New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: He won - maybe next year!  (Read 226 times)

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
He won - maybe next year!
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:45:55 PM »
Today was the final day of our archery season.  We have a bunch of snow on the ground and some frigid temps, which isn't bad for deer movement if you have a food source to hunt, but we have a layer of frozen rain in there so moving to your hunting area quietly just isn't possible.

The area I normally bowhunt requires a long walk & is heavily drifted, I hunted it Friday afternoon but probably should have just stayed home.  Saw nothing on the stand, then had a doe & her twins scoot off as I was walking out (crunching all the way).  Yesterday evening just after dark I saw some deer in the food plot behind the house, 4 in total with one being a nice buck.   Actually had the presence of mind Friday morning to make a pass back there with the tractor (too lazy to walk as I was swapping my camera cards) so this afternoon I actually had a reasonably good opportunity to get back there in those tracks without crunching through the ice layer.  I figured there was a good chance they'd be back in that plot in the evening.  Only problem is it's a relatively open area, we have strong north winds, and my stand back in that corner is the only place I'd be in Xbow range but it's just north of the funnel they'd come through.  Well heck - last day of the season, what else can you do but go for it?  Based on the wind chills I went out as late as I dared, about 3:30.  About 4:45 the sun is nearly setting and I catch some movement.  Here he comes, heading for the plot.  I was on my feet facing south already when I spotted him.  Watched him jump the fence from south neighbor's pasture into east neighbor's timber and start walking towards our line - I'm sitting right on the line in a big old cottonwood.  Got a decent look at him - he's a wide 8 pointer that I saw a couple of times over at the place I normally bowhunt.  Had my X-bow in hand, safety off, waiting for him to come out on the other side of the big old cottonwood & step onto my side, he's about 12 yards from me, almost straight to my south.  You guessed it - that old bugger got a whiff of a stinky old human & bolted back from whence he came.  He ran into the thick stuff & blew a few times, then all went quiet.  I think that's the first one that has winded me this season. I stuck around a few minutes & then decided it was time to walk back up to the house & thaw out, & drink a toast to that buck - maybe next year Cubs fans!   

Would have been nice to tag him, but was a fun way to finish the year at least.  Knew my odds weren't great with the wind, but have rolled the dice before there in past years & gotten away with it in late season.  Now time to focus on yotes & see if Yari can teach me how to fish in hard water!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: He won - maybe next year!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:29:07 AM »
Too bad things didn't go as planned. Sounds like he would have made a good one to finish the season with. Hey, at least you got out one more time and saw some decent deer.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »
Oh man, that's a hard way to finish the year.  Oh well, looks like he has survived until next year (predator and environmental conditions permitting).  Sounded like a fun hunt nonetheless. I'm like you, February is predator time.  Best of luck Mad!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
Too bad.

Hunting for sheds maybe you will find his headgear
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 09:04:11 PM »
sooooo close. it's tuff to beat an old buck's nose. he'll be bigger nest year
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline psebg65

• 6 Point
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
Exciting way to end the season.  I know what's it's like to have to decide between braving the weather or staying home.  Good on ya for choosing to get out there one last time.  Too bad it didn't come together for you!  Good luck next year!
There is nothing more beautiful than sitting in a treestand watching the world come alive.
A bad day of hunting is better than any day at work.

New Page 3

Google Ad