New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New to me a Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington  (Read 911 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: New to me a Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 07:55:37 AM »
Mad - I am so glad Microsoft bought Excel, Word and Access......Access is basically a spreadsheet with a lot of bells and whistles...and you can export and import data with either one...I remembering entering reloading and other hunting data looking at that orange and black screen...that is all we had...spent a lot of time inputting data using Symphony (at least someone remembers the software) wow then switching over to Lotus then onto Quattro Pro and then finally to Excel (or Office) that I use today....

Am letting Deerhead pick up the Savage for me. He lives probably within 20 miles of the seller. When I pick it up will go to my FFL and have them do a background check on it and me...LOL...no hurry for it....but since the other Savage in 260 Rem shoots darn good will start out using the 140 gn bullet with it....

I did send him another email last night asking what is going to do with the 308 barrel. We will see what his plans for the barrel is.....

I have a Remington 700 Varmint that started out its life as a 308 and replaced the barrel on it many years ago as a 338 Federal and have not been satisfied with the results every since, I also have a Sako Gray Wolf (at half price) also a 338 Federal that doesn't like anything else...the one rifle that does like 225 bullets is my Winchester Model 70 338 Win Mag. Finally put a break on it and it is very comfortable to shoot....but was thinking about putting a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on the Remington 700 that now has the 338 Federal barrel on it...have been thinking about that for a couple of years now.....

I will start posting some pictures of the Savage-Shilen 260 Rem when I get it and we go from there......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 07:58:54 AM »
     Bo sounds like a great gun you are getting. The 700 Rem you are thinking of rebarreling would be a good contender for a 6mm Creedmoor or even a 22 Creedmoor. Not much info available for the 22 Creedmoor but it looks very interesting. Enjoy

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »
Notsams - Yes, have been looking at both the 6mm CM and the 6.5 CM....have been reading about the 22 Nosler, 22 CM and the 204 Valkyrie, just reading.....have dies for the 6.5 CM now, the current 6.5 CM (see attached photo) shoots 1 inch groups at 200 yards...think after only 2 loads am able to zero in on the right load that the rifle like, lucky me.  But heck, what is another set of dies cost anyway if I go with the 6mm CM (got to get the Lapua or Norma or Nosler brass).....But that is re-barreling of the Rem 700 is off in the distance maybe 3 to 4 months and that should give me time enough to decide on which caliber to go with....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 08:26:03 AM »
Good stuff!

Made me think I need to sell my stuff when I get to Florida. I may keep one or two but not what is stuffed in my large safe now. Only one custom rifle, rest are as they came from the factory.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 05:49:14 AM »
Flint - Thanks...yea I too need to see some "stuff"...I do have a lot of "stuff"....

When do you get to Florida?? The large safe can be use for storing other valuables,  like your wife...just kidding, I kidding threaten to put my wife that I will put her in a safe and then she reminds me of the meals she cooks for me and the pills put out for me....she could do away with me at any time...LOL....

How are the knee(s) doing?? Therapy works but you got to do it at home....on a side note the Therapist told me that it would take about a year to get over my knee surgery, and he was right....the second one was about the same...but it actually taken me about 2 years to get back to full duties. The only time I am worried about the knee is when I am out hunting and then I take the camo cane with me...LOL...I did fall down at the hunt club in ga six months after the second knee surgery and was down there a day early and by myself and no cane!! so I crawled to a tree and walked myself up and got up dusted myself off, found my rifle brushed it off and away went to get on the ATV and head back to camp....

Deerhead has the new to me Savage-Shilen 260, he picked it up yesterday for me....can't wait to see it and start my process of check it out and mounting a scope on it.....and not on two the 6.5 Creedmoor, already have one, looking for my last rifle...yea right....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 06:28:10 AM »
I had Mexican last night with my shooting/range buddy Billy and was telling him about the Savage-Shilen in 260 Rem and he said that I got the I paid for the barrel and the rifle was free....I have been checking on Midway and Brownell's website on the prices of the Shilen Barrel....but it started out as a 24" barrel so he had a local gunsmith to cut the barrel length to 21.5" long...

Am getting excited about it....so we will see what it does after I get it and get it set up....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
Bo I paid $300 for the Shilen barrel I put on my 6mm Creedmoor. I think it is the most accurate rifle I own.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 07:14:46 AM »
Notsams - I own a original DGA in (naturally) 308, single shot...I paid $1850 for it without batting an eye...won it on a auction on Gunbroker about 10 or 12 years ago...the previous owner told me that he bought it from a auction when he was in Dallas, TX...he paid $1500 for it, kept it for about 5 years and experimenting with 7 loads with it....I asked him for those 7 loads, tried only 5 of them. All 5 of the loads I tried shot within a 1/2" MOA at 100 yards and most were 1/4" MOA....so why try the rest of them....man on man, it was the most accurate rifle I have, with the other Shilen Barrels that I own....

When I won the auction, got a strange email from a guy named Wade, he told me that he is running the Shilen shop now and that Ed comes into the shop and piddles here and there and that Doug was off to Bergara Spain helping them straighten out their barrel....I told Wade that I actually met Doug on a plane from DAL to ATL, we were working on a burnt down plant, getting it back up and running and he, Doug was on his way to Ft Benning GA to try and secure an Army contract so that they would build some long range rifles for them, back then the 300 Win and the 7mm Rem were the top long distance rifles....I think the time table was around 1980 or so, had to look at my Resume to make sure that I was in Dallas at that time!! Wade was talking to Ed Shilen and Ed was telling Wade that he thought that he only made 3000 DGA rifles in four configuration...so Wade was trying to track down the owners of all the DGA rifles....Wade told me that the order for the rifle came in about May of 81 and it went out to a guy in Dallas TX in Sept 81....so I bought it from Preacher in Shreveport, LA back in 2005 (had to check my records, yes a spreadsheet). So I am the third owner of this amazing accurate Shilen 308....

Also, when I got the Rifle Delivered, had to pick it up from my local FFL (at the time) and it came to him in a Wooden Box with red felt lining. The stock was a high gloss black stock super shiny....It was for sure a bench rest rifle, a single shot, heavy barrel in 308...it came with a Leupold VX2, 6-18X x 40mm again it was high gloss scope, so that tells you the age of the scope....I had my work cut out for me. Had to go from a Bench Rest rifle to a Hunting rifle...Should have taken more pictures of it in the red felt lined wooden box that it came in...all my local FFL guy was said when it arrived was "Wow - what a rifle!!" The original owner put the Leupold VX2 on the scope and the second owner just left it on the rifle...must have been a safe queen for many years....that is what the second owner was telling me....

First, I took the whole rifle apart, and started working on the stock. Sanded it down to the bare bones and then sprayed it with the automotive trunk spray, you know the gray with the black and white strands....see picture attached (it shows the rifle after the modifications)...next took the Leupold Scope off and mounted it onto another Shilen barreled Remington 700 in 22-250...another previous owned rifle....and ordered from Cablea's back then a New Leupold LPS scope (now, today it is the VX6) in 2.5-10X x 45mm Objective with a 30mm tube and mounted it when it came in.....by the way it was 102 F in the shade when I finally took the rifle to the range....

I own several other rifles with Shilen Barrels and most are amazing accurate, other are accurate as well, just had to figure out the twist rate in the barrel...remind me to tell you about the 7mm Rem Mag with what I thought would have been 9 to 9.25" twist rate in the barrel and it turned out to be 11" twist...found that out after sending it back to the factory and letting them re-bed and re-crown the barrel, etc...nothing was ever said about the twist rate. I wanted something that shot the 160 to 175 gns 7mm bullets and it turned out to be 11 twist rate down the barrel, now it shoots the 120 gn amazing accurate and at a long range....but that cost me about 3 years of work and time to solve this problem.....being in Engineering for all those years, you solve the problem....no telling how many problems I have solved in a motel room at night thinking about it.....

I just hop that this Savage-Shilen in 260 Rem will be close to being accurate...plan on using it deer hunting next year along with my other 260 Rem a Cooper M52....only time will tell....

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:16:31 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 07:22:35 AM »
I mention in my preivous post that the first time I took the Shilen DGA to the range it was 102 F here is the picture....talk about mirage....these days 90 F is my limit.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 07:02:11 AM »
Should pick up the Savage-Shilen 260 near the end of the month....now, the big question is which scope to mount on it?? Have three choices...a Sig Sauer Tango 4 3-9X x 40mm, a Vortex 4-12X x 40mm  and the arriving tomorrow a Leupold Freedom series 3-9X x 50mm. All three will have the Vortex Can't Level...have the Vortex Can't Level ready to go on the Leupold....

Should be an interesting choice....have the ammo box, brass and bullets ready to load for it....since I already have a Savage 260 will try that load in the sucker first and then will go from there....have posted earlier some targets I have shot with the standard Savage Model 10 that I have owned for several years now and expect the new Savage-Shilen to  shoots better (hope so) than the one I already owned...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:16:16 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 06:28:04 PM »
Will pick up my new to me Savage-Shilen this weekend and now the decision of what to put on it....Have three choices, a Leupold Rifleman 3-9X x 50mm, a Sig-Sauger Tango 4 3-9X x 40mm and a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X x 40mm....have been wrestling with it for this week and have gotten the 20 MOA Picatinny rail in earlier this week. Do have some Warne medium rings that will be used....So which one do I go with?? Went ahead and mounted all three scopes with the Vortex cant level (will need to true it up before I do a final torque of 20 inch pounds) long time ago and went ahead and mounted the Vortex Cant Level on all 7 or 8 scopes that are in the "pile"...still have 3 30mm Vortex cant levels that are spare and a slew of 1" cant levels from different manufacturers that are still spares....and are in a separate case for storage.....

My first choice was the Leupold but tonight when I took off the windage and elevation adjustment caps saw that it was 2 MOA between lines and it is a variable settings and not click stop adjustments...this reminds me of my very first 1972 Leupold 2-7X x 33mm VX2 that I put on and still is on the Winchester Model 70A 270 Win (and it will stay on the Winchester, have no plans of replacing it) With the 2 MOA a slight turn and you are a couple of inches of adjustment, which I am not a big fan of....(matter of fact, I do have several of my first Leupold's with that type of adjustment built in.....The Leupold was eliminate for that reason...both the Sig and the Vortex do have 1/4" click stop adjustments.....It was a close call between Sig and Vortex but the winner for now is the Sig. It was very close between scopes....both scopes have similar features...the rifle is a short 21.5 inch #4 Shilen Barrel so I figured that I would set it up for a 200 yard and in rifle....did considered a Konus 1.5-6X x 42mm with a 30mm tube, but their are some things I did not like about it....So tonight made a decision to go with the Sig-Sauer Tango Scope and the Warne Scope rings and the Nightforce Picatinny 20MOA one piece rail....

Deerhead and I have been talking about changing scope on our CVA Accura II Muzzle loaders with the Bergara Barrels on it and for sure will put the Leupold 3-9X x 50mm on it for sure soon, maybe as early as this summer....but for now we both have Bushnell DOA 3-9X x 40mm scopes mounted...

Tomorrow I will leave for GA and our Camp clean up early work weekend and will pick up the Savage-Shilen 260 Remington before heading back this Sunday...wish me wll....Bo   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 06:31:44 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
Just pulled out the new to me Savage/Shilen out of the box, it has been setting in it box for over a month now...if you guys remembered, I picked up the rifle while at Deer Camp on Friday 2-22-19, and then got a call from my wife on 2-23 and then all Hello broke loose with the Basement Flooding...and every since, the new to me Savage/Shilen 260 has been sitting in its box...so this afternoon, pulled it out and put it in the gun cradle for mounting a scope on it, cant level on it and bore site it and get it ready for the range...

Have not forgot about it, it has just been pushed back a while.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2019, 09:40:40 AM »
The Shilen/Savage is bright and not to shiny, but will put a scope on it something by the end of April...will post some pictures of it too.....

Cannot wait to get this out to the range and load up some ammo for it...have not did any measuring on it at all! not even the trigger pull, don't know about it how much it is. Have not looked down the barrel with my Hawkeye or Lyman bore scopes....but one thing I did notice that it is front end heavy, the barrel is a beefier #4 or even could be a #5 barrel, straight contour......supposed to be 10 twist but will also measure it as well.....

When I start working on it will start posting some speck on it....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »
I can feel you shaking w/ withdrawals bo. being away from your babies must be tough
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »
Bo, what are you using to post photos? I gave up in Tapatalk. Thanks