New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Waterfowl and upland birds  (Read 229 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
Waterfowl and upland birds
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:41:43 AM »
My brother-n-law came out to visit along with one of his friends from work.  We planned to head out west toward the panhandle to hunt at a buddy of mine for a few days for waterfowl and quail/pheasant.  We would return to my place and finish the trip with some waterfowl hunting on the lake.  I have never seen so many ducks in my life!  We had a four man limit within 15 minutes!  Ducks were piling in faster than you could load your gun.  It was a fantastic experience.  In addition, the majority of the ducks were widgeons.  We also had a few gadwalls, ringnecks and a mallard just for good measure.  Later we suited up for quail and pheasant hunting.  The quail population is down 75% this year from last so we weren't expecting much.  To my surprise, we flushed two coveys and ended up bagging three birds.  The next leg was pheasant hunting.  We walked a waterway full of water and debris therefore not expecting much.  Near the end we flushed one rooster.  I was so tired I just watched it fly.  I still do not know why I didn't shoot...oh well.  We returned to the truck and ordered a few pizzas for the evening meal.  We were all worn slap out.  We grabbed well earned hot showers, drank and few beers with the pizza and turned in around 9 PM.  The following morning was similar regarding the ducks.  On the return home, I received a call from the game warden.  He asked if he could hunt with us the next morning.  I said sure and eagerly awaited for the following morning to arrive.  He showed up around 6 AM and the four of us took off toward a spot I haven't hunted in a while.  I reiterated more than once, I am not promising anything regarding birds.  The lake was up 3' and we still haven't had any cold weather up north to push the birds down.  To my elated surprise we killed 8 mallards but could only retrieve 7.  I would have been thrilled with 1 or 2 birds, but 8 was phenomenal!  While hunting with him I quickly realized he was a duck hunter for the day not the game warden.  We all had a great time. 

The last picture I snapped is the terrain of western OK.     

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Waterfowl and upland birds
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
wow, what great hunts. my bro-in-law in WA just sent me a pic of a bunch of mallards. they are finally showing up in WA

congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »
What a great time you guys had, good shooting everyone except for the ONE who forgot to shoot.  --099-780 Great pictures
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
Great hunting!!! Glad you got into birds.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:02:26 PM »
Congrats Been, sounds like you are in a fantastic place for hunting a variety of critters!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 06:41:26 PM »
Looks like you guys had some awesome hunting, congrats!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »
Thanks everybody, even Gutshot..LOL.  I forgot to mention we had multiple pintails and one goldeneye within reach, but had already limited out so all we could do was watch.... :2) The wife and I plan on going Sunday morning.  A friend is coming down the following week to hunt while the wife will be in Kansas City.  We never got the cold weather this year to push them south as normal. Season ends Jan. 27th.   

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 05:08:45 PM »
We're finally starting to see a bit of a return to typical January weather (still not bad) so maybe you'll see a strong finish to your season Ben.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad