New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Getting close to picking up a PCP air rifle  (Read 461 times)

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Getting close to picking up a PCP air rifle
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 06:49:31 PM »
can have you stuff after she takes you out   ##$%#1118   --099-780
Consider it done Dave - bring a big truck and friends, I'm kind of a packrat!  Wifey would appreciate someone hauling all my crap away so she doesn't have to figure out what to do with it.  I'm not going to share her phone number though, you two might get into collusion & knock me off before I even get to enjoy day 1 of retirement.
[/quote

just me shooting at you   ##$%#113 I think you will be safe
I don't know Dave, that 4-shot break barrel your emoji is firing is making me worried!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 08:08:21 AM »
Mad - Just a follow-up on your PCP...which one did you buy?? or going to buy??

I have a lot to learn about the PCP, even though TN here will let you use them to deer hunt with!!! but was looking at 177 and 22 calibers but now think as a min a 25 caliber will have to be the min caliber......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
Bo,
Life's been busy here, still haven't placed my order.  Still thinking the Hatsan Bullboss in .25 is what I'm going to take, although their Flashpup is tempting too at a little lower price (but a bit less performance too).

Just as with a firearm, there's no one "ideal" caliber in the airguns.  You'll just need to ponder what you want to mostly do with it (at least your first gun) and pick the best option for that.  We all know Bo - and we know Bo won't stop at 1!!!

I'm thinking varmint control around the house (raccoons & possums & muskrats) and then yotes around a neighboring subdivision where shots will be close and need to be quiet.  I want something short, and around 50 FPE, the Bullboss seems to be the best bang for the buck against all those criteria.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 04:16:16 PM »
Mad - Thanks for the follow-up post....have been studying the PCP ballistics and pressure curves and the muzzle FPS charts and think that the caliber and how far you shoot will dictate what caliber you choose...but like you think the 22 would be enough for around here but the 25 would be a better choice......stopping at one, you are right, no way....that I would buy another 25 caliber and maybe a 22...thanks for the info that you have shared with all of us....

Most of us can use a PCP in our yards with the Coyotes, Squirrels, Raccoons, Possums and other critter we might encounter.....so saw a commerical on TV about a PCP for $300 sure that is stripped down model with many other features and accessories that we will need just to shoot it.... 

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »
Mad - Thanks for the follow-up post....have been studying the PCP ballistics and pressure curves and the muzzle FPS charts and think that the caliber and how far you shoot will dictate what caliber you choose...but like you think the 22 would be enough for around here but the 25 would be a better choice......stopping at one, you are right, no way....that I would buy another 25 caliber and maybe a 22...thanks for the info that you have shared with all of us....

Most of us can use a PCP in our yards with the Coyotes, Squirrels, Raccoons, Possums and other critter we might encounter.....so saw a commerical on TV about a PCP for $300 sure that is stripped down model with many other features and accessories that we will need just to shoot it....
When I first started looking into these a few years ago, the prices were atrocious.  Was hard to find one for less than ten C-notes and you could spend twice that if you wanted to.  In the last year or two though, two companies have introduced no-frills PCPs that are much more accessible financially to people yet still legitimate performers.  Umarex with their Gauntlet and Hatsan with their Flash series are the most notable ones, and Hatsan also did well with the Bullboss for a little extra coin.  The reviews on the Gauntlet and the Flash are quite strong - - yeah there are plenty of airgun snobs out there who will proclaim from the mountaintops that their $2000 Daystate is the only "real" gun out there, but like anything you need to filter through the noise & understand where the real value lies.  Benjamin makes some fine options like the Bulldog and the Marauder, but again you're talking about a few hundred bucks more than the Umarex & Hatsan offerings mentioned above.  The Bulldog only comes in .357 I believe, and although the reviews on it are consistently very good, that bigger bore consumes much more air/has fewer shots per fill so you'll either need to be an exercise freak with the hand pump or prepare to invest a bunch more on the side for a compressor, etc. People are killing deer & hogs with it, so if you need that kind of punch it's definitely one to consider. I was originally thinking I'd grab a .30 cal, but after studying up on it and thinking about how I'd use it, a .25 is going to be a really good place for me to start.  If you primarily have a rabbit/squirrel/bird problem, a .22 or .177 might be your best bet - just gotta think through how you want to use it most.  As the caliber goes up, so does your noise & your air consumption, so if you want a backyard paper puncher just stay on the small end & read up on the relative noise levels between the various models.  I've taken plenty of rabbits & squirrels with my .177 Daisy Powerline pump that I got as a teenager and my Gamo .177 break barrel that I bought about 15 years ago, but need something a bit bigger now for other critters.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:39:32 PM by Madgomer »
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad