New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Rangefinders...  (Read 2981 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Rangefinders...
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 11:07:17 PM »
Dave - Congrats to be away from Dick's......But, No, I will not tell you that your Halo is junk at all, I like mine a lot and it is good for the money. The Halo SL650 and the Huepar HLR1000 and the Wosports are all class 1 lasers and they are the basic range finer with similar function to the big boys. My Reference Rangefinder is the Leica 900. I measure all of the inexpensive rangefinders against it to check on clarity, focus and accuracy of those less expensive....

With your experience, you should be telling all of us on TH, what is good and what is bad, based of your job knowledge.....I am just your average deer hunter trying to save folks money when it comes to products .

I have always wondered why products cost so much compared to the 1980 and 1990, because back then you could get good products, it is marketing, research and development or is it profit driven? The inexpensive rangefinders (under $125) perform all the function (and then some) of the big boys, such as Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, etc.

Sundowner is on the edge of technology with the blue tooth function of the ATN and SIG and ??? products. So its coming. Do I want this technology? it depends on when and where you hunt at....in GA where I hunt at, take distance reading every time I get into the stand or blind and try to remember them, especially during Archery season...but I don;t have time to take do the SIG-SAUER and the ATN functions, if I did the deer would be long gone.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 11:07:17 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2019, 06:28:24 AM »
Went ahead and purchased a SIG-Sauer Kilo850 from Amazon early this morning, will explain that I was asleep when I purchase it.....was right at my limit of $125 for inexpensive rangefinders....this was at $127.99...I have several other Sig products such as three riflescopes, they are good quality for the money and hope this rangefinder is the same. This will be the last one I order....I am getting almost rangefinders and I was looking at the yesterday afternoon and I can tell that I am getting old becuase of the ages and quality of each rangefinder, I sort of line them up and will post a good pix of all of them once I get this Sig Kilo850 in and play with it for a few days....

The rangefinders range from a 400 yard one that takes both hands to hold and it is a one eye heavy monster...LOL...to the latest Sig Kilo850....but have been eyeing this Sig for several months now.....

The rangefinders will not get out of hand like the Binoculars did, 17 pairs of binos, that was way to many of them.....but two pairs stood out the most of the $200 that I paid for each of them....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2019, 08:12:30 AM »
sig 850 is what I have well had the daughter husband to be has it works great the halo's that were at work were low end and had to many problems with them the higher end ones seemed better now don't get me started on guns tc had two recalls on them so they don't sell at the store mossburg , savage and Remington sold fine. at the store were I was it was a anti gun city but outlining was hunting shotgun only in the county. all around it was rifle counties so I had fun there

##$%#1118
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2019, 05:38:20 PM »
Thanks   Dave - I order a new Sig Kilo850 this morning after getting off of TH this morning, should be in sometimes next week. How do you like your 850? How long have you had it and has it served you will in the woods.....

Attached, as promised, is a picture of my current rangefinder inventory. From right to left, it was the order in which I bought them. The first two (both Bushnell) on the right took 9V batteries and the 5 others take a CR2 battery,

Starting with the RF at the right hand side, it is with Bushnell 800 yard, next right was the Bushnell 600 (small version of the Bushnell 800), third from the right is the Trusted Leica 1200, it did not come with any case or lanyard (had one and put it on) The forth one from the right is the Bushnell Bone Collector that I got a few years back, next one is the Halo650, it did not come with any case, so I keep it in a old sandwich container fits in it pretty good. The second one in from the left is the Wosports, this one is the heaviest one of the last four that I have purchased. It did come with a nice case....the fatherest RF on the left is the Huepar, the one with the external side panel. That makes up all 7 of them....will get the SIG Kilo850 and that will be it for this year....have spent enough of Rangefinders this year, along with a Christensen Arm Timberline 6.5 PRC with a Leupold VX5-HD and will be getting a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor topped with a ??? (have not made a decision on the scope yet). This will be my second 6.5 CM. Have a Savage BA 10 Stealth in 6.5 CM that I got at Gander Mtn store before it close a few years ago...the darn thing shoots 1" groups at 200 yards! Amazing shooter....

Enjoy....hope this helps.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 02:22:56 PM »
The Sig Kilo850 arrived this morning and ever since, I have been outside trying it out....and finding out things about it.....attached is a pix of what came with the Kilo850.....
A nice functional carry case, a long lanyard, a CR2 battery, a nice box, and instructions....made in China of course...I guess I need to read the owners manual cause when I push the mode button, nothing happens, at least as far as I can tell, for now. The glass is excellent and the 4X20mm is very good for it's size...with the eye piece adjustable for all eyes. The lanyard is a very long will made one. Should last you for years. It has no 1/4-20 TPI For mounting on a tripod.

Took the Leica 1200 and measure it against it as far as accuracy goes, it was the same as all of them, within a yard, some read 237.9 as the others read 237.7 to 239.1 yards so it is close enough to use for either archery or muzzle loader season....The glass is excellent, I would rank it second or third as far as clarity goes....

Like all of them the numbers are small black LED that might have a problem showing up in a blind with a black background....but if you are going to use it for ranging a place, then it would be fine for that....all in all, glad I bought it....Will take it to the range with me this Thursday 7-11, Range Day, in the late PM.....

Did take the last three RF outside and did the drop test in the yard, dropped them all from about 4 ft up and the all survived and read the same distance as before the drop, been meaning to do this drop test for a few weeks now, so today was the day.....

Four Hours Later (9:30 PM) - It helps to read the owners manual....You got to hold the mode button 10 seconds before it will change modes....I was having the mode the ATM mode. it was OK but since I have change mode to LOS (line of sight) it gives me the distance from line of sight plus the distance plus or minus and the angle in which I did the last reading....so Daaaa on me, again....will continue to try different modes on it.....

July 10th - Yesterday, I was busy resizing brass and in between calibers, I got more familiar with the SIG Kilo850 and took it outside and as I have stated, it took me a while to get use to the mode functions and finally read the owners manual...Daaa...to figure out what is what with it....what I have settled on it the LOS which stands for Line of Sight and Best in the view finder....it give you the angle and the true distance in three different reading...This is really good but it takes a few seconds maybe 5 to go through the distances and angle setting to be displayed (both down and up hill). The more I thought of it the more I will take the first reading and then put it down and not wait for the other distances (if any changes) and the angle that is runs through it sequence, because it slows down the hunter when he/she is getting ready for the shot (archery) if you look at the shows on TV how long does the archery hunters take a reading of distance to the deer? Not long at all...now if you are a gun hunter, and live out West, then you might want to take the time in the readings.....hope everyone understands me on that.....

But the Kilo850 has a 4X magnification and the glass is similar to the Leica glass, it is very sharp and you can adjust it to your own eye with the eye adjustment viewfinder and if you hold the range button down it will continuously range the distance, so I like that feature of it (excepts it will eat the battery, like the other RF that I own).....like the Glass and the magnification is adequate at 4X....rest of them are 6X....   

All in all, they are the same but different, will take these Kilo down with me (along with the other 4 that I have recently purchased) when I head South for our annual 2 week hunt in GA.....

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:26:03 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2019, 05:15:26 AM »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2019, 08:20:24 AM »
Bo, for archery, I use the rangefinder only to range some landmarks in the vicinity of the stand (places where I have reasonable shooting lanes) then put it away.  As you stated, there's no time and frankly no tolerance for extra movement once an animal shows up to play with the rangefinder.  Now I'm also only shooting with one pin and shots are generally well within 25 yards so range is less critical.  I suppose if I was in a blind hunting on a food plot where shots could be longer and less landmarks to judge the range by, I might use it on a calm feeding animal.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2019, 09:45:55 AM »
does 'angle modified' mean angle compensating? heck of a price if it is angle compensating 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2019, 02:39:59 PM »
Yari - Yes, all my cheapie one has the Angle compensation built in.....the latest SIG - and the setting I chosen to use the RF will shoot the distance first, then it will flash 2 the real distance and the third reading in the screen will be the angle up or down....the Huepar HLR1000 displays both on the internal VF and external panel....the last three RF has all the angle compensation built in them...funny but it sure seems like the cheaper ones incorporates all the features first, then the major manufacturers put this tech into their models....

What other tech do these big boys toys have in them just wait a year of two before making them available to the consumer...wish I could be a fly on the wall at some of their meetings!!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad