New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Question for Florida Hunters Deer/Turkey  (Read 265 times)

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Question for Florida Hunters Deer/Turkey
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:06:47 PM »
With surgery this year then move to Florida next year looks like I have to get into new hunting grounds/style.

Over 65 so resident license should be cheap?

I wont do fishing as I dont have a boat nor will I ever get one. I suppose there are plenty of day boat trips I can take where they provide bait/gear etc in case I like it.

A few questions on Florida hunting:

Not sure how tags/permits work out, bag limits, cost etc. Deer  / Turkey

I wont have an ATV so I have to be careful on any club I find or you recommend that wont break my bank to join.  I would like to be in a club where I can hopefully get help hauling out a deer. I saw a great video of a club with thousands of acres that they did an ATV video of. Nice but they have to go long and deep to go to hunting spots.

I am not thinking about public land hunting as I figure it would be crazy crowded, long hauls in and out and I really like to hunt with friends of club folks that respect your spot, have new friends and help each other out etc.

Know of any clubs to join?

Anything else to consider ( other than getting very good snake boots and chaps!) ?

Thanks!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Question for Florida Hunters Deer/Turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
I have nothing to offer on hunting down there Flint, too far out of my stomping grounds.  But I hear you can do some good python hunting!   Don't even think you need a permit for that?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:27:38 PM »
They do a lot of fishing off piers and bridges down there in FL.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:51:00 PM »
Nope. Just a deer or Turkey hunter. Really not into other critters on land or under water
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:08:58 PM »
Flintlock, all license fees, hunting and fishing, WMA permits, M/L, archery, crossbow, etc. are free with the exception of a Federal Duck Stamp for residents 65 and over.  If I recall, you're moving to the south west coast, I'd bet you could get some responses from your Fire Department brothers down there.  The WMAs are hunted by quota systems to avoid overcrowding, not sure how that works, has been over 45 years since I hunted a WMA.  Years ago it was 1st come, 1st served, line up at the gate type deal, kinda' ugly at times.  A lease would probably be your best bet, sometimes it takes a little while to get lined up as there are waiting list in some areas, especially in Central Florida.  If you were coming to the Panhandle I'd be able to be of more help.
Treefarmer

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:14 AM »
Thanks treefarmer!

All my FD buddies are bikers not hunters, go figure.

Two of them go on an annual deer hunt upstate NY. They never got a deer. I suspect they tell their wives they will hunt but may be a guys week away playing poker LOL.

The other guys just did a big ride down thru the keys on their Harleys. Bikes are not my thing.

I used to drive from up here to hunt in Geiger, Alabama on my buddies family land before he died, so driving from south Lee County to the Panhandle woukd be a breeze.

That is great about no fees for the licenses.

Please keep me in mind if something opens for 2020 as I expect moving down there later this year will be too hetic settling in to get time to hunt.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline psebg65

• 6 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
Flint - it would take at least 2 pages to answer your questions.  The state is broken into different regions that have their own hunting dates.  Recommend you go here https://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/ to get an overview.  Florida has a lot to offer with hunting but it's different than most other places and a lot hotter!  Good luck with the move!
There is nothing more beautiful than sitting in a treestand watching the world come alive.
A bad day of hunting is better than any day at work.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
Thanks.

I hunted Georgia and it was warm. That was long ago. I think my old bones will prefer warm over cold anymore @--0--0121
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project