New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New to me a Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington  (Read 1126 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: New to me a Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 07:16:40 AM »
Flint - Sorry I have not been on TH very much due to the flood of late Feb 2019....

What I use is my old standard digital camera, it is a Canon SX160 (the last kind that uses 2-AA batteries to run, the newer digital camera use a priority rechargeable battery), I take the photos using the old camera and then take the SD card out of the camera and transfer the photos to the computer hard drive and then have a sub folder on the computer hard drive for the photos, then I scale the photos downs to 250 bites, it is a pain to do it this way but I am use to it now and have done it for so many years. That is the way I post my photos, first take them with camera, then download them, then resize them, the save and post them on the TH site....

According to my Canon sources, everybody has a smart cell phone today, and all of them have cameras in them, so the sales of the digital camera there now, so manufacturers have quit making the digital cameras.....this was told to me about 3 to 4 years ago.....that is why I got two of the cameras, one is still in it's box (a red body one) and I use the other one still today....I have a 8 gig card in mine that takes thousands of pictures so you never have to erase them at all.....

Never use Tapatalk App at all....never wanted to....

hope this helps....Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »
Went ahead and found and mounted the picatinny rail and it is now drying.....tonight have located the Sig Sauer Scope (3-9X x 40mm), the cheap one, that is going on it.....so by the end of the weekend should ready to go to the range...will post pictures when it's ready....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2019, 09:08:27 PM »
I was thinking about you today. one of my SD deer hunting buddies jumped up to the big leagues. he just but a new cooper .300 win mag and put on a Swarovski w/ a 56mm objective. 6k on sale for both. sweet set up. I know you like your coopers

my only advise I could give was always where hearing protection, even when hunting. he said the muzzle break was a bit loud @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2019, 04:18:15 AM »
Yari - Thanks. Yes (the Coopers) can get expensive and if you set them up as you should with good glass you will have over 5K into one, I cannot believe how much they have gone up in value and price, when I first got my first one many years ago (2004), the only model was a M22, a single shot rifle in 7x57, got it for a under $1500 and when I first loaded for it becuase I already had a Ruger No.1 and was shooting the 139 and 140 gn in it then. After getting the Zeiss Conquest Scope set up and headed for the range, all I can say is Wow, it shot great....but I have never seen a M22 in 7x57 (or the 275 Rigley - takes the same ammo) since and I look all the time, this unique Cooper has a walnut stock on it and sort of plain Jane look about it.....Since then I have bought me a Cooper M52 (2015) in 7x57 and it shoots wonderful as well...

I have one Custom Cooper and it is in a 308. The darn thing has a short (19"), heavy #6 barrel on it and it took me about 9 months from APO to deliver, had if made special, with 12 twist (and it is 12.05" twist in it) with a fiberglass stock, I have lighten the trigger up to about 2.25 lbs to 2.30 lbs....it does like the 155 gn bergers and the Vhit VV140 and VV540 powders....now the shocker, it did cost me $4800 - Ouch!!, use Ken Farrell picatinny base and rings and the scope was a Lieca ER 2.5-10X, bet I got about 6K in it as well....

I know I'm an old guy but when Mike Ivey was the #1 player picked by San Diego in 1970, Mike went out and bought himself a bright yellow 70 Corvette. Mike and I went hunting for many years together and after getting settled in to San Diego, Mike bought himself a good collection of Weatherby's. One of which I bought used from a guy who bought it directly from Mike who got it from Roy himself....so that is one of my 5 Weatherby's that I own....

Today I own 10 Coopers, half which I bought used. As I often say, there is nothing wrong with a good used rifle, but you got to know your rifles. I once bought a 243 used because it had 30mm scope rings mounted, no scope but the rings came with the rifle. I figured that if a person goes to the expense of putting 30mm scope on a rifle, he or she has taken great care of that rifle.

Thanks for sharing....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2019, 07:19:49 AM »
Today 78 days after I picked up the rifle, will start the assembly process on it, already put the picatinny rail on it (Nightforce from Midway) and now will finalize it with the installation and bore sighting of the Sig Sauer Scope.....This will be after about 4 hours of working in the gun room, then will look at one of the Kimber 308 Twins, one was perfectly fine with no surface rust and the other one has about 2" from the front of the barrel back with surface rust on it....will get out my steel wool and Rem Oil and set down and go over it while watching TV....then will mount the Sig-Sauer Scope on the Shilen-Savage model 10 in 260 Rem....

With the rain in the area here in East TN, should be an interesting morning.....time to get going.....

Bo 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2019, 02:19:59 AM »
Maybe on Day 85 after the flood can get into the gun room and really start working on the Savage-Shilen and mount and bore site the Sig Sauer Scope that I have ear marked for it.....

Will start off with the load I use for the other 260 Rem.....140 gn Nosler Accubonds....maybe go to the range next week or two....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 06:36:21 AM »
Went ahead and Bore sighted the new to me 260 Rem Shilen-Savage bolt action rifle after only 2 days after scope (Sig Sauer Whiskey 3, 3-9X) installation, check the torque on the Warne rings late yesterday and they were still at the 25 inch pounds from the day before so I went ahead and mounted to scope, usual wait for three days after mounting the scope before bore siting it, but felt good about the installation, made sure the cross-hairs were vertical with mother earth and the can't level was perfect perpendicular to the cross-hairs.....

See Pictures....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 02:11:12 PM »
Got the new Bore Siter in Wednesday and immediately put it to work...first came this rifle the Savage-Shilen 260 Remignton after one last torque check to make sure that the torques were still set right, Mounted the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 on it and got it bore sited, next up was the Christensen Arms. Got the Leupold mounted and then bore sited it...and finally got the Custom 7mm STW out and got the Vortex Scope out of the box and tried to mount it and found out that the front of the scope touched the barrel, so had to ordered new rings for it......

Picture 84 shows both bore siters, Picture 85 show the new and latest bore siter and Picture 86 shows the old Tasco Model 30 bore siter that I have had for over 40 years and if you look at the box and its condition you can tell. The Muzzle Loader Arbor I added about 20 years ago, and it is the newest arbor in the old set.....the old Bore Site is only off less than an inch down and to the right...I have been lucky in that respect. Not two feet off. I remember when and where I bought it and back in 79 David of David Gun Room was showing me Bore Sites that were not centered up not even close, so I wonder how far off your shot were after you have bore site your rifle and then headed to the range. I bet there was a lot of surprised folks......

The new Talley Rings which are a pain to installed on the scope and the rifle, will installed the scope on the 7mm STW Custom and then bore site it and then we will be done except to the range.....

What is on the back burner is the 1981 Remington 700 with a fiberglass stock on it, I bought it from a now deceased guy, he died about two weeks after I bought most of his rifles from him for MSRP....but one of them was a 1981 Rem 700 in 7mm-08 he had put a fiberglass stock on it a few years back before he got sick, it shoots about 2 to 2.5 inch groups these days but with a glass bed kit and sanding the stock down just a bit, it should be a shooter, he told me that he had luck using the 150 gn, so I will start with that weight and work my way down (of up)....the other rifles I bought from him was a Ruger American 22Mag and the Ruger International M77 in 250-3000. I have another one just like it in 243, so they sit next to each other in the gun safe.....I bought two or three other center-fires include a 270, 06 and another 308.....

Also have to take this to a smith, a vintage Sauer 200 I wanted to changed out off the take off rings and put on permanent fixed rings, and they were the old flat head screws not the torx screws....have the Leupold VX3 sitting in the box with the rest of the scopes just waiting on getting perm scope rings on it.......

Bo
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:32:57 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad