New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New to me a Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington  (Read 921 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
New to me a Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:34:26 AM »
Just won on Gunbroker a Savage Model 10TR in 260 Remington with a new Shilen barrel on it....the owner lives in Georgia....he and I have been emailing back and forth and he said that the Savage came as a 308 from the factory with a 24" barrel, but he wanted a shooter and so he said that a local gunsmith told him that a 21.5" barrel in 260 was the way to go....He has not admitted it, but think he needs to money....The Shilen blank was 24" long and the local gunsmith cut it down to 21.5" long a #4 barrel, and it has 9 twist...he said that he has gotten anywhere from 0.3 to 0.7 in groups (3 shots) out of it using the 129 gn Hornady bullets .....he has never told me why he needs to sale it....he says only 57 rounds have been down the barrel and he will include all the paper work about the barrel....Humm..wonder if he wants to see the old 308 barrel to me and the Picatinny rail as well.....

As I have said before, this is is a good time of year to look and to buy...with the Shot Show in Las Vegas later on this month, and the hunting season is over now is a good time to start looking...I was in the market for a 260 Rem and a 6.5 CM....I now have two 260 Rem, and still looking for that 6.5 CM.....

Have one of the 6.5 CM in a Savage 10BA Stealth and the darn thing shoots under an inch at 200 yards!!! Wow, on the second hand loads that I loaded up for it.....So am in the market for one more 6.5 Creedmoor, needs to be a normal bolt rifle...LOL....

Now what scope to put on the Savage Shilen?? a Vortex of a Leupold or a Nikon, or a ?????. will need to add a Picatinny rail for it....have plenty of rings to choose and will have to order an Picatinny rail for it a 10 or 20 MOA....will wait for them to go on sale after the Shot Show...so it will be about a month before taking it to the range.....

When I get the Savage-Shilen 260 Rem, will put the Hawkeye or Lyman bore scope down the barrel and check out the wear on it and give it a good cleaning...torque down the stock and check the trigger pull. Other words my normal check up, just like I am doing to all my rifles now.....

Will keep you guys informed on the progress......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: New to me a Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
Always good to have a new toy to keep your mind active Bo.  Yeah, you may as well ask him to throw in that original .308 barrel if he has it - can't imagine he'll do anything else with it at this point and I know you will always need another piece of steel with that bore size. 
 --9-8-7
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »
I thought you meant you won it in a raffle at first. sounds like a nice find.

you are going to have to make a schedule to make sure all your toys get some play time. enjoy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:27:43 PM »
I have a Savage 10 260 with Savage factory barrel, 1:8. Shoots great. Use 142 grain for deer. Just bought some 123gr SST's. Will work up a load this winter.

Good luck with new gun. Look forward to seeing your groups.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:39:40 AM »
Sounds like a good deal.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 01:39:18 PM »
Thanks for your comments and thanks Gobi for the load info...I have one of those too and it shoots well under an inch and I am using the 140 gn Sierra GK and 44.17 grains or H4831SC, using a CCI-BR2 primer with Lapua Brass.....these are a few targets I have shot through the factory barrel at 100 yards, nothing wrong with the groups!!

Last night started the scope selection process...hummm....have a Sightron 3-9X, Vortex CF II 4-12X, Nikon Monarch 3-9X, Sig Tango 3-9X, Burris Fullfield II 3-9X, Konus 1-6X, a Simmons Atax 3-9X, and an old Tasco WC 3-9X, and a few others that are made for AR style rifles that I am not considering. Went ahead and installed a Vortex Cant Levels on 6 of them and have 4 - 30mm Vortex Cant Levels left over...LOL, did not realize that I have that many of them.....so was watching the football playoffs and during the commericals was up and looking through all the scopes to try and decided...humm...right now it looks like the Sig Tango 3-9X has the edge over the Burris and the Vortex....

Now when it arrives will give it the good old Bo "look-over" and will go ahead and order a Picatinny rail and will be looking at my rings tonight.......

Will keep you guys informed.....Enjoy the targets scans.....Bo     
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »
with your inventory, you need to create a spreadsheet to keep tract of all your stuff. that way you aren't surprised to find 'extras'. @--0--0105

enjoy
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »
Yari that would be self incriminating, I mean, what if that list fell into the wrong hands, like Mrs Bo?  You just can't take that kind of risk you know!
 --099-780 ##$%#114 --099-780
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:11:37 PM »
Yari - Spreadsheet? Na I don't need a spreadsheet, I need spreadsheets!!! Have been using so called "spreadsheets" with a the first being VisiCalc then Lotus 123, then Quatro Pro then Excel when it was a stand along program, long before Microsoft bought then and made them part of office.....The first effort was to put the data that I had made manually from the old blue notebooks and paper, then when VisiCalc came out, had to buy me my first Apple II, then when Lotus Symphony was developed, had to go by some software to convert it, some it would take and some it would, for the data that it would not take had to re-enter the data manually....you see I am old DOS head from way back. Still have some old black and white ballistic programs on 5.25" disk (yes, I have a couple of the 8.5" floppy disk)...and then when computers hard drives come out a whopping 10 megabits (the one I am using today has 2 terabytes!!), and after the first hard drive failure, you learn the meaning of back up disk!!! Today I have three back-ups to the main computer, each having 1 terabyte! I back-up my data files every quarter!

Today I track everything by using a spreadsheet, each rifle has its own folders with the basics of the rifle, all the scan targets, and put them on a similar spreadsheet, this one of many spreadsheets that I keep for each rifle....see attached file.....I do this for every rifle I take to the range with me.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 07:40:23 PM »
WOW   that's impressive record keeping.     

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 07:53:21 AM »
with your inventory, you need to create a spreadsheet to keep tract of all your stuff. that way you aren't surprised to find 'extras'. @--0--0105

enjoy
I almost lost my coffee when I read this...Bo's second name is "Mr Spreadsheet... --9-908 --9-908 --9-908
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »

enjoy
I almost lost my coffee when I read this...Bo's second name is "Mr Spreadsheet... --9-908 --9-908 --9-908

i was talking about keeping track of his inventory, not targets and loads. bo seems to be like the rest of us and buy more stuff we forget we already have. --099-780 although bo has a lot more to keep track of than i do
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 06:28:53 PM »

enjoy

i was talking about keeping track of his inventory, not targets and loads. bo seems to be like the rest of us and buy more stuff we forget we already have. --099-780 although bo has a lot more to keep track of than i do
Well Bo being the engineer he dots all the I's and crosses all the T's. He uses spreadsheet for everything not just shooting. The man is very organized. I know he has spreadsheets for every weapon, car and truck maintenance, stocks the list goes on and on. Excel is his friend... 
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »
Split - Mr Spreadsheet...LOL --099-780....never thought of it that way....but don't forget the three Honda Generators as well as the flashlights, knifes,...I have a spreadsheet for them too....

I have huge budget spreadsheet that I check daily and the stocks I have as well as a spreadsheet on what I eat and how much do I eat!! Other spreadsheets as you know the moon phases and the when the legal shooting hours as well as when the good times of hunting and fishing...track the electricity, gas and water I use...and the history of the house that I live in....I find spreadsheets are very simple to do and easy to maintain. You just got to give yourself time to learn it. Every week I learn something new on Excel and I can't remember all the stuff that I once knew. The person I missed the most is me!! right Split Toe......

Over the years, I have switched from Lotus to Quantro Pro, to Excel and Open Office....my current Excel is from Microsoft (good long term stock) and is the 2013 Edition....but Split Toe is right, being the Nuclear Engineer (Retired) had to make sure that all the "i" are dotted and the "t" are crossed.....so it is in my nature to track all sort of things...and Excel is so flexible as well....glad I learn Lotus too many years ago to count....LOL....

Yari is right also, will never load all the bullets I got...at 2 AM (EST) I will go into the rifle inventory and write a backstory on a rifle, pistol of shotgun that I have....still writing stories.....all in Excel, not word...I do have a smaller database that I play with now and then....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »
Where would the world be without spreadsheets?  Most of our company is run by data on someone's clandestine spreadsheet, cause with all of the technology progress that's happened none of these complicated mainframe systems we've deployed over the years have ever allowed us to have everything playing nice together such that you can trust the info you pull out of it.  As a young engineer I was designing injection pump camshaft profiles with a Symphony spreadsheet on a floppy disk for our "high tech" (at the time) low emissions engines.  Still have a few of the printouts & the floppies, just don't have anything to read the files with anymore!

At any rate - when do you get your hands on that new Savage and did you convince him to send you the original barrel?
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad