New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Rangefinders...  (Read 253 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Rangefinders...
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
bo-it's the same vintage. 9V battery type.

here's one issue I have w/ my leica RF/bino. the RF is on the left side. i'm right handed so if I'm bow hunting, I have to move the bow to my right hand to range anything. that is a poor feature for a right handed shooter. the reason I bring it up is the vortex 5000 RF made a point of saying it has a right RF button. for a bowhunter, it creates a lot of unnecessary movement.

if the bino part of the leicas wasn't so good, this poor design might make me look elsewhere 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »
Yari - My Leica Binoculars have both eye adjustments...does your RF/Bino has them??

For my whole life thought that I was left eye dominate, well I was wrong, after covering them up one at a time, the left eye was a little fuzzy (not much) and the right eye was super clear...The eye doctor for some real deep photos of the old eye ball, no dilation required, got a good lesson in eye ball design. Got a copy of the photos of my eye balls, learned a lot about the eye...he did tell me that he was surprise that I did not have any signs of Glaucoma and Cataracts and that my eyes were in great shape..he asked me what strength did I use and I told him 1.25 he was surprised by my answer....wish the body was in as good of shape as my eyeballs were   

My eye doc turns out to be a pistol shooter and both he and his wife pack, he shoot a Sig P320 and she shoots a Glock 43 both in 9mm. I was asking him about this ammo and told me that he shoots at a very close to his work an indoor range and shoots there 115 gn ammo, both him and his wife use the same ammo...I told him that he needed to experiment with different ammo to find out what each like and doesn't like.... 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 09:35:45 PM »
Bo - on the subject of eye dominance, the "clear" eye is not necessarily the dominant one. I believe it trends in that direction but doesn't have to be.  I've always been very strongly right eye dominant even though my eyes were pretty equal, and now that my left eye seems to be a little bit better than the right, I'm still just as strongly right eye dominant (can't teach an old dog new tricks?) Here's a good article on eye dominance.

https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/cet/2016/06/20/the-importance-and-relevance-of-eye-dominance-part-1/article
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
bo- yes both eyes are adjustable like most binos, but the RF button is on the left side. not good for a right handed shooter
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
Yari - The only binoculars that has both eye diopter adjustment are the old small Leupold (made by Leica), all my other binocular have one (generally the right eye) adjustment, even my Swarovski EL's, Steiner's Peregrine and the Gold Ring Leupolds....and others have only one diopter adjust to them....

A good sight to visit is:

https://www.schott.com/advanced_optics/english/products/optical-materials/optical-glass/optical-glass/index.html
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 08:43:14 AM »
Have been looking at Rangefinders for about 3 constant weeks now and cannot imagine a 600 yard or beyond on shot on deer or Elk....these modern day rangefinders (RF) are mind blogging to say the least...

Go to Midway, Optic Planet, Cablea's or Gunwurks and read about the RF they are offering....amazing...After watching show on TV about western hunting, I can see where you would need one, but hunting down South in the thick woods don't see where you need one of these mile or 9999 yard or even a 1000 yard RF....so in buying one, you have to consider where you are hunting at....

Now having said that, about hunting in the deep thick woods of the South, if you lease your land, then clear cutting is a real possibility like where we are hunting now. About 5 years ago, they started clear cutting and it has taken for that long to get the woods where you will to hunt at....they are replacing the hardwood trees with Pine trees...according to the loggers it was time that the land be logged...we had some really big Pines where the center of the trees are rotten out....we did loose some white oaks but it was OK, the loggers were deer hunters too and they did cut (no pun intended) us some slack when it came to taking down trees on the edge of the cut line, they did leave them. Their method is to logged the land and that will leave a big mess, come with bulldozers and pilled up the leftover tops and misc logs, then let it lie for a couple of years then burn and their final phase is to replace the new seedlings pine trees.....that is the short version of what they are doing....it has not hurt the deer hunting at all, so many deer was spotted and shot at after they had burned the land, it was still smoking and the deer was crossing was spotted crossing or in the burnt areas....

You do need a RF for those time only, and so many of our members were shooting under these deer....but after 5 years or so, you will not have to use them at all...and the distances down South are closer than you think they are....where we thinking of an area that is 300 yards away, it is only 175 yards...LOL....

Here are my recommendations for the Deep South you may need a 600 yard RF. For the Midwest and West you do need those longer RF say 1300 yards and you better not be hunting with a 308 Win if you hunt out west....LOL...more like a 270, 30-06 and 280 or larger caliber no short range here...

So where you hunt and what you hunt will determine what type (and how much you pay for it) RF.....you got to consider all factors....but everyone needs a RF as well as a good pair of binoculars.....JMO...more later....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 06:09:10 AM »
Went ahead and ordered viva Amazon another rangefinder, this one was $80....wow, really cheap. It was 5 stars with 56 reviews, so I ordered it, Yari isn't going to like it.....it is a WoSports model that is good out to 650 yards, that is plenty enough distance for me...and for where I hunt, it is more than plenty...heck, most places you cannot see a deer more than about 100 yards and if you are hunting in one of those few areas where you can see than a 100 yards, you won't be to see or recognized the deer.....

Again, it is not waterproof, but water resistant...that the standard CR2 battery and next time (this week) will head to Sam's will be looking for some at the Duracell display...will need another case for it as well....

Should be here late next week......Bo

Been looking at Nikon and Leupold so I still thinking about them.....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:25:01 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »
Wow, I forgot about the Bushnell 400. I may still have it. I will rummage thru my stuff to see if I still have it!

And before that I had some green thing you have to move a knob to get 2 lines together and check the top of the dial to fund out yardard. I thought the Bushnell 400 was a step up LOL

I have a Bushnel night monocular. Big, heavy , bulky , fair to poor night vision  --7-8-9
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:32:22 PM by Flintlock1776 »
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
yep, I started w/ a bow RF that you had to move into focus to get the distance. I was lucky to get it w/I 5 yards. i'd need several reading and take an average. I normally didn't have that kind of time. it's probably still around here somewhere
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 07:40:03 AM »
I have one of those old dial type archery rangefinders too, I think it was claimed to be good for 70 yards.  Pretty clunky.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
The WoSports Rangefinder (RF) arrived today and in the Amazon Box there was no packing, no absorbing materials and it just flopped around in the box...quick I saw what I had and the $80 RF came with a nice nylon case and a lanyard that my wife ended up installing....Inserted the 3V CR2 battery that was included in the nylon case....dropped it from 3 ft on the carpet and then on the finished concrete in the garage, it survived those test...there are two buttons on the top. One for the golf and one for the hunter, finally read the instructions...one thing I did like was the 6X eyepiece was adjustable to your eye!! This is the first I have seen on the cheapie RF....the info inside the viewing is pretty much standard, you hold down for the scan mode and it has a light bolt that flashes when you are in the scan mode, has a battery mode, according to the instruction and the digital readout goes to one place like 222.2 yards....interesting....

Yari - It did survive the drop test on both surfaces, not surprised if you had saw how they packed it in the Amazon box...it was basically a small box in a medium size box, it just went side to side, up and down. When the misses went to get it, she shook it like it was something else in it, besides optics...you know how people will put the box up to their ear and shake it and try to listen...this exactly what Mrs Bo did....but it did survive the two drops at 3 ft...next (tomorrow will come the rain text to see if it is water resistant. The Box calls for the RF to be water resistance just like the Halo 600....

What I like about it, it is beefier than the Halo, it does seem a little tougher than the Halo or even the Bone Collector RF, but only time will tell, The 6X eyepiece is adjustable to you eye...had to make several adjustments on it before it came into focus into my eye....like the fact that it came with a Nylon Black Case, with Lanyard...and it came with a 3V battery...

What I don't like is everytime you range an object with it, you can hear a motor or something inside the RF. It only last a second and it has to do something with calculating the range...other than that it seems to be OK, Last week went through all my optics and pulled out the RF all 5 of them. The old 800 9V battery was still in. Of course it was dead and replaced the battery and it worked as good as new....will replace the 600 9V as well, it still had a little life in it.....will go through tomorrow and remove all the batteries and put them somewhere handy....but long term storage is not battery friendly....

Attached are four photos of the WoSports....

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:48:01 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
i'm surprised it lasted the drops. is it line of sight or angle compensating? 600 yards?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 06:38:50 PM »
The WoSports is a line of sight so it the Bone Collector and the rest of my RF....the Halo is an automatic adjustment no matter at what angle, it gives you the straight line distance.....

The Halo is 600 yards and the WoSports is 650...the Bone Collector is 600 also.....

Next one will be a RF with angle compensation!!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:52:54 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »
This morning sprayed the WoSport RF down with Water, no submerging of this one and the Halo.....Let it set for an hour and then dried it off and began to use it, no issues, but did do a "field comparison" between the Bone Collector, Halo 600 and the WoSports....no doubt that all three were made in China...the rain has stopped temporarily for now and was just came in from comparing all three RF...

The one I would be scared of breaking is the Halo (as Yari suggests). It is lighter than the rest of the RF and cannot take a blow like the others can...hopefully will never find that out.....the best one by far is the Bushnell Bone Collector and the most expensive at a whopping $130 from Amazon....have used it for a year in the woods for a year and have thrown it around some in my day pack....The WoSport is growing on me a bit...small and goes to the tenth of the range like 222.4 yards, and you guys know I all about accuracy. The rest just round up or down to the nearest yard....had to get use to that...just wondering how long each battery will last in the Halo and the WoSports....The slight noise coming from the WoSport RF, they don't say anything about it in the owners manual and this of all the RF that I own, makes such a noise!! so don't know if it is calculating or what it is doing? My other RF are quiet and wonder if this operation will eat up the battery life quicker? Just thinking out loud....   

The distances are the same for all three of them for the 5 objects "shot" with the RF...so for now all three are good RF with the edge going towards the WoSports because of the price and not worried at this time about the noise, which you can hear barely at 5 or 6 ft away from you, but you have to be listening for that specific noise......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 03:37:30 PM »
noise from 5-6' for us would be at least 50-60' for a deer. I don't know if it would scare a deer, but it might make them uneasy

it would be very helpful to know if it was 23.2 or 23.9 yards @--0--0105 the detail might be fun, but not practical for hunting or golf IMO. I can't figure out why they would even bother making the program/software to create a decimal measurement@--0--0117

good info bo
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad