New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Rangefinders...  (Read 664 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Rangefinders...
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:44:27 AM »
Just like a good pair of smaller binoculars, we all need a rangefinder every now and then.....so I am embarking on a "good for the money" rangefinder (RFR) mission....have anybody check Amazon...Wow, you can get off brand RFR for under $100....most of them are 6X and 7X magnification...but not sure about the quality of the glass they use, I will bet some of them are made with plastic lenses...humm...and I bet some of their bodies are not built to take impact and keep on working...I maybe wrong, not sure....

After said that, I do own a bunch of RFR's...my reference is a Leica 900 with 6X magnification...the best at the time on the market. It has been own 2 Safari's...over there you will need a long range for me...My guide told me to make sure that everything (rifle) I bring over was sighted in for 200 yards.....a few years ago I bought a Bone Collector RFR for about $140 and it has served me well....but over the years, have bought probably 4 or 5 pairs that I still own, first ones were Bushnell (matter of fact all have been Bushnell) that you needed to hold them with both hands and the range was 400, next came the same design a few years later for 800 yards (these went with me to Colorado) next came a pair that you could hold with one hand and new design for 600 yards, so I bought them along with a Bushnell Spacemaster Spotting scope 15-45 x 60 and a Remington 700 LTR in 308 (my first short heavy barrel 308, one of many these days) and the Bushnell RFR was just part of the package, gave the guy $950 for all three - the rifle, the spotting scope and the RFR...and the rifle had a 16X42 mil dot scope on it...sold it to a guy at work...and put a Nikon Monarch 1.5-6X on it.....so I own about 5 pair of RFR....

Has anybody been looking at the Golfing RFR? they are often cheaper and of course measuring less distance say out to 450 to 750 yards in distance...but these RFR are much cheaper than the ones in the hunting section....look at Halo, Wosports, TecTecTec, Bozily, AOFAR to mention a few that I have been looking at...all of these manufacturers off models well under $100 if you are interested.....

Will order a cheap RFR today or tomorrow and will compare it against the Leica 900.....will keep you posted...

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
Re: Rangefinders...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »
i have the sig 850 and love it end up getting it for around 100 a deal i fell into go to opticsplant .com they have a good read on the difference
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:39:31 AM by dave 1211 »
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »
are the cheap ones waterproof? I would be surprised if there was any comparison between the leicas and the $100 ones

keep us posted. I got my leicas, so i'm set
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
Yari - Just purchased a Halo 650 and it suppose to be water resistant, we all know what that means...It cost, including tax and shipping $108....so will see, what happens....I know what I did for my reference Leica 900, which I am not telling everyone to do, actually not telling anyone to do what I did to mine...LOL...

I first do my measurements to known objects, write it down somewhere, then I get a yard stick and drop the the Leica from 3 ft to the ground, still works just fine. Next, I take it and do the same test on the wooden deck, and the final impact was on concrete walkway...still work good, next I do the water text, will see if the Rangefinder truly waterproof as advertise, I will splash it with water, then soak it in a baking pan and fill it with half water and see if it survives that test and the final water test I will submerge it a little and let it stay in the water for a minute or so and the dry it off and check out the distance to an known object....This is what I have done to all my Rangefinders from the Leica to the Bushnell Bone Collector....so far so good, never had to return one, but there is always a first....will do my so called "test" on the Halo when I get it.....

More later...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
Yari - Just purchased a Halo 650 and it suppose to be water resistant, we all know what that means...It cost, including tax and shipping $108....so will see, what happens....I know what I did for my reference Leica 900, which I am not telling everyone to do, actually not telling anyone to do what I did to mine...LOL...

I first do my measurements to known objects, write it down somewhere, then I get a yard stick and drop the the Leica from 3 ft to the ground, still works just fine. Next, I take it and do the same test on the wooden deck, and the final impact was on concrete walkway...still work good, next I do the water text, will see if the Rangefinder truly waterproof as advertise, I will splash it with water, then soak it in a baking pan and fill it with half water and see if it survives that test and the final water test I will submerge it a little and let it stay in the water for a minute or so and the dry it off and check out the distance to an known object....This is what I have done to all my Rangefinders from the Leica to the Bushnell Bone Collector....so far so good, never had to return one, but there is always a first....will do my so called "test" on the Halo when I get it.....

More later...

I sell halo's at work not impressed with them

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:42:38 AM »
Dave - What store do you work at?? Knowing that you are in the loop more than most of us here you are probably right on most products....we shall see.....what brands do you guys sell the most of ??. What brands do you have the most returns with ??.
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 06:07:29 PM »
The Halo 600 came was delivered by UPS early afternoon and so I start out quickly doing my test...believe it or not did read the owner's manual on it at least the first few pages especially the quick set up section...after that it was easy to figure out...came with a Lanyard and CR2 Battery and cleaning cloth....will need to get a case for it...

I figured I'd better do some of my test today since tomorrow I am having an eye exam and they are going to dilate my eyes for the first time ever!! I'm 69 years young and never had them dilated before, had the air puffed into them before but never dilated!!....I will be out of commission for a few hours...

Started by making sure the CR2 battery that was supplied with the RF was 3.0 volts...my old Fluke 77 read 2.941 volts once I got it put in, that seemed to be enough voltage to work the RF just fine....then I did my drop test, dropped it from 3 ft on the carpet, next I took it outside and dropped it on the ground....and finally dropped on the patio and it all seem to work good....it has been raining most of the day here I decide to combine two of my test...left it on the deck during the rain, the back of the package said to be water resistance, so far so good, had to clean off the lenses with a Ziess clothe wipe. Then it was time to do the distance test....it seemed to be good out to 166 yards, maybe it is where I hit the target at but the Leica stated 167 yards and the Halo stated 166 yards...next tired a farther away at 235 and both the Halo and the Leica read the same 235 yards....so far so good...

Overall comments - It is light weight, quick response, quicker than my Leica is, the target box could have been bigger, and more illuminated. Never had an Inclinator before in a RF, so I cannot say where the angle was right or not, could not say if it compensated for the angle of the dangle or not....
What I did not like about it was that it was very light weight, much lighter than the Leica or the Bone Collector was, and the light weight means that they must have use plastic lenses instead of glass the optic range....

Will not push it as far as the water testing goes, will not submerge it like the others I have. Think that it does serve my purpose, shot the ranges in it about 50 times today and wonder how long the battery last..next time at Sam's will look for a 10 pack and try to buy them them....

Was it worth it? - Yes, For the money? Yes, Could make improvements? - Definitely a Yes....the visual is weak and the letters need to be bigger, not in the same class as the Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell or Leica, but it does work. Will it last? Only time will tell...going to it onto the RF pile and use it for a few years and see what happens.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:19 PM »
Dave - What store do you work at?? Knowing that you are in the loop more than most of us here you are probably right on most products....we shall see.....what brands do you guys sell the most of ??. What brands do you have the most returns with ??.

I work at dicks sporting goods we sell halo, sig, Nikons, and vortex. halos seem to come back more then any other we have 600 700 and 900 in halos

dave 1211

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 07:56:37 PM »
I have a Leupold and Nikon RF. Leupold was the first one but I may be partial to the Nikon. Both gphave automatic adjustments for uphill and downhill shots.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »
good info. the price is right, but i'm guessing there are some downsides
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 04:36:48 AM »
Guys - Thanks for the info....I will keep this in mind, especially about the Halo...for now I will keep it and see what happens will keep you guys posted....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 10:04:35 AM »
my leica replaced my bushnell RF. i needed something longer range for SD. there was nothing wrong w/ the old RF. i had it for years and beat it up pretty good. it's glass wasn't great so low light was tough and it wasn't 6x or 7x like the new ones. it was functional and make well though
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 11:21:36 AM »
Yari - I had a Bushnell 400 RF that look like a pair of binoculars, the very first generation well over 20 years ago sold that one....then bought another Bushnell 800 RF...Still have that one and Bushnell smaller design 600X RF, the first and next was the Leica 900, and then the Bone Collector a couple of years ago for $140....still have all of them except the first RF that was the Bushnell 400.....

As you said there is nothing wrong with them at all, they all work just fine. Have removed the battery is most of them so the battery doesn't corrode the internals of the RF.....

The Halo will not shoot through glass like some of my others will do...that is a bummer, but with the Leica RF and the Bone Collector RF works just fine. Last year carried the Bone Collector RF most of the season....will need to get a soft case for the Halo first....

Now will order a Leupold RF and check them out...maybe a cheap one.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »
I believe mine is a bushnell 400. I still use it for reference when I shoot my bow before season.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 05:56:41 PM »
Both my 400 and 800 uses the 9V battery....was going through them tonight in the gun room gathering them all us and took the batteries out of all of them...the 9V were dead of course and the AA were weak so I replaced those and my Lithium CR2 Batteries were still up there , just took them out of the Leica and have extra battery for it, but purchased an extra CR2 battery way back when and even the spare has almost 3 Volts of juice left in them.....Also found my used very little vintage Bushnell Night Vision Binoculars when I was looking for all the rangefinders.

Found a case for the new Halo 600, it was a Grocery Store Shredded Ham container, fits perfectly....Will put them all in one spot tomorrow morning say around 3AM...LOL.....

Does anybody else have an Bushnell 400 or 800 beside Yari and myself?? You know the ones that you have to hold with both hands and has only one eye piece in the rear that you use....

Have a Bushnell Night Vision is set up the same way. The Night Vision and it is good for about 75 Yards, can see anything that moves in the back yard....it takes a 9V battery also...it was dead as a door nail....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad