New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Getting close to picking up a PCP air rifle  (Read 455 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Getting close to picking up a PCP air rifle
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:47:15 PM »
I continue to be intrigued by the PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) air rifles, and may just be about to the point that I pry open my crusty old wallet for one.  My primary purpose would be for shooting coyotes over in the area where I bowhunt, which is adjoining a subdivision.  Would like to have something quiet to avoid alarming people.  The area is pretty brushy, so shots will be short, probably inside of 30 yards.  I recently got confirmation from the Illinois DNR that it is legal - it was a bit of a battle getting that answer but finally got connected with an actual conservation officer rather than an office flunky.  The hunting rules are written very vaguely - they simply state that coyotes can be taken with any legal firearm.  OK - what does "Legal Firearm" mean in the wonderful state of IL?  (at the rate we're going here, there will be no such thing)  Illinois considers anything over .18 caliber and 700 fps as a "Firearm" meaning we have to abide by the same rules to purchase one as we would for a .308 rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun, etc. 

After a lot of hours staring at the screen and studying specs, reviews, and feedback from guys who actually do all of their predator hunting with an air rifle, I'm probably going to end up with a Hatsan Bullboss in .25.  Was originally thinking about the Benjamin Bulldog in .357 but the Bullboss is a bit quieter, lower cost, and a bit lower on the air consumption while more than capable of taking down a yote at the kind of ranges I'd be shooting.  I know we've had a couple of threads on PCPs here in the last year or two - any of you guys pick one up yet?  The good news is that Hatsan, Umarex, and others have been hitting the market hard in the last couple years with more economical models - a few years ago it was hard to find one below $800, now you can get models like the Gauntlet and Flash for about $300.  Obviously those don't have all the bells and whistles, but very functional nonetheless.  They all tend to be heavy, but the bullpup designs (like the Bullboss & Bulldog) put that weight back near your shoulder so the balance is really good for offhand shooting.  I'm really only looking at bullpups for the compactness & balance aspect.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:50:59 PM by Madgomer »
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Getting close to picking up a PCP air rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 03:01:53 PM »
make sure to wear eye protection when you open your wallet. those moths can do damage --099-780 --099-780

I know nothing about these. i'm sure a .25 will kill a yote, but will it be a fast kill? you don't want it running to the neighbors. I would think the .357 would do a faster job

enjoy. always fun to get a new toy. post pics
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 08:19:25 PM »
Yari - at the ranges I'd be playing with, it would be head shots on the yotes, wouldn't expect them to run off if I do my part.  These guns are grouping inside of an inch at 50 yards, and I doubt I'd have a shot  beyond that.   The .357 Bulldog packs a bigger wallop for sure - videos out there of guys taking deer with them - but they're louder and get fewer shots per charge so not really sure I want to go that route.  Thought a couple of years ago that's what I wanted until Hatsan & others came out with some strong performers at a lower price point.
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:41:13 AM »
I think you have a great idea Mad.  Sounds perfect for your situation with the neighbors and such.  I obviously am not going to be any help, as I have never studied PCP air rifles.  I can't wait to see how it performs and see pictures of it as well.     

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:58 AM »
Send pics of all them head shot yotes you kill cause you got a good plan and that .25 will kill them dead.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 08:27:27 PM »
Very interesting Mad. Keep us informed on what you decide.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:26:46 AM »
Mad - That is great news, wonder what air compressor you will choose? Have been looking at the also, the You Tube videos are so funny with the English twist on it....LOL....I also looking at the 25 caliber...humm...The Benjamin Marauder is looking good right now for me....I have a grand in the budget for both the compressor and the PCP rifle....

There are states that currently allow PCP for deer hunting, never knew that until I saw Jackie Bushman hunting in Alabama (30 caliber minimum) with one!!! wholy cow....Those states are in the link listed below:

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/hunting/2014/08/the-travelling-airgun-hunter-know-the-laws-and-the-people/

Will be watching you and your moves and post on this subject...thanks for keeping us all informed on your latest.....Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 07:33:59 AM »
Bo, initially I'm going to use a hand pump or scuba tank, as I know I'll want portability and won't be able to plug in a compressor everywhere I might be shooting.  Looks like the bottom end for a decent compressor is 3-400 bucks.  A decent multi stage hand pump costs a Benjamin by itself (consider it as exercise equipment?)  Will keep you guys posted.  Midway had a really good price on the Bullboss around Christmas time, but I was too slow on the draw.
and enjoy it!

Online yari

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 11:12:10 AM »
Bo, initially I'm going to use a hand pump or scuba tank, as I know I'll want portability and won't be able to plug in a compressor everywhere I might be shooting.  Looks like the bottom end for a decent compressor is 3-400 bucks.  A decent multi stage hand pump costs a Benjamin by itself (consider it as exercise equipment?)  Will keep you guys posted.  Midway had a really good price on the Bullboss around Christmas time, but I was too slow on the draw.

do you really think the Mrs's will believe it's exercise equipment? i want to see you sell that to her @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »
Yari, the ultimate sell job will be if I can convince her that the pump is HER exercise equipment.  Would be awesome if she'd recharge that tank to 3000 psi for me! 

Gotta dream big once in a while!
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »
can have you stuff after she takes you out   ##$%#1118   --099-780
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Online yari

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
Yari, the ultimate sell job will be if I can convince her that the pump is HER exercise equipment.  Would be awesome if she'd recharge that tank to 3000 psi for me! 

Gotta dream big once in a while!

dream big. i like it
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
I give Mrs Bo and huge Hobby Lobby gift card for Christmas and every year it gets bigger and bigger....since Christmas, she has been there 4 times and tomorrow morning will be the 5th!!

Bless her heart, she give a ton of stuff away every year to charity and good organizations for women and the kids, I just shake my head, but every year after reducing the amount that is given away and after Christmas she goes to Hobby Lobby and she replaces it with more and better stuff....the garage is very full and so is the external garage, the one I said when I built it that only my stuff would go in it....yea you see how long that lasted...about 15 minutes....she has half of the garage, with a 88 300ZX Turbo (Mint Condition) sitting in her half as well as boxes and baskets from the rafters........

But if was not for her, I would have been long gone from this planet...with her being a nurse, like Dutch's wife, she watches me like a hawk has kept me alive and hunting for all these years...put me on a diet, thanks to her I have lost 33 lbs....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 07:27:59 PM »
Consider it done Dave - bring a big truck and friends, I'm kind of a packrat!  Wifey would appreciate someone hauling all my crap away so she doesn't have to figure out what to do with it.  I'm not going to share her phone number though, you two might get into collusion & knock me off before I even get to enjoy day 1 of retirement. 
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 05:57:36 PM »
Consider it done Dave - bring a big truck and friends, I'm kind of a packrat!  Wifey would appreciate someone hauling all my crap away so she doesn't have to figure out what to do with it.  I'm not going to share her phone number though, you two might get into collusion & knock me off before I even get to enjoy day 1 of retirement.

just me shooting at you   ##$%#113 I think you will be safe
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

New Page 3

Google Ad