ago, primarily after the walnut trees there too.  He has a mix of hills and creek bottom - in general these guys didn't want to mess with the trees down in the bottom, as they said the continual moisture led to fast growth and a lot of sapwood, which significantly reduces the yield of premium walnut lumber out of a given log.  Grow - I would think your walnuts growing in the swampy areas would be prone to the same, but maybe all loggers don't share that view on what they harvest.

But no - they don't make any log skidders the size of a pickup truck - those wouldn't work very well in the timber industry!
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »
grow- like mad said, swamp black walnuts often get a soft center in swampy areas, and other areas for that matter. i know a guy that was told he would make a fortune for his black walnut fence rows. he got almost nothing because the logger said the centers were all soft. now he doesn't have the money and no fence rows

be careful
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline growalot

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 02:34:55 PM »
Sometimes these guys make me laugh. When I heard what he wanted the very first thing I told him was, " that would be nice but I've been watching them for years and they aren't worth it. "  That it definitely would not off set the land damage. I did a lot to let him know I knew what I was talking about ,but he plugged on. Many years ago I finally got Mr. B. to agree to a logging on one section. I found the loggers. Let them know it was a bidding job and gave them the colors to mark. Then walked the entire place with each logger and my own Doyle scale. Got all the marking done then called the DEC to come in with a second opinion on trees. He was close.
 We both went over pricing based on BF and went with a non stump price. We had it cut and then bidders from Canada came into grade the logs on site . Made near double the money because I and the cutters knew we had veneer logs. Their cut was a split % based on buyers pricing. Best price for us and they paid for the trucking.
Man it was crazy how far off some of those guys tried to be...lol some were mad when at the end of the walk through I walked them two perfect trees and asked them to estimate the footage. That was to be compared to all other bidders footage. One was over a hundred BF off on each tree compared to the others. Perhaps on purpose IDK..It was interesting and educational though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:37:25 PM by growalot »

New Page 3

Google Ad